We've stayed 8 nights at the Double Tree and I'm writing this review on our last morning over here. All in all our stay was very good. We chose this hotel as my wife is six months pregnant and we wanted a certain standard which we definetly got here.
The rooms are very sizeable with a very comfortable queen bed and everything you would expect in a room. Wifi was amazingly fast and I could even do a online based global conference call with 80 participants on our first day. (Yes I had to work for one day..how sad is that? ;-) ). The hotel's IT Manager was very helpful and spend some time on my laptop to improve the speed of the internet connection further. So I was very impressed by that personalised and dedicated service and the very fast speed of the wifi connection.
The breakfast is quite good with freshly baked croissants, pan cakes, omelettes etc. Juices are freshly squeezed and there is a very nice selection of local fruits. The coffee we've had here was without a doubt the best coffee I've had in a hotel and trust me I've travelled quite a lot around the world. I've asked for the name of the coffee and we will buy it in Stone Town as we want to enjoy the taste of Zanzibar back at home as well.
The staff is just excellent. They always greet you friendly and have a great smile. It's difficult to pick out anyone and hard to remember all their names. So thanks to all of you guys, but in particular to Jumaa, Bertha, Abdul Mohamed, Ali (bell boy) etc.
Dinners were delicious. There was always a great variety of seafood, curries, pasta, salads, beef etc. and the staff is very flexible and does the cooking according to your little special requests. Desserts were also very nice. On certain days the dinner would be at the sand beach, which made it much more enjoyable and romantic.
The pool is well maintained, clean and has a good size.
The "hotel" beach is not very big, but at this time of the season it was big enough to have sufficient privacy.
The public beach is also very nice and there is low and high tide every day, which provides a great variety. During low tide you can do a jogging or walk out and collect things and during high tide you can have a nice swim in addition to the pool. The local beach boys offer a lot of activities in addition to the hotel's standard arrangements. So you can do quite nice deals through them, but sometimes they can also get on your nerves.
We did a couple of snorkeling and scuba diving tours. Compare the prices as you can achieve quite a discount.
The hotel has also a nice spa, which one of the othere hotel guests from Scotland used. She really enjoyed it. We used the "local" massage facilities and they offer you a great bargain, excellent massages and it also helps the local community.
The hotel is located in the local village "Nungwi", which has only a few shops. It's nothing for great shoppers. Those have to go to Stone Town, which is about an hour drive from Nungwi. So this hotel is a great place for people who want to be in a quite place, which is exactly what we were after.
There is a also the local mosque close by for those who would like to pray with the local community (2-3 min walk). As Zanzibar's population is 95% Muslim, you can expect the food to be halal. Unfortunately, the hotel offers also bacon, but if you speak to the staff the make sure that your food is cooked in separate utensiles. Perhaps the newly appointed and very very friendly Foods&Bevarage Manager can consider whether really bacon has to be offered in the hotel. There are so many guests who don't eat pork and I'm sure thet staff would also prefer not to handle pork. Above all, there is soo much other food choices available so it wouldn't harm anyone not to eat it for a week. The seafood you offer is fresh and so much healthier anyway.
Room for improvement:
The gym is a joke. Very tiny and with equipment which pose a health hazard. I was very disappointed. In fact the gym was one of the reasons we had booked this hotel.
The pool tables are not even. So when you play the balls roll into the middle. Not very amusing when you are trying to play properly.
There are no balls for the pool to play with the other guests in the pool.
Also there is a great beach and we coudn't play any beach volley as there was not ball offered. I asked several times. It really doesn't take a lot to source a beach volleyball. Very disappointed about that as well.
Also we couldn't find any board games, which you would also like to play during a beach holiday.
There is noisy chats in the morning at around 7-9am when I believe the staff prepares in their staff quarters for their working day. Their staff building is behind the hotel rooms, which is great to see that the hotel offers its staff accomodation, but perhaps they can be made aware to be a bit quiter in the morning. But that's really the only complaint I would have about the staff.
The bar's music in the evenings could do with some better choices.
So as said at the beginning, all in all it's a great, calm hotel with excellent staff and brilliant food. With the few improvements on the equipment mentioned above, it could become an amazing hotel, which I'm sure the manager will sort out soon as I believe the management is striving for excellence.
Actually, we've just changed our flights with Turkish Airlines to Sunday morning so that we can stay 2 days extra in Nungwi. Precision Air was also very flexbile in changing our flights with no extra fees charged. So we'll probably stay in the Double Tree for two more days as it was just a very nice holiday, especially with my beloved six-months pregnant wife.
Best regards from Ufuk and Fazilet from Turkey....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island