“A very good hotel with great staff and food in a quite location in Nungwi North of Zanzibar”

DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Hi,

We've stayed 8 nights at the Double Tree and I'm writing this review on our last morning over here. All in all our stay was very good. We chose this hotel as my wife is six months pregnant and we wanted a certain standard which we definetly got here.
The rooms are very sizeable with a very comfortable queen bed and everything you would expect in a room. Wifi was amazingly fast and I could even do a online based global conference call with 80 participants on our first day. (Yes I had to work for one day..how sad is that? ;-) ). The hotel's IT Manager was very helpful and spend some time on my laptop to improve the speed of the internet connection further. So I was very impressed by that personalised and dedicated service and the very fast speed of the wifi connection.
The breakfast is quite good with freshly baked croissants, pan cakes, omelettes etc. Juices are freshly squeezed and there is a very nice selection of local fruits. The coffee we've had here was without a doubt the best coffee I've had in a hotel and trust me I've travelled quite a lot around the world. I've asked for the name of the coffee and we will buy it in Stone Town as we want to enjoy the taste of Zanzibar back at home as well.
The staff is just excellent. They always greet you friendly and have a great smile. It's difficult to pick out anyone and hard to remember all their names. So thanks to all of you guys, but in particular to Jumaa, Bertha, Abdul Mohamed, Ali (bell boy) etc.
Dinners were delicious. There was always a great variety of seafood, curries, pasta, salads, beef etc. and the staff is very flexible and does the cooking according to your little special requests. Desserts were also very nice. On certain days the dinner would be at the sand beach, which made it much more enjoyable and romantic.
The pool is well maintained, clean and has a good size.
The "hotel" beach is not very big, but at this time of the season it was big enough to have sufficient privacy.
The public beach is also very nice and there is low and high tide every day, which provides a great variety. During low tide you can do a jogging or walk out and collect things and during high tide you can have a nice swim in addition to the pool. The local beach boys offer a lot of activities in addition to the hotel's standard arrangements. So you can do quite nice deals through them, but sometimes they can also get on your nerves.
We did a couple of snorkeling and scuba diving tours. Compare the prices as you can achieve quite a discount.
The hotel has also a nice spa, which one of the othere hotel guests from Scotland used. She really enjoyed it. We used the "local" massage facilities and they offer you a great bargain, excellent massages and it also helps the local community.
The hotel is located in the local village "Nungwi", which has only a few shops. It's nothing for great shoppers. Those have to go to Stone Town, which is about an hour drive from Nungwi. So this hotel is a great place for people who want to be in a quite place, which is exactly what we were after.
There is a also the local mosque close by for those who would like to pray with the local community (2-3 min walk). As Zanzibar's population is 95% Muslim, you can expect the food to be halal. Unfortunately, the hotel offers also bacon, but if you speak to the staff the make sure that your food is cooked in separate utensiles. Perhaps the newly appointed and very very friendly Foods&Bevarage Manager can consider whether really bacon has to be offered in the hotel. There are so many guests who don't eat pork and I'm sure thet staff would also prefer not to handle pork. Above all, there is soo much other food choices available so it wouldn't harm anyone not to eat it for a week. The seafood you offer is fresh and so much healthier anyway.

Room for improvement:
The gym is a joke. Very tiny and with equipment which pose a health hazard. I was very disappointed. In fact the gym was one of the reasons we had booked this hotel.
The pool tables are not even. So when you play the balls roll into the middle. Not very amusing when you are trying to play properly.
There are no balls for the pool to play with the other guests in the pool.
Also there is a great beach and we coudn't play any beach volley as there was not ball offered. I asked several times. It really doesn't take a lot to source a beach volleyball. Very disappointed about that as well.
Also we couldn't find any board games, which you would also like to play during a beach holiday.
There is noisy chats in the morning at around 7-9am when I believe the staff prepares in their staff quarters for their working day. Their staff building is behind the hotel rooms, which is great to see that the hotel offers its staff accomodation, but perhaps they can be made aware to be a bit quiter in the morning. But that's really the only complaint I would have about the staff.
The bar's music in the evenings could do with some better choices.

So as said at the beginning, all in all it's a great, calm hotel with excellent staff and brilliant food. With the few improvements on the equipment mentioned above, it could become an amazing hotel, which I'm sure the manager will sort out soon as I believe the management is striving for excellence.

Actually, we've just changed our flights with Turkish Airlines to Sunday morning so that we can stay 2 days extra in Nungwi. Precision Air was also very flexbile in changing our flights with no extra fees charged. So we'll probably stay in the Double Tree for two more days as it was just a very nice holiday, especially with my beloved six-months pregnant wife.

Best regards from Ufuk and Fazilet from Turkey....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank UfukFazilet
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Ufuk & Fazilet,

thank you so much for the praise! I know the staff will really much appreciate reading your review.
I can only repeat what you have said already as we know our weaknesses. Our new gym equipment has left the US and is on it's way although the shipping may take some time.
our staff is actually well aware that the guest rooms are very close and we will surely repeat our reminders of quiet preparation in the morning hours!

Your are going now to your last night in Nungwi and I wish you another pleasant one.
See you tomorrow morning!

Ahsante sana!!!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked three nights here and got a great deal. All inclusive for €157 a night. I now know why. It was (very) low season, raining every day, and the place was virtually empty. (My fault accepted).The two major downsides are the location, as its miles from Stonetown, at least a $50 taxi ride, more if you book through the hotel, and as other reviewers have said, I thought there would be something around, a small village with restaurants, shops etc but forget it. Its totally underdeveloped once you step from the hotel 'sanctuary'. Either side on the beach you are mobbed by locals, I went out the front gates one day and got 100 yards and came back as there is no where to walk and the rain was inches deep on the road. I thought the food would be fantastic but its not. The quality is very poor and most nights I was scraping what I could get from the buffet as it was finished and never replenished. Dubai it ain't! I love my grub so that was a major disappointment.
That said, the upsides are that I found the staff welcoming and friendly, the room I had was lovely, no bath but flat screen TV comfy bed, mosquito net, mini bar etc etc,and good fast wifi. The pool area is very nice and in general the hotel is lovely with a nice vista out to sea. I feel that everyone is doing their best but it needs to be lifted to a beach nearer the airport, and the cooking team needs a few days on Jumeirah beach in Dubai to see how a buffet should be done. Outside is quite third world to be honest, but thats not the hotels fault. I never felt threatened, but there is literally nothing but a few shophouses repairing clothes, sawing wood etc, then again maybe I never ventured far enough. What I did see was sufficient.
I don;t see the point in so much difficulty, expensive local flights after your long haul (I came from UK via Nairobi),visa cost, Yellow Fever jab cost, 70km taxi ride cost etc to arrive in (albeit nice) a resort hotel you can find similarly and much easier in a million other places in the world. The draw for me was the exoticism of Zanzibar but to be honest, now I have ticked my bucket list, I won't be headed back anytime soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tonyjane
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear tonyjane,

thank you for taking the time to let others know your experience.
Yes we are a secluded place for relaxation and we are located definitely in a third world country!
Nevertheless we will work on the improvement as much as possible.

All the best and sunny regards!!!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Nice place to take rest with all the family. The food is wonderful, service is correct and the room are correct. Calm, the road to acceed the hotel is without comment: when you arrive there you can't imagine that you will a Hilton in the place

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jocelyn D,

we really enjoyed having you with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your
experience. i hope that after the rainy season we will have again a chance to improve the
roads surrounding the resort.

Sunny regards!!!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

When attending a conference, what could be more desirable then a stunning view, excellent service, good food and fun when you step out of the air conditioned meeting room? All this and more awaits the business traveler at Double tree Zanzibar.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear K S,

it was really a pleasure to host your group and I hope that we have the chance
to see you again soon!!

Sunny regards from Zanzibar!!

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay here April 5 - 7. I thought the rooms were beautiful and sparkling clean, especially compared to what I encountered on the rest of my African vacation. Service was slow but it is how they do things and after a while you get into the flow of it. The only downside for me was the location. I had the impression that Nungwi had a lot going on but that was not accurate. This place truly is a resort and there aren't a ton of food or activity options around. A couple days was perfect for us. They arranged for a reasonably priced spice/Stone town tour for us combined with a transfer to our nexr hotel in Stone town which was also wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2013
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear mullydad,

thank you very for your review, we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. It is great to hear that you have so much enjoyed your stay.
It has to be admitted that Nungwi is really a place for relaxation, it is very quiet up here!!!

Karibu sana!!!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a nice and short stay in Zanzibar Nungwi, in April 22 for only 3 days , it is off season so there was not alote to do and they just rebuild the pool, we were offered a compensation right at the time of the checkin. food is great , breakfast lunch and dinner , to save money i would suggest to book all inclusive , even if you go out for dinner somewere else.. single meal`s are very high in price. The rooms are very nice and clean. the location is off all normal places so a real place to relax and do not worry if you are 1h in the car on strange streets , this is the way to the hotel.

Room Tip: beach view prefered