We did a ton of research of Zanzibar before booking and glad that we did. We enjoyed our stay at the Double Tree in Nungwi. We were greeted with warm chocolate chip cookies when we arrived and checking in was a pleasant experience. The hotel has a great pool area and easy place to unwind for a few days. It seems to be a popular Italian "package" tour destination with a few scattered folks from Europe - mainly UK. Once the tide goes out the beach is a great place for walking. The village is nothing really to visit but the locals are really friendly. It is a Muslim based faith so dress accordingly when leaving the resort.
I only had a few things to comment on that I feel that the resort could work on. The service at reception is fantastic, but it really ends there. If you are not part of the all-inclusive getting meals beyond breakfast is a bit of a challenge. The A-la-carte service is out of the bar and although the food is decent it takes 10-15 mins to get a menu and then another 40-45 mins for the food to arrive once you have ordered. My recommendation is to order at the bar and then go to sit down. Don't go hungry as you will be ready to chew your arm off by the time the food arrives. The bartenders are the ones serving the bar guests and the a-la-carte tables (4 in total) so it can be a challenge for them.
Another area where they could improve upon was around the pool. If you are looking for a drink or food you need to get up and go to the pool bar to order and collect your drinks and food. There are not any staff who monitor the pool for cleanliness or service.. which I found odd since there a ton of people looking to make a living in the area. The guests take glass bottles and glasses to their cots and leave them on the umbrella bases, on the cots, under the cots and in the grass. Glass at a pool is never a good idea. The plates, etc often are there for 2-3 days before they are removed. It seems like this is not anyones job. The cots are strewn about and never straightened and creates a maze to walk through or around daily. There isn't any towel drop bins to be found so when guests leave the pool towels are everywhere. If you come late to the pool you never really know what cots are free. A tip for the hotel.. Hire staff to service and clean around the pool area from sun up to sun down. Pick up the plates etc regularly and realign the deck chairs daily to keep the pool area clean. Plastic glassware is much safer at a poolside. Distribute more garbage cans around the pool and beach area to limit the amount of blowing garbage on the property and have used towel bins by the entrance to the buildings and by the spa so patrons can remove them when they are done with the cots.
Overall the resort was a great place to rest and relax and fairly reasonably priced for the area. I would stay here again and recommend it to others as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island