I stayed here with a friend after we finished an 11-day Northern Circuit safari. We took a taxi from the airport which took nearly an hour. We arrived at the property and were greeted with a cool towel and a cold drink, which was perfect as it was very hot and humid. The lobby area was pretty attractive, and although roofed, otherwise open-air.
We were then taken to our room which was pretty nice and big. We had two good size beds which had nice bedding and were very comfortable. However, the sheets and comforter smelled of mildew. We mentioned this to the front desk but we never got all new sheets. There were plenty of drawers for clothes, although the drawers tended to stick. This could be because it was so humid. The bathroom was plenty big too. However, we didn't get anything better than just-less-than lukewarm shower water, and when you showered, a pipe leaked behind the toilet (again, never fixed despite requests).
The room also had very strong air conditioning and a ceiling fan, which was great. The only problem is that Zanzibar is subject to numerous power outages - some last a few minutes, others last an hour or more. But this is an island-wide issue, so I can't hold this against the Doubletree. The safe in the room worked well and was plenty large.
Staff was very friendly throughout, even if not necessarily efficient. We arranged a day trip to a spice farm and Stone Town and the arrangements were great, and so were both parts of the tour (private). We also had them arrange for a van to the airport and it was only $10 more than the taxi arranged at the airport ($70 versus $60) so I recommend arranging transportation through the hotel - the air conditioned, spacious van was nice.
Zanzibar is incredibly hot and humid and I've never experienced heat and humidity like it. I found it much hotter and more humid than Thailand and Cambodia. But the ocean in the afternoon was nice. The pool was rather warm so not as refreshing as the ocean. Of course, you couldn't go in the ocean until the afternoon because of the tide issues. But afternoons in the ocean were perfect. And the water was just beautiful and there were no big waves, and the beach was huge with soft sand.
There was plenty of seating at the beach and by the pool, and plenty of towels. There's a swim-up bar at the pool too.
We had breakfast every day at the hotel and it sufficed, although it wasn't anything special. We had a couple of buffet dinners at the hotel too but they were pretty bad. The other nights, we walked down the beach (when you get to the beach, walk left) and tried other places. There are countless restaurants/bars when you walk left . . . the farthest we went to was the Z Hotel, which was a little less than a 15-minute walk. However, we kept finding the same crap - beautiful, fresh seafood that they overcooked beyond belief. Well, at least we saw a couple of shooting stars and got to see the area. If you're going to eat elsewhere, bring a flashlight, which will help you considerably on the beach. I had one that I wore around my head for safari.
Overall, a pretty nice stay, albeit with some issues, mostly the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotel.de, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island