DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
$390
$668
Orbitz.com
1,737 results
All reviewsdouble treepool barfisherman's grillall inclusive packagedifferent themestone townfront desk managerbeach frontlow tidelocal villagebeach boysspecial thankshotel groundsthe hotel managerocean viewevening entertainmentour honeymoon
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed two nights at Doubletree which occupied a beautiful area by the beach. At check-in we were greeted with ice tea and a very tasty cookie (and some less than charming, semi-drunk youths around 20 years old, partying by the pool at high noon). The room was generally very nice, save for a quite rusty shower head.

The food was ok, although even the cheapest restaurants back home (in Norway) will produce something at least as good. We found much better food elsewhere in Nungwi and Zanzibar.

Everyone in the staff were smiling and greeting us every single time they were near us. Their actual level of service and attentiveness could be better, though. Once my wife and I tried ordering food at the pool bar. They said that her pizza would be ready before my club sandwich (that I ordered without cheese) so when she got food and I didn't, I didn't react at first. But as nothing happened I got up and asked for my meal. This spurred some Kiswahili discussions behind the counter, but no explanation to me. I sat down and kept waiting. Other people arrived, ordered ... and got their food. Once more I asked about my club sandwich with no cheese, and once more a Kiswahili discussion erupted. This time there was however an apology in English and finally (more than an hour after I ordered) the sandwich arrived - with cheese. I scraped off the cheese and ate the soggy remains.

Still, the premises and the room warrants a 4. It's also a bonus that East African Divers has a counter on the grounds.

1  Thank dancestance
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Dear boogienorway,

I hope you arrived well back home!! It's great that you have enjoyed your short stay
with us.

I have to apologize for the way we handled your order at the pool bar and I have reviewed the incident with the employees involved already.

All the best for your family and yourself!!! and hope to see you again!!!

Sunny regards and karibu from Zanzibar

Reviewed July 22, 2012

First of all it is not a Hilton, it is a Doubletree by Hilton, don't forget!
The resort is very nice. The view, the sunset is amazing. The pool is nice but very small. And you can not swim in the sea. The sea is extremely shallow and you can not walk a meter without stepping on a sea urchin. We had to go to Kendwa.Rocks to swim. However at Kendwa there were huge brown jelly fishes in the sea. Therefore forget Nungwi and Kendwa if you want to swim.
Doubletree personnel was friendly, the food was ok.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 127. Facing the ocean. Perfect.
1  Thank buraks71
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear buraks71,

thank you very much for your response on your recent stay at Doubletree Zanzibar.
We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us!!
I can definetely understand your comment on the sea conditions, as only on high tide the water is 2 meters deep at the beach.

All the best to you and Karibu sana from Zanzibar!!!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

So we were there 7 days in march 2012... and enjoyed fully.. the hotel is amazing.. as well as staff too... the food is okkkkk... but if u are travelling in this part of the world u have to lower your food expectations... for example i got sick as soon as i arrived in Tanzania from Germany and UAE.. couldnt eat that much in hotel.... the strange thing abt the hotel is that there is from time to time blackout in electricity, but few minuts later it comes back.. the room are really lovely... flat screen, nice beds, toiletts are okkk, not up to the standard but they are fine.. and the room is kept clean all the time.. nice pool... the amazing beautiful white sandy beach is just in front of the hotel... the good thing is that the hotel has free wi-fi.. everywwhere on the pool, in the room, in the restaurant.. etc etc... so we could tweet our pics to friends... Once i got really sick in the night, so i talked to reception at 3 am, they called a doctor who arrived within 30 minuts ... bill was 100 dollars a lil bit overpriced.... ´the rest is fine... i would rate the hotel very good 4* ....so, i would recommend the hotel every time if the price is ok... ;-)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2012

All we needed - amazing views from our beach front room, big pool, nice resort area, great food and friendly staff:-)....and very good cookies!

Not hiltons fault - but we had a completely diff thought of Zanzibar - but literary its was: hut hut hilton hut hut in Nungwi.

We didnt do any tours - just relaxed and for that Doubletree indeed was perfect:-)

Room Tip: We had beach front (325) with stunning sunset views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Dear anaa05ad,

it was great to have you with us and thank you for your review.
You are most welcome to enjoy our famous cookies another time!!
We'll keep them warm for you ;-)))).

Sunny regards from Zanzibar!!!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This place is just on the water and it is gorgeous. The room was well appointed and had a great little patio but I booked a beach view and got a pool view, I guess if I sat on the balcony and looked right I could see a bit of water but I was expecting one of the rooms that lead out to the beach. Nonetheless, the place was still great and the staff extremely helpful and courteous. My husband and I were really sick and had to delay our trip and they were really accommodating despite the fact that we booked a nonrefundable room that we couldn’t make changes to. Everyone knows what is going on so it is easy to get things done. My problems with this place and every other place I stayed in during my trip to Tanzania was the toilets, they always had that sewer smell- not pleasant. The breakfast offerings were not so bad but dinner options did nothing for me and were really price compared to the other places in Tanzania. The other not so great things: the drive from the airport to this hotel is pretty long, over and hour and the place is pretty secluded. You are pretty stuck once you get to the hotel, there are a few places in the shabby little village that surrounds the hotel. There is a great little spa to relax and you can take a boat tour or go fishing.
Really worth the trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Evejoli

Dear Evejoli,

it was truly a pleasure to have you with us and I would like to say thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Doubletree by Hilton Zanzibar and would be more than happy to welcome you again!!!

Looking forward to your next visit!!!!

Sunny regards from Zanzibar!!