“Great beachfront hotel”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Calgary
“Great beachfront hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Spent 4 nights at this hotel in April after a 8 day safari. Wonderful pool, very quiet and relaxing, a great place to go after all the dust and travel of a safari. Nungwi was a bit further from Stone Towne than I imagined, but the hotel is not isolated on its own it is within walking distance to other restaurants on the beach. I was glad we did not go full board. Meals were average, and it was nice to have the option of trying different restaurants for a variety. Very mixed customer service -- some staff were very friendly and outgoing and others not so much. Service was a bit slow and it was low season when we were there, so I imagine that it would be worse when busy. Rooms were very beautiful and the beach excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RMATravel4
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear RMATravel4,

we are glad that you enjoyed a relaxing stay after your safari!!!!
We very much appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience.

Hopefully we can welcome you again!!!
Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Resort.

Sunny regards from Zanzibar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We'd go back to the Doubletree on our next trip to Zanzibar. I was hesitant to go to Nungwi given what I had heard about the tides and beach erosion, but we are glad we went. The certainly is a lot of variation in the water levels, but the Doubletree offers you a lovely area to sit and relax, and the pool is an excellent alternative when the water is too high/too low. Our room was kept very clean and always elaborately decorated with flowers. Check-in was a breeze and the hotel staff were very helpful. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and worth the price; however, the a la carte food was very inconsistent (size of portions varied dramatically, sometimes certain sides came with a dish and the next day you'd get a totally different side and sauce, etc.) as was service from waiters and bartenders. We had several issues in the room (AC leaked like crazy, the showerhead needed major cleaning and bathroom needed major TLC, the humidity kept things smelling a bit musty) but at the end of the day felt that it was a very good deal for the price point. Between the extra pricey all inclusives and the cheap backpacker hostels the Doubletree is probably your best middle ground with beachfront property in Nungwi.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pequeypuchu
Dear pequeypuchu,

thank you that you found the time to place a review about your stay in Zanzibar at
Doubletree by Hilton Resort!!!

We are lookng forward to welcome again in the near future.
May the memories last until you can refresh them here with us.

Sunny regards and Karibu
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was a last minute trip and I felt very fortunate to find a beach front all inclusive resort on such short notice, 4 days, and for a reasonable price ($165) as I didn't want to hassle with additional charges or finding places to eat, etc.

Check-in was fine, as I was seated in the lobby area upon my arrival, given a cool towel and a drink. However, this was after a $70 shuttle fee. After the fact, I looked into normal prices for taxi's which are $25-40. Definetly got ripped off by the establishment.

The following morning I woke up feeling pretty terrible, fever, chills, stomach cramps--yup, food poisoning! I arrived the previous morning and all meals had been taken at the restaurant on site so I have to believe it came from their food.

Speaking of their food, I was SERIOUSLY disappointed by the flavor and selection. After all, Zanzibar is known for their unique flavors, spices and mixing of cultures in the food. Twice in a row I ordered the fish with my meal, Tuna and Sea Bass, both times the fish was overcooked and underseasoned. Portion sizes are also small, which I guess would be fine if you actually enjoyed the full 4 course meal, soup/salad, starter, main course, dessert. The one time I ordered the chicken soup it was coated in a film of oil and had paltry pieces of chicken in it. Further, some things may be lost in the translation such as "salads, bruschetta, meatballs, etc" I was expecting items like pilau, seafood, and more local dishes. Maybe they try to hard to please an international clientel but it just doesnt hit the spot. Curry flavor was redundant instead of varied like it normally is, with different bases of coconut, tomato, cumin, red sauce, green sauce, yellow sauce, basil, chili, etc. Breakfast left something to be deired as well, not as many fruit selections or side dishes.The hours are great though, 7am-11am for breakfast, 1-3pm for lunch and 7-10pm for dinner.

On a a postive, the food you can order from the pool bar is pretty decent, your basics of sandwiches and pizza. After the 3rd day, I switched to that for my lunch option.

The bar/shisha area connected to the restaurant is definetly the highlight! Waitstaff were attentive and friendly and it was nice to relax at the end of the day. Plus, it's about the only entertainment in the areas since the resort shuts down at midnight. The only on site time filler a pool table and ping pong table.

Don't forget your bug spray! Don't forget your flashlight, power does go out a few times a night, but that's normal.

Also, don't forget your ear plugs! My reservation was for 5 nights. I woke up 3 days in a row with maintenance banging away around 8-9am. Yes, I understand the hotel strives to keep things functioning. However, the hotel was NOT at full capacity, more like 30 percent capacity when I stayed, meaning they could have planned maintenance better or moved people around. One day they had mainetance stop work, even after I said I would move. Sure enough, the next morning I woke up to maintenace banging away in the room next to me and above me again. Yet again, they made them stop work instead of moving me. Doesn't seem like an effient way to do business.

The area around the hotel is pretty secluded. It's situated about an hour north of stone town so the only local things to do are diving and beach related activities. Also, beware the tide, it's low in the morning and ladies are out catching fish. In the afternoon it rises. Oh, and it's not really "beach front" there is a sand area, a cement walking path that parallels the beach, then a drop off/step down to the water, not a conventional "beach area". The pool makes up for that though, just beware, it's only a depth of 5 feet. It is open from 9am-11pm and the bar from 11am-6pm.

A spa is on site, which really should be advertised better, as well as a menu provided in the room so it's simpler to make an appointment.

If you need last minute items, make sure to get them before you come here as there isn't a shop on site or nearby. The local area is a bit sketchy and takes some navigating to get to, plus, due to it being a muslim area, you have to be conscious of what you wear and where you walk/roam.

The hotel is pretty, the grounds are pretty, the view is pretty, the food is terrible, local activities are non-existent, maintenance is annoying, the local area is sketchy, shisha and the pool are positives.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Commanche D
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Commanche D,

we are pleased that you have taken the time to share your experience with
Doubletree by Hilton Zanzibar.

Certainly we have not been able to make your stay as pleasant as we wanted.
Please accept my apologies for that.

I can assure you that we are taking your critical notes as inducement to create a great guest experience in our property.

For example we are presenting a local menu beside the "regular" menu with one special East African Dish.
Also the restaurant staff is introduced to offer a larger portion or a second main course if guests don't start with the full menu.

Thank you very much for choosing our resort and I hope we can welcome you again to proof our promises.

Sincerely

Stephan Sandmann
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two weeks in September 2011, for our honeymoon.

We had a sea view suite, which was nice, although the bathroom could have been better. We often didn't get hot water, unless we left complained or left the water running for a while.

The hotel had quite a few power cuts during our stay, but they didn't last for more than a few minutes at a time, so it was never a big problem.

We had a lovely welcome to the hotel and generally found the staff to be very personable, although clearly not fully trained.

Drinks were rarely chilled sufficiently, so you should ask for plenty of ice.

The food was good, we had a very nice buffet on the beach on several nights and the pizzas at the pool bar are the best I have ever tasted.

The entertainment was locally sourced and good.

The beach was lovely and it's nice to see the locals catching fish every morning. It was very quiet when we stayed, so we never had at trouble getting sun loungers.

It's worth going on a trip to Prison Island to see the turtles and it's also worth seeing the Red Colobus monkeys, which are indigenous to Zanzibar.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, although there is room for improvement.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Queneth_Veneth
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Queneth_Veneth,

thank you very much for taking the time to post the review.
All the staff really appreciates your positive comments specially after quiet some month after you have left!!!
You are right, there is always room for improvement, and we do so every time ( i.e. we can serve now chilled drinks even without ice :-)

I hope the lovely mermory will stay forever!!
Sunny regards from Nungwi
Stephan
Ahmedabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Hi All
When I checked in they offered me sea view balcony room instead of sea front deluxe room which I have booked it. I don’t know why they want to cheat me in small thing as almost resort was empty.

I have complained for hot water in my room from day one. But they haven’t sorted out till I checked out and though maintenance staff and desk staff all know. And I have got in answer was sorry that’s it. They even not bothered to change my room either. It was just warm water coming from all the taps. Also bathroom condition was so bad that all the taps and shower and rack got rusted and also there is no shower curtain either. It wasn’t standard of Hilton Group. I stayed in room no. 134. I have taken the pictures of taps and shower and cleanliness of bathroom. The hotel and also its not worth for money. Location was very good of the hotel. But hotel is not up to the standard of Hilton group at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank krunal_2
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Krunal Patel:

thank you very much for taking the time to fill out the survey.
The direct communication with our valued guests is the most helpful way to improve our standards and reach our goals of total customer satisfaction.

I sincerely apologize, also in the name of the entire staff, that we have failed while you have been our guest. I very much regret that I couldn’t be at the property to take care of your needs.

Definitely is what not the aim of our staff to provide you with a room in a lower category then you have booked. As I can follow the records you have been checked-in to room 233, which is in the 1st floor of our sea front cottages. We have defined the five separated cottages in the middle section of the resort as our deluxe seafront category as they are directly located at the beach.
We may have caused a misunderstanding, because of the ground floor and the first floor but all five buildings belong to the same category.

The insufficient condition of the bathroom fittings and the water supply to these special buildings had been identified already. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to proceed with the exchange as fast as we had wanted to. Since the beginning of May we could start in the standard category to remove the bath tubs, just today the first thirty new bath taps and shower sets arrived in our secluded location.
By the end of this month all 96 rooms in the resort will be up-to-date equipped, the deluxe category will have an additional pump to supply sufficiently hot water.

I hope that we can welcome you again to convince you with our performance.

Stephan Sandmann
South west uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

After overlanding for three months it was a pleasure from the moment we walked through the entrance untill we left. We were personally greeted by the manager who had recently taken over the position. Checkin was a pleasure and we were offered a cookie and cold drink before being shown our room several hours before offical checkin time.
The rooms are beautiful and well appointed with views overlooking the beach and pool. Free wifi
in the room. There is nothing anyone could complain about. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank travellinggirl53
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed here back in Jan 2012 as part of a climb to Kilimanjaro.

The good:
- The hotel is right on the beach which was private and located in the remote nothernmost part of Zanzibar.
- The hotel room I received was beachfront with a walkout right to the lounge chairs.
- The Indian ocean is very warm and gentle enough to swim.
- I had a massage there as well which was amazing.
- Very relaxing.

The not so good:
-The restaurant over there was average and overpriced.
-The hotel room was also average, but considering the price I paid not bad.
-Check - in was slow.
-Very far from stone town and the airport. It's almost 1 hour away and the taxi cost is almost $50.

I would recommend this hotel despite the shortcomings. It's very nice and has a great beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beach on the 1st floor.