Me and my two friends had booked a suite room for New Year's holiday through hilton.com website. The reservation was confirmed and fully prepaid. Once we arrived around noon the staff at the reception seemed puzzled. They asked us to take seats and after about 45 min wait the manager came over and said that the room we've booked is not available and that they would instead give us two separate rooms. This was to be the arrangement for the New Year's eve and then next day we would be able to get the room we had reserved and paid. I had the feeling that someone at the hotel had given our room to a fiend / relative for the big night..
There is also a robust prostitution ring working at this hotel. We had no issue with that until the last night around 9pm our door bell rang and someone was saying "room service." There were too girls outside in jeans and tight tshirts and asked me if I had called room service, I said no and closed the door. About 20min later same happened but this time it was a guy in hotel uniform. He had the same girls with me and he asked if we would need room service. Very annoying and total invasion of privacy. I do not mind is such meat trade happens in bars etc but coming to your room is bit too much..
Food at the hotel is a disappointment other than the pizzas you get from the pool bar. Service was slow and the quality of the food was consistently bad. On last day we mentioned this to French (?) hotel manager who then sent the chef to our table.. he was very nice and polite but did not seem to have a clue what was going on in his kitchen. You are much better off eating outside of Doubletree, just head to the beach and left and you will find plenty of places to eat in..
One final thing. Doubletree is in front of the busy part of the beach with lots of traffic going on. Also there are corals on this part of the beach and the water is very shallow, making swimming difficult. The best beaches are again to the left from the hotel (opposite direction of the light house).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island