“Great Location, Basic Accomodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nungwi
Union Beach Bungalows
Ranked #17 of 24 Nungwi B&B and Inns
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Great Location, Basic Accomodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

I was in Zanzibar on a quick weekend escape from Dar by myself so I hadn't booked ahead. I found Union Bungalows via the bus driver I took from Stone Town so no doubt I set myself up to pay his commission also. The price of the room started at $40 and I managed to get it down to 40000Tsh..was even pleased with myself until I spoke to others that night who had paid 25k for the same room the night before (It was low season)!

The room was a two double bed room just behind Loca bar. For me this was perfect, just off the beach and not too far from the bar for music, food and drinks. The room was basic. I only discovered later that the bulb in the main room was missing and when I had a shower it was cool at best. The mosquito nets on the beds appeared fine and the room was clean if well worn.

I'm pretty robust so I didn't find it terrible but I'll probably be back to Nungwi but probably not Union Bungalows.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Elora, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed at the Union Beach Bungalows and it was wonderful! Had a room on the beach within earshot of the ocean waves. The room had mosquito nets, a ceiling fan and was quaint, clean and spacious with a small porch to sit and enjoy the scenery. The cost includes breakfast which consisted of fresh seasonal fruit, coffee and a cooked breakfast. The friendly staff were always available and addressed any questions or concerns that we had. They do not have a restaurnant but there are a number of different places to eat (Loca or Waves). We generally sunbathed and spent the day at Loca and ate dinner and watched the sunset at Waves. The more expensive and touristy restaurants are a quick walk down the street if that's what your looking for. However there was a little restaurant not more than 5 min walk away in town called Chef's Bakery that had fabulous food. Nungwi is a quiet town with a simple life. If you are looking to sit and relax, walk the beach or just simply read a book, this is the place. There are a number of different tours available.

Room Tip: If you want a/c the rooms are further away from the beach.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

It was ok but the room I had was right on the beach (shouldn't complain) open the door and hey it's right in fron of you. however because of that I didn't feel secure. There were guys hanging around a stone throw away all day and people can see in every time you open the door. Maybe the other rooms better location with more privacy.

Room Tip: Check location of room is not too close to the beach - find some privacy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the union beach bungalow to escape the hustle and bustle of Stonetown. I wasn't looking for anything extravagant, just a clean place that I can lay my head down for a night as I only planned on relaxing by the beach. Upon initial inspection all appeared well with two single beds, mosquito nets, air conditioning, and clean towels provided. We accepted the room at $30 US dollars a night with breakfast included.

As we relaxed in the room, we noticed that the mosquito nets had small holes with some being secured with tape of plasters. Whilst trying to get rid of a fly, the biggest cockroach was in the bottom on the mosquito net. Both my friend and are didn't have the courage to tackle it ourselves so called hotel staff. They immediately dealt with the matter but it meant I could not relax when it came to sleeping. Breakfast was lovely with fresh fruits, beverages and a cooked breakfast.

These bungalows met my budget and served its purpose as the beach was not even a minutes walk. But be warned as in terms of entertainment, there is none with few places to eat unless your willing to walk to neighbouring hotels. I ate at Loca restaurant next to the bungalow which was great as I used their sun loungers and just enjoyed the amazing scenic views.

If I was staying in Nungwi longer then I would have definitely looked at paying that bit more and staying in a bungalow / hotel. But with what I paid for Union bungalow, it served its purpose.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank juicy459
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place is zero frills but the price is right and , moreso, I havent found a place that is truly that much beachfront. If you get the rooms right upfront you are very close to the water. No long treks or impeded views. Isn't much to entertain yourself here so as long as you are comfy with walks and just enjoying the amazing beach, is a great option. Sme really great deals can be had.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Very quiet resort, probably not ideal for families with young children as there is not much entertainment for them and not ideal for party chasers either.

Nice food at the restaurant and other places to eat a short walk down the beach.

Decent sized rooms, not luxurious to any stretch of the imagination, but by far nice enough for a few night to experience the beautiful scenery of nungwi.

Many beach activities available during the day such as kayaking, fly fishing and diving.

Staff not overly friendly but will order you good prices taxis if you require.

Couple of nearby bars but for nights out I recommend a trip to kendwa rocks! (15 mins in taxi).

Overall fairly basic accommodation but good for the price and an outstandingly beautiful location.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank JosieBaulch
Oslo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed two nights with two friends at Union Beach Bungalow. We hadn't booked anything in Nungwi, and as we were budget travellers, we chose Union for its good price ($45 per night). But we soon started to regret we hadn't spent a bit more on a better place, because the room was far from decent standards. There were two beds; one double and one single, and the single didn't have any mosquito net (which was highly necessary!), while the net on the double bed was full of holes. There were cigarette holes in the bed sheets, and the towels we got didn't smell nice at all. There were a lot of spider's webs and dead insects. Going to bed was therefore not very enticing. We did, but all the three of us slept in the double bed as the single bed was so nasty.
Having said that, the manager was very helpful and wanted us to be comfortable, but it shone through that this place needs some better administration and some ambition about living up to a bit higher standards (clean the room properly!).
Union is closely situated by the beach, but some sunbeds would be good. I don't think I would go back to Union, but it's (almost) perfectly fine if you intend to only sleep in the room, and spend the rest of the day outside enjoying Nungwi's beautiful beaches.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mariehli

Travelers are raving about these Nungwi hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Sunset Kendwa
#2 of 41 in Nungwi
Mnarani Beach Cottages
Mnarani Beach Cottages
#14 of 17 in Nungwi

Been to Union Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!