“"What you expect from a budget accommodation"”
Review of Safina Bungalows

Safina Bungalows
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nungwi
Safina Bungalows
Ranked #19 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Nungwi
London, United Kingdom
“"What you expect from a budget accommodation"”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We paid 30USD for a double room - with en-suite. Very basic, mosquito net had many holes in it, pillows were rocks, but you could say you get what you pay for - minimal. About a 2 minute walk from the beach so convenient. Breakfast was pretty poor - we had an orange + half a banana plus an omelette riddled with ants....and some bread rolls. It was fine for a budget stay - but don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The bungalow is situated behind a big hotel complex near a small busy beach. Rooms are basic and quite dirty - there were even cockroaches in our bathroom. The mosquito net had holes in it. Door lock was quite worn out.
The room price is quite low for the area though. However, if you want to find a nice quiet place to stay and relax, this definitely is not it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The plan was to stay for 4 days with a group of 12 people. I was so disappointed as they stole my money on the first day ( 600USD) from my bag which was left in the room. I complained to the manager Ally who informed me that they have only one key per room(padlock). It difficult to believe that a Hotel will have one key per room.

The rooms are basic,Toilette leaked and the breakfast was not worth it . The Manager gave me a vague answer too as to why the Safina Bungalows does not have a website . I booked the hotel via a local contact

Please avoid this Bungalow, don't be tempted by the cheap price ( 50 USD for a double room). There was a better value around the corner

Eddy

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The lights and door lock did not work. We had to ask for toilet paper every day and only received 1 roll for the 6 of us staying in a dorm room. The staff were extremely unfriendly. And when I had paid upfront for 3 nights and my plans then changed and needed my money back, they outright refused. Despite the fact we were their only and best customers for 5 days! There are plenty of bungalows in Nungwe for the same price or lower. So don't bother with this one. And their breakfasts were meager and tasteless. For budget travellers, try a few local bungalows which are a couple minutes walk inland from the beach, but cheap and same standards as these tourists ones. Try "Traveller's Guest House" and James Guest House. They are $10 US a night. Ask locals where they are, as they are not publicized or online (i don't think). I stayed in both and they are fine, and secluded.

• Stayed October 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I want to be fair and will therefor say before I write the review I don't know if they were busy renovating the bungalow or not, and no one could asnwer me.
So I'll just state the facts:
It's close to the beach
The room was dirty
There were not toiletseat
The toilet leaked
No hot water
The floor was in a terrible state
Paint splatters covered the floor
The view was not nice
The breakfast was the usual fruit, an egg, coffee and tea

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Not a bad hotel by any means when you consider the price.

I went to Nungwi to see the nightlife because there are a lot of hotels in the area, some bars and some restaurants. Coming from the East coast of the island where the beaches are pristine, quiet and very spread out it was just what I was looking for.

Safina is tucked in amongst quite a few of the lower end hotels of the North. No beach front as its behind the Z Hotel but if you are in the hotel room just to sleep, hakuna matata.

The room and bathroom are both spacious and the space provides you with everything you need at the price point... AC, water, mosquito netting, towels, etc. Staff seemed friendly though I imagine its just the front desk and housekeeping as there are no dining facilities.

Being ZNZ, I suggest calling ahead to find out how the hotel is dealing with power outages - sometimes the island goes without power for quite sometime and hotels are forced to shut off their generators for extended amounts of time. Safe to be aware of this before getting the key to your room!

Overall a safe bet, especially if you are looking to check-in, hit the beach and bars and only use the room to sleep.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Sweden
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Me and my wife stayed for two nights at Safina Bungalows right next door to Z Hotel. We visited Nungwi during low season and the second night we were alone on the hotel and the last night we was going to "celebrate" on the Z hotel restaurant. But it turned out that they missed several of their premium meals, so we went a couple of complexes north and had beef..again.

Nungwi is all about the beaches that during low tide stretch for miles. You can walk fairly long distances along the shore line. But remember that when the water returns the beaches shrink and you should seriously consider heading back. Getting lost in the village is not ideal, especially if you are alone, white and wearing beach wear.

Our overall thoughs of Nungwi is that it is somewhat overrated. Yes the sunsets are amazing and so are the beaches. But the food choices is somewhat limited and we were glad to return to Stone Town.

The best part: Dining while looking at the sunset.
The worst part: The minivan ride from and back to Stone Town.

2 Thank restillzanzibar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
Baraka Beach Bungalows
Baraka Beach Bungalows
#29 of 46 in Nungwi
Langi Langi Beach Bungalows

Been to Safina Bungalows? Share your experiences!