Tripadvisor
Nungwi
1,881 results
All reviews samaki restaurant spices restaurant coco bar captain marco italian chef animation team main restaurant infinity pool swim up bar stone town our honeymoon buffet style ocean suite water aerobics all inclusive package evening entertainment the general manager
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2020

The hotel is located in the northern part of the island where the tide is small. Our room was large and very clean. Also, the bathroom was large and well divided. The staff is very friendly and knows English and Italian. The two restaurants could have had a greater variety of food. The fruits are extraordinary, I ate the best mango ever! The beach and the ocean are fabulous. Crystal clear water like and sand of an immaculate white. Go on the beach two kilometers left and right, you will discover very beautiful things! Attention! The sockets are English system but have 220V. Also, US dollars issued before 2013 are not accepted.

2  Thank CostinEnache
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Costin,

Thank you for your very kind review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciated your positive remarks about the large rooms, good cleanliness, beautiful beach and sand and our wonderful staff. I shared your remarks about the variety of food with the Executive Chef but we were delighted to hear that you'd enjoyed the fruits!

Thank you for updating our future guests regarding the US Dollars but it's actually bills printed 2006 and prior that are not accepted at this time, 2007 and up are fine.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 9, 2020

My girlfriend and I spend 3 nights at from the 28th to 31st of December 2019. We booked this hotel literally the day before we arrived, which we normally don't do for various reasons. As a result we paid a heavy price, both in terms of cost and the limited options available for last minute bookings. This was not our preferred option, with others already fully booked we decided to settle on 'Royal' Zanzibar.
This hotel is far from Royal and is not a five star hotel at all. The hotel is dated, and in desperate need of refurbishment in most areas. With the exception of the reception area and some guest rooms the property is generally dilapidated. The quality of the finishing, paint work, landscaping, in and around the guest buildings is is poor. Our guest room did appear to have been recently modernized, but the lack of quality finishing and attention to detail is still very evident. We were put in building D4 on the 4th floor. There was no elevator in D4 and appeared that this is the same throughout the property. I find this astonishing for a so called 5 star! Personally, I don't mind using the stairs, as I am a active person, but what about elderly guests, or persons with reduced mobility?? This property has done very little to cater to them.
When we arrived, and were checking in at reception, we overhead a departing guest agitated and anxiously speaking with someone over the phone about a late taxi. Unbeknown to us, this same issue would face us.
We were told to have lunch at the seaside restaurant which was open, as the other buffet restaurant was not at the time we arrived. I opted for a chicken burger and fries – the worst I have ever eaten. The chicken fillet in the burger had a bone that I had to extract from my mouth, disgusted at the lack of care in its preparation. The cheese used in the burger was dreadful, it looked like and tasted like rubber. The fries were undercooked. It was a complete disaster and we were genuinely worried that this was the standard of cuisine at this resort. This was the only time we ate at this restaurant. The rest of the stay we ate at the buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The quality was better then the disaster at the seaside restaurant, but it was not 5-star. By, the way this property only has 2 restaurants?! None of which have an indoor air-conditioned seating space. This is completely unacceptable for a 5 star hotel, particularly in the heat of Zanzibar. There should be both indoor and outdoor dining options.
The so called Gym is laughable. I was looking forward to working out but didn’t dare. The facility is in an OUTDOOR area! The equipment dated, unhygienic and rusty.
The room itself was pretty comfortable, ensuite, a safe, a small seating area, a large flat screen TV and reasonably good selection of channels from news, to movies and sports, but plenty of room for improvement. Although there is a mini-bar, its unstocked!! Why?? They could not put a few drinks and snacks and refill daily? This is bizarre for an “all-inclusive” resort. Oh, and don’t expect any room service, because there is none. This in itself is astonishing. There is also no iron or ironing board in the rooms.
The hotel prides itself with staff that speak multiple languages, which is helped by some expatriate staff. However, the level of English spoken is very basic for most staff encountered at reception, dinning areas, beach etc.
The final nail in the coffin was our departure from the hotel. We called the reception the night before to inform them that we needed a taxi to the airport for the following morning at 10:30am. The following morning, we called again to reconfirm this. When we arrived with our bags to checkout, and told them we have a booking for a taxi at 10:30am, we were met with bemusement from the front desk staff. They had no idea what we were talking about and looked at each over in confusion. Such a simple task nearly resulted in us missing our flight. After a lot of complaining, the lack of professionalism and incompetence was confirmed. We were charged $90 for the taxi ride that was almost an hour late. A complete lack of organisation and basic management was astonishing for a so called 5 staff hotel. The front desk manager didn’t help much except apologize repeatedly. In the mists of continuously checking up on the progress of the taxi with the hotel’s front desk, we had enough, and decided to call a taxi ourselves for which the rate was $50!! We were told that we could not get the $90 back and the taxi was only 5 minutes away. 5 minutes turned into 15 minutes. The whole experience left us deflated and anxious.
I would not recommend this hotel. Its in need of serious renovations to bring it up to standard of a 5 star, the staff need training on proper management and hospitality. I have been at 5 star hotels elsewhere in Zanzibar, and the mainland – Tanzania, and found in comparison, Royal Zanzibar to be way below the standards required.

Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank AfroJoester

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and were sorry not to be your preferred option from the beginning. However I would like to point out that the majority of your concerns are clearly outlined online or when guests contact us with questions. We do not offer room service and our mini-fridges are listed as that because they are not stocked, although if you wish to take drinks back as part of the all-inclusive program you are of course welcome to do so. We don't offer irons in the rooms for safety, although if you call reception we are pleased to provide an iron and board for a short time whenever it is needed. We clearly list our two restaurants and while they offer the capacity to seat all of our guests at one time it's true that there are just the two. Our buffet is air-conditioned for the safety of the food and to help keep the flies to a minimum but our restaurants are open air but covered by a makuti (thatch) roof that keeps the temperature considerably lower than anywhere without it's heavy shade. I also noted your comment about elevators and would like to point our that we have 12 guest room blocks. Having an elevator in each of them which would encounter problems every time the power went out would be far more worrisome to most of our guests than a couple of flights of stairs. We are careful to note the ages of our guests when assigning rooms and anyone that is elderly or has decreased mobility is automatically provided with a ground floor room. It is both unfair and untrue to say that we have done little to cater to these guests as we spend considerable time ensuring that we do assign rooms in the best way possible. But again, there is nothing in our documentation that would suggest we have elevators. Our staff try hard to speak not only English but some Italian, some German, some Russian, some Polish, some Hebrew etc. Many of our guests tell me how hard the staff try to learn some of their language from each person and nationality they encounter. But as we operate in a place where the country has only started teaching English in some schools in the last year and the major spoken language is still Swahili, I don't know what more we can do other than continue to push the team to speak all the languages of our guests as much as possible.

I am very sorry about the chicken burger and the disappointing meal you had at The Cliff. We do expect better and have brought your concerns to the attention of the Executive Chef and the team in the kitchen. I was also very sorry to hear about the taxi. That simply shouldn't happen and I'll discuss the situation with the Front Office Team to ensure we manage the situation better in the future should there be such a delay again.

Thank you for your patronage and your feedback.

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

I guess this is my first bad review ever! As I mostly write them when I realy had a great experience and want to share it.
So i went to this hotel with family on Dec 29th 2019. and stayed for 9 days.
I could write a lot but I wont. Most inportant - It isnn't 5 star, not eaven by african standards. Nothing is as in pictures axcept for a beautiful beach. But there are a lot of other hotels on the same beach. Food is bad, hotel is unkept, rooms ( standard room) are horible!! And it was very expensive. Not worth the money at all.
Constructive advice, if you are going to Zanzibar look for new hotels beecause as local agent told me, they all get bad within a year :) or just opt for smaller private accomodation if you are on budget.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Sasha0403_12

Dear Sasha,

We're very sorry to have been your first bad review. I'm also sorry to hear that a local agent would do such a disservice to the many wonderful resorts in Zanzibar that have been open for years and are still very well thought of and reviewed, including Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort in most cases.

We take a great deal of pride in the fact that many of our guests tell us the resort is even better than the photos, something I much prefer to having great photos and a resort that doesn't match. The only area I would agree is that the Superior Room bathrooms need updating, something we plan to do later this year.

I'm very sorry that you were disappointed.

Reviewed January 6, 2020 via mobile

A faking 5 stars, really expressing a 2stars services, not able to accomplish any problems such as air conditioning or insects in the rooms, noisy and dirty, insufficient for electric supply, food poor and always the same; many guests were suffering enteritis. A place to avoid

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank alessandropJ5438QM

Dear Alessandro,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and that you didn't feel your concerns were addressed. While it's true that we occasionally have problems with the AC units, they are normally quickly addressed and we have never had a situation where a number of guests were suffering enteritis. We do everything that we can to ensure that the resort is quiet and are usually very successful so the noisy comment comes as quite a surprise. The insufficient electric supply is actually incorrect as we have two substantial generators, each capable of powering the resort. When the power goes out one of them is turned on for as long as the main power remains off. I can only assume that you're not blaming us for the power outages when they are simply part of the experience when traveling in the developing world and entirely out of our control.

I'm sorry once again that you were so disappointed by your stay and wish you pleasant travels in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2020

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel for two weeks, in that time we did not have hot water in room or did not have water at all, renovation was in progres so we had constant banging,terrible food...
The WORST THING is that general manager and my wife many emails in which gm promise refund, btw we paid 4168 e , at the end gm told us that they can offer us 250 e but EVEN THAT WE DID NOT RECIVE
DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL , IT IS FAR AWAY FROM 5 STAR HOTEL

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bogdanvidovic14