“wow , amazing”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The rooms are spacious , well set out . The hotel must have the best , cleanest part of the beach of all the resorts on the north side of the island . The pools are spectacular and big enough for every body to have their own piece of pool and that you don't feel crowded . The animation team is super and is the heart and soul of the resort . The food is well presented and tasty . The fish skewers is a must for lunch . The variety of drinks is good and the Dawa cocktail is brilliant . The overall service received at the resort is excellent . Their are a variety of tours available but i recommend the Spice farm , Stown town and prison island tour . These are great and give you a good feel for the island and its people . Overall a brilliant holiday .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chris d
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

What a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and we've passed on your thanks in particular, to the animation team. We think they do a great job and are delighted that you feel the same. We've also thanked the Chef and the Bartenders!

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Royal Zanzibar Hotel. Our stay at the resort can only be described as absolutely spectacular. Some of the things that really made our holiday memorable are the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to always assist guests, the food (Alex deserves a mention here), the entertainment and the constant supervision from Management who are always visible and available to talk to. I must make mention that the reason why we chose this resort over others is the GM's policy of responding to all reviews on Trip Advisor. Sadly for us, she was on leave whilst we were at the resort so we never had the opportunity to meet her but she must be commended for this. All in all, we had a wonderful holiday and will definetely return to the Royal Zanzibar. My thanks to all of the Staff for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterSmith1_13
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

I'm so sorry that I wasn't there to meet you, but delighted that my confidence in my team was well placed. What a pleasure to know that they continue to take wonderful care of our guests even when I'm many thousands of miles away! I know that they'll be sharing your review in my absence, but I'll double check that your thanks have been passed on to the team, particularly Alex, on my return.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future and trust that I'll be there to say thank you in person on that visit.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked an all inclusive package from Johannesburg to stay in Zanzibar for a low season week at a great price.

To get the minor criticism out of the way, the check-in was a bit chaotic and took a while as the front desk wasn't too organized and I found the very spacious room to be functional but a bit sparsely furnished with a small TV with not great reception.

Other than that our stay was amazing. The staff were amazingly helpful and nothing was too much trouble. As it was low season Kim, the manager, specially organized a child minder to entertain the kids so that mom and dad could have some time out. The kids had a blast. Kim was always around to attend to anything that was out of place and somehow always with a smile on her face! The food was excellent, especially the dinners. The evening meals were at a different venue each night, from the pool to the beach to the verandah. There was live entertainment every night. Fantastic to have dinner on the beach with live music playing in the background. There are several pools to choose from, lovely lounging areas and an excellent variety of food constantly on the go. The rooms were done up perfectly each day with creative touches like folding the towels up as swans surrounded by flowers on the bed.

The "beach boys" who hang around on the beach in front of the hotel can be a bit of a nuisance as they constantly pester you to buy stuff or do trips. Having said that we did book a couple of boat cruises through them and the trips were excellent. The dhow trips (on rather rustic dhows!) are great with very competent crews and part of an amazing holiday that we thoroughly enjoyed.

So thank you to Kim, Robert, Alex, Umi and all the others that gave us a special trip that we will never forget.

Room Tip: The front rooms have better sea views, most of the others have garden/pool views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank zimsean

Thank you so much for your terrific review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort and for the beautiful photos you posted as well!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we were happy to be able to ensure that the children were looked after. We are trying to ensure that we do better with our Kid's Club, unfortunately we don't often have children participating making it a challenge to plan. For the future, we are looking at a sign up program that provides information regarding the daily activities for the Kid's Club and asks parents to sign up for the events they wish their children to participate in.

I apologise for the chaotic check in, we are now taking guests that arrive individually directly to their rooms and handling the check in there. We hope that this will make arrivals smoother and help families in particular to settle in quickly. Your comments regarding the room are noted and will be passed on to our owners for their consideration when we next address the guest rooms.

We will pass your compliments on to the team, it's always a pleasure to share such positive feedback with them. I know that they'll be delighted you enjoyed the dinner events, as much work as it is to put them together, we enjoy the results as much as our guests do!

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Lovely place with great positioning and a small beach. Billed as five star which I think it certainly has the potential to be but with a few wrinkles which I really feel need to be ironed out before it can truly be considered as such.

Stayed during the rainy season which meant that much of the restorative work was going on to thatches etc around the complex. However, there was also work going on to the main entrance hall roof which took me a little aback when I first arrived and I was ushered round the side. I felt like protesting that I was actually a fee paying guest rather than a tradesman! However, I guess a short subsequent explanation of what was going on by the GM allayed my fears.

Rooms themselves were fabulous and roomy, made even more so when I was upgraded to a suite midway through my week's stay! Large, airy and with the best bathrooms I have seen for a long time, I could not have asked for more from the rooms. Most people there at the same time appeared to be on an all inclusive basis, and the food and drink were simply superb. In fact, in order to facilitate the binge eating, I resorted to ever increasing laps of the several swimming pools on offer before each meal!

Location is superb and the enthusiasm of staff was pleasing but a couple of things for consideration by the management team :

1. The English of the staff was somewhat suspect and often, stuff came out of the kitchen without being ordered. Is this really a complaint?! I guess the wastage could be better controlled through some basic English tuition?

2. The gift shop was simply enormous and I couldn't help thinking that it might be better used as a conference venue or even a film theatre, something which I didn't see anywhere else on the island. I'm sure multinational organizations like the UN or AfDb would love to stage conferences or team building days here.

3. For a five star establishment, I was a little surprised when the crockery didn't match, but that is a bit nit picky. Still, it is five star, no?

Notwithstanding all of these observations, I had a great time here and would go back in a heartbeat if some or all of them were addressed. And of course, if I got the same upgrade again!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MisterPeripatetic
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted that you enjoyed so many parts of your stay, particularly after your rather disappointing arrival. Thank you for your patience with our Makuti repairs, we're grateful that they didn't stop you from having a great vacation. Chef also asked me to tell you how sorry he was that you had to continually extend your swims to deal with the food, unfortunately this is an area we simply can't offer to fix.

I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for the areas you mentioned that did not live up to our five star billing. English in particular is an ongoing challenge for our teams as it is not taught in schools in Zanzibar. We have reminded the Managers of their responsibility to use English only with our staff and will look again at other options.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We were delighted to hear that you would consider another visit and if an upgrade is all it takes, please just contact me in advance of your stay!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went in mid May and the hotel was really quiet and gearing up for peak season which suited us as i'm not keen on busy places.

Staff were so very keen to tend to your requirements however they often got the gist of the request wrong but this was due to their understanding of English which i can't critisise as i cannot speak any Swahili!

There was an excellent range of food choices and it wasn't death by buffet; there were often changes of dinner venues, bbq's, a lunch menu to order, no complaints here.

Entertainment staff, especially Joshford, were lovely, offering to take us for beach walks etc which helped in fending off the beach boys.

The rooms were huge, we stayed in B22, it was like a sponsored walk going to the bathroom at night the rooms were so big! Sea view and double bath = bliss.

I would happily recommend this hotel and its very lovely natured staff.

Room Tip: A or B blocks have best views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PLease_take_me_away

Thank you so much for your really wonderful review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's so nice to be able to share with our team that our guests have enjoyed their stay that much, although we are sorry about the occasional lapses in our English abilities. It's something that we continue to work on and we took the opportunity to remind our management team this morning of their responsibility to use only English with our staff and do our best to improve their communication skills. We appreciate that you were so good humoured about it!

We thanked Chef and his team and Joshford and the Animation team in particular for their efforts, thank you for taking the time to mention them.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, we hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My stay at the resort was spectacular. The facilities offered by the resort is superb. The resort is clean and very well maintained. The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. They attend to your every need with utmost perfection.

The catering staff are very polite and kind. They always know what to say and are very welcoming.
I will definitely miss the level of service that was extended to my wife and me during our stay.

The entertainment at the resort was also excellent. Always had us wondering what would be next on the schedule as far as the entertainment is concerned.

The GM was very welcoming and very friendly. It was nice to interact with her. I am hoping to make another trip to Zanzibar soon and I'd like to stay at the resort once again.

The only thing that I would like to highlight is that my wife is a vegetarian. It would be outstanding to see more "veg" menus for both lunch and dinner rather than having the same variety. I can't wait to see the variety of "veg" menus when I come visit the next time around. A good husband is one that always wants to see his wife satisfied in all ways.

Otherwise, KUDOS to the management and the rest of the team. Keep it up!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Rahim J

Dear Rahim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a terrific review of your stay at the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're delighted that you were so happy with everything, we have particularly thanked our staff for ensuring you were well looked after.

We have noted your comments regarding the vegetarian selections and will continue to do our best to address all of our guests dietary needs. Although the selection of available vegetables is somewhat limited, we are always happy to prepare separate or additional dishes for our guests who may not find something they are looking for on the buffet.

Thank you once again, it was lovely to meet you both and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Very nice place, staff may not all be too switched on always but they all seem to try, language could be the biggest problem. Lovely place to stay.. Food is ok, but with loads of choice. Manager Kim is always keen to listen to all complaints and compliments.. well done

Room Tip: sea view and upstairs is good
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Joan95610
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It was a pleasure to meet you and your family and we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you realized and as we discussed while you were here, tourism is still very new to Zanzibar and as hard as we try to find staff with good English (and additional language) skills, we still have situations they struggle with. I'm happy that you found them willing to try as that is one of the things we spend a lot of training time on. When they have a problem they can't solve, we expect them to ask supervisors or managers for help and figure it out so that the guest is happy and so they learn for next time.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

gm@royalzanzibar.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 19 in Nungwi

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!