We stayed at the resort in a suite from 18 - 25 August 2012. The suites are very well situated with a beautiful view well decorated and comfortable.We visit Mauritius on a regular basis and compared to hotels in Mauritius the Royal Zanzibar is no more than a 3 star hotel.The reasons are as follow:
When we arrived at the hotel I asked reception If there is guest information in the room and they assured me that anything we want to know about the resort is in the guest information in the room. There was no guest information in the room the television and aircon did not work and there was water leaking from the roof into the room.The floor was dangerously wet for a couple of meters.I contacted reception and second time I phoned they sent someone to assist us. The fellow tried to switch on the aircon and tried to get the television working.He did not succeed and call another guy.I asked about the guest information but he did not understand and I had to explain for couple of minutes what guest information usually looks like.Later he arrived with the guest information but it did not include important information such as the operating times of the restaurants.
The next fellow showed us where to put the room key to switch on the aircon.He could not fix the TV and he said he will report it. I showed him that the dvd didn't work either, there was no AV cable connected to the TV.He fetched a cable but the dvd still did not work.He said that he he would replace the dvd and will be back soon.I contacted reception a few times and they promised every time that the fellow was on his way to our room.The dvd was only fixed after 24 hours, but there was no remote,so I started allover again.After 3 days of promises that someone will come and repair the TV I went to the reception to report the matter again. The girl at reception phoned the maintenance department and she told me that they are on their way to my room.I was not satisfied and wanted to speak to the manager but I was told that she is not available.The other fellow at reception then phoned the maintenance department again and he told me that they are waiting for parts from Kenia and that the satellite will be fixed the next day. The TV did not work for even one minute during our stay. If they told us from the beginning that the TV will be out of order for a few days we would have accepted it but they were not well informed and made false promises.The bed was very hard and we did not sleep well.
The welcoming letter from the manager was written in Italian and we are from South Africa.There was no umbrella in our room and it took a few calls to reception and 3 hours before we received one.Two nights there was not hot water in our room and the maintenance department informed us that we shared a geyser with another room and if they must have used all the hot water.
The things that bother us the most at the spices restaurant is firstly the setting of the tables.Most of the time all the cutlery were not there or there were no salt or pepper pots.It happened twice that our table was occupied by someone else when we returned from the foodhall.Our drinks were removed from the table and we had to move to a new table and order drinks again.There were always something missing or finished.Mostly there were no spoons and/or saucers at the coffee station or the butter or some off the food was finished and there was no one to monitor this because they only become aware of the problem when it was pointed out. At the Coco Bar the staff were very friendly but the service was very slow, and although the restaurant is supposed to be open for snacks till 18h00 they usually close long before 18h00.A few times there was no coffee/expresso machine available.
We assumed that a 5 star resort will see to it that everything will be ready and working when we arrive or at least solve the problems immediately but this was not the case at this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spectacular view of the Indian Ocean from almost anywhere on the resort makes this all-inclusive property a wonderful choice for those guests looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation. Fantastic swimming pools, a beautiful beach with clear, turquoise waters and amazing sunsets all add to the ambiance! The rooms are large, approximately 80 square metres for Superior Rooms and 100 square metres for Suites. A spacious bathroom with a large bathtub, separate shower and double sinks provide luxurious comfort. All rooms include a quiet split-unit air conditioner, TV, fridge, coffee and tea making facilities, a safe and a terrace from which to enjoy the view. The warm, friendly staff invite you to enjoy meals in the buffet restaurant with a varied selection of local and international dishes or a traditional pizza oven near the beach offers a quick snack while you relax by the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Travelocity, Priceline, Jovago.com, Agoda, Hotel.de, HRS and Despegar.com so you can book your Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel Nungwi
- Seaclub Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort Zanzibar Island/Nungwi