The Z Hotel Zanzibar
$110
$89
TripAdvisor
1,217 results
All reviewsrooftop barsaruche restaurantreading roomrooftop suiteinfinity poolcinnamon restaurantour honeymoonboutique hotellobster dinnerstone townbeautiful beachnungwi beachwatching the sunsetfantastic hotelgreat cocktailsocean fronttour operator
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Whatever we write in this review, it will not do justice to the experience we enjoyed when spending our honeymoon at the Z hotel. From the first minute of our arrival to the last minute of our stay, Hafis and his staff made our stay one that we will never ever forget. We have never experienced customer service like what was on offer at the Z hotel, all the staff there are a joy to behold and nothing is too much trouble. From the complimentary champagne on arrival, the lobster dinner on the beach, the sunset cruise - all enjoyed in a beautiful setting. The spotless hotel is perfectly situated for breathtaking sunsets, complimented by great cocktails which in turn are a perfect accompaniment to the superb food that we enjoyed during our stay. Hafis and his staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and it was a shame to leave it all behind

1  Thank hobo25
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I am well travelled individual and expect nothing but the best when I go on holiday with my partner. She too has expectations which I try and exceed to the best of my ability. Boy do I try.

Anyway back to the hotel. As you can tell I am a very honest kinda guy. So I have no choice but to tell you my expereinces whilst we were there.

Upon check-in we were greeted by a warm and welcoming host who turned out to be the General Manager. He gave us a guided tour of the hotel facilities which made us feel so special and indivdual.

During our stay, other members of the hotel from the room attendent to the waiter were just as helpful and natural in caterering our needs.

I only wished that we stayed longer. I would like to thank everyone for a wonderful stay.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

This hotel was really wonderful after our safari - relaxing, lovely position on the beach, attentive staff. We had the 10 days here for our honeymoon and we had a great time.
The staff were friendly and always very helpful. The food is great, the rooms are lovely - we had one facing the infinity pool and the cocktail bar is greta for watching the sunsets.

As we were honeymooners they gave us some extras - sunset cruise, massage, lobster dinner and sparkling wine and fruit platter on the balcony when we arrived.

There are lots of things to do on the island and we walked up to the turtle sanctuary, visted the butterfly farm, did a spice tour, went out on a boat snorkeling and around the island. Do be careful on the spice tour as they want your money!! The hotel could assist more with tour information. We then went for a night in Stone Town which was a great way to end the trip.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a section of our honeymoon in July 2009. We had booked the sea side cottage, which is nice but not 'secluded' as it says on the website by any means of the imagination! If you are unfortunate enough to get the left-hand cottage (which thankfully we didn't) you're right next to the restaurant which can get quite noisy. We were in the right hand one, which is sat right next to another complex of beach apartments, so not secluded!!

The interior of the apartment was really nice and if you were going to stay in this hotel, I'd recommend staying in one of the cottages rather than the Z suite or the normal hotel rooms as you have your own sun deck that you can sunbathe on. The cottage is well equipped and you can even plug in your ipod.

When we booked they mentioned as honeymooners that we would get a few things as a way of celebrating our marriage. Two days into our honeymoon nothing had happened so we had to ask about it which kind of took the sparkle out of things!

The staff ranged from very helpful to sullen and rude. I really wouldn't recommend the Cinnamon bar for food, everythng we had there was atrocious. We'd been camping for 11 days prior to the beach part of our honeymoon and had great food every night, so they are really no excuses for the poor food or service we received. The food in Sarush was of a very high standard and the chocolate brownie is to die for!

The hotel facilities are nice, its clean. The swimming pool is nice but small. I can imagine in high season that it would be quite difficult to get a place. There is a small area on the beach. The beach again is small but gorgeous!

Check your bill on the way out. They tried to sneak on an extra meal that we didn't have.

Overall its a nice hotel. Not the nicest I've stayed in and certainly not worth the price tag that comes with the room. Oddly we enjoyed a stay at a hotel in Stone Town much better than the Z hotel and it was a tenth of the price!

2  Thank LauraShep
Reviewed August 10, 2009

The Hotel is very well run , the staff were friendly and attentive . The setting is fantastic . We stayed in one of the 2 beach side cottages , they were spacious and well equiped and the views were amazing...definitely the best rooms to stay in.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple