“The best hotel on Nungwi and especially the most charming”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel itself is a top experience on its own. Where to start? I would say that the staff makes you feel like a king, but yet in a relaxing and not too-pushy way. They are great, always trying to find a way to please you. Really really nice people.

Further on, hotel is a beautiful place that you don't want to leave. The beach is amazing, and as we heard, on almost every other place on Zanzibar, water moves around 300m during the day due to tides, so sometimes you have to walk really long time from the beach until you reach the water, but not on Nungwi beach in front of Z hotel, here it is minimal. So we were amazed by the great beach and the clearest water.

Great thing is that the hotel is just on the beach, so during the day, you easily switch between hotel sundecks on the beach and sundecks around infinity pool, and you just don't know where to go more :) Wherever you decide to chill on the sun, you can enjoy great snack choice, drinks, and super cocktails.

I would say that hotel is equally nice for couples, families and friend groups. Wi-fi works properly all the time. Food is nice, and especially the hotel restaurant you book for the night - always fresh fish prepared nicely with different spices and ad-ons.

Rooms are nice, we took the basic one and it was OK. We were walking around a lot, and this was by far the most beautiful hotel we have seen there. The only minus is that generally when on Nungwi, and you would like to visit Stonetown more than once or twice, it is quite expensive to always book a taxi there and back since it is around 120 USD both way per car. But we joined another couple who wad rented a car on their own, so managed to wander around the island.

At night, there are several bars around, good enough to have a drink or few, but the most amazing thing happens before the dark, when people sit casually on the beach in front of hotel, and watch the most amazing sunset ever. This is one of the greatest pluses of Z hotel location, and you can even enjoy it from the infinity pool, or even your balcony if you're on upper floors.

So, overall, this can not even be compared to other hotels around. It gave us perfect relaxing vacation after our safari. We LOVED it!

Room Tip: Ground level rooms are nice, but of course with no sea view. Still they make a great experience due...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Franka_Prepotente

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed at the Z Hotel after climbing kilimanjaro,on recommendation of a family member, and we certainly weren't disappointed by this little gem! Everything about our experience at the hotel was beyond perfect, from the location to the food, the z hotel exceeded our expectations in every single way. We went just to relax on the beach in this paradise setting but with such an array of things to do we quickly decided to explore. There is a number of beach bars to enjoy, filled with friendly locals and welcoming staff or just staying by the hotels infinity pool and watching the world go by is entertainment enough. There really is something for everyone in this breathtaking setting. The staff could not have been more accommodating and catered for our every need. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and I will certainly be back ASAP!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Ocean Front Cottage was my choice and what a great one it was
The Stunning Indian Ocean just below your feet on the Balcony . The noise of the Ocean just gave you that relaxed holiday feeling .The staff were so helpful by the end of my stay they felt like family. Great food and wow the Swimming pool . I couldn't ask for more.
A definite must
The other hotels around just f

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I visited Zanzibar for the first time and it was our first trip to the indian ocean. We chose the Z hotel because it was a small boutique get away which doesn't allow children under the age of 12 which meant we could enjoy a couples retreat. We've previously visited the Caribbean on a number of occasions but got fed up of high prices with relatively poor standards of hotels.

We'd opted for the hotel drop off and collection from the airport which was both timely, comfy and cost effective. The hotel was only an hours drive from the airport and the journey was interesting to see the local culture.

Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed and shown around the property, it is worth pointing out at this stage that from the airport transfer right the way throughout our trip the hotel's team were very friendly and allow you to ease into your vacation seamlessly, a prompt check in and check out made the entire process painless.

Other than the views provided by the hotels plot, which is fantastic, it's location allows some wonderful walks up and down the beach in either direction enjoying the white sands and crystal blue waters, if you head to the right of the hotel only 20minutes along the beach you'll be able to experience swimming with turtles in a natural reserve where the locals rehabilitate injured turtles caught in fishing nets, this is truly worth doing and, as with all excursions, is best booked through the hotels in house facility.

We were only at the hotel for 5days and as such were limited on the number of trips we could undertake but we managed to cram in a trip to prison island, the turtle sanctuary and a simply amazing day out on a privately rented catamaran. Whilst relatively expensive, a day at sea under wind power visiting deserted islands and sailing back at sunset, there are few days that I have experienced that could match that which we enjoyed. If you have the money this is simply a trip that you shouldn't miss as it will last with you forever. A captain, food and drinks are provided and is something that can be experienced between 6-8 people with ease.

The Z suite in which we stayed had a wonderful double balcony, with it's own Jacuzzi and separate bedroom and sitting room, the rooms are clean, modern but yet authentic and beds are extremely comfy.

What surprised me most about the hotel was the variety of ages of the guests, this is not a hotel that caters only for people in the twilight years of their lives nor the young rowdy crowd, my wife and I are in our early 30's and the mixture of age groups made the hotel a wonderful place to enjoy the serene surroundings.

The instant access to the beach and infinity pool in close proximity truly make this a wonderful hotel, I would highly recommend a few happy hour cocktails as the sun goes down.

This was a wonderful hotel in a great location run by a team of competent managers, if you're visiting Zanzibar look no further.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an excellent view of the Indian ocean, however if you're able to book the Z S...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James N
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is exactly what you expect. It was an amazing way to end our safari. The infinity pool looking out to the ocean is breathtaking. The service is great and there is a great choice of different areas within the hotel, depending on what you want to do. Free wifi is a bonus. Food is delish.
The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because of the beach, it can use a clean up. It wasn't all that inviting and not as gorgeous once you are walking into it. No real complaints since the pool was fantastic. Side note: I think me and my friend were the only non-couple at the hotel, so if you are going with a friend, be prepared for an air of romance surrounding you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1destination_unknown
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the Z hotel for 3 nights, and it met more than our expectations. It is a little expensive, but I thought the price was comparable considering the location and amenities hotel. It is the perfect size, just big enough for you to feel like you're in a small resort. The staff was really nice, epecially after you saw them multiple times in a couple of days. The room decor was perfect for us, contemporary and modern, with a balcony which we loved. There were enough chairs available which had a nice view by the pool, and also 2 canopy beds where you can be privately and read/sleep/or even watch tv! The buffer breakfast was good, but the food off the menu at the restaurants was just ok.

Each morning, it was so gorgeous to wake up to the bright blue waters. The hotel is located on a side of the island where I guess it's pretty common to get that view from other hotels as well. However, from what we heard/saw, not everyone had a beach area to lay out in, which this hotel did seem to have. Sure there are a lot of vendor boys out there, but I noticed they did not approach you if you were laying out in the hotel's private beach area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelBug926
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights whilst travelling solo as a treat "from me to me". I paid the extra charges and opted for the Ocean front cottage and I can truly say it was magnificent. The deck in front of the room is right on the beach and at high tide you feel as though you are in the water. I did not see the other rooms, so I cannot comment on them.

The sunsets are just spectacular and if you are not in a cottage, it must be worth requesting a room with a sea view.

The food was good, the service excellent and the massage at the spa really good.

There are many restaurants within walking distance so you can easily go for the Bed and Breakfast option without worrying about where to go for dinner, you have a good choice within a short walk.

If you want to have the option of ''mixing with the locals'' Nungwi is the place to go. Friends on the East coast stayed at a resort and other than staff, never had the opportunity to mix.

My only small gripe is the cleanliness of the beach. Whilst I appreciate it is a working village, the beach really could do with a daily raking or similar clean-up, I was disappointed with the amount of refuse (plastic bottles, clothes, shoes, plastic) that washed up.

Oh yes, be sure to ask for a bottle opener for your bar fridge.....

Room Tip: Ocean Front Cottage, certainly worth the extra price. Restaurants within easy walking distance.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#5 of 172 in Zanzibar Island

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!