“Sara”

Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest
Nykoping, Sweden
“Sara”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had high expectations and all my wishes came true. I was there to do the horseback riding safari and it was very professionally handled. We stayed at Ant's Hill and it was stunning. It is even more beautiful in reality than on the pictures. I can absolutely recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Founex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We picked this wonderful place to spend 3 days celebrating our 20 years anniversary with our children and our best friends. The lodge and the staff made it a stay that we will never forget. It was wonderful. We definitly recommend the horse riding safari even for beginners. Every meal was special and in a different place, full of surprises.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
La Fouillade, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited Ant's Hill on the spur of the moment with my 2 year old daughter. We had just one week left in South Africa and friend had heard that the Ant's properties were great. It was a fantastic experience. I've been on several safaris and really love being int he bush, but traveling with a small child can be challenging. The staff at Ant's Hill was always there to make sure both my daughter and I enjoyed our time. The property of the lodge and cabins is beautiful and serene. It felt luxurious without being fussy or pretentious. I didn't meet Ant or Tessa, but I have to assume they are wonderful people as the people that work for them are generous, conscientious and truly love what they do. I didn't hear a single complaint or frustration from anyone working or staying there in 4 days. The food is incredibly good, healthy and fresh. I went out on horseback with basically no experience and everyone was helpful and careful and ready to teach me whatever I wanted to learn. I asked to go for a walk and had a guide for my daughter and I to wander around, learning about plants, animals and insects at our own pace and for as long as we wanted. I really couldn't recommend it more for families or couples or anyone wanting a peaceful, interesting time in South Africa.

Room Tip: We had one of the cabins away from the lodge. We couldn't hear or see anyone else from our room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank whitesparrow
Freising, Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Above all, the friendly and competent staff made the difference!!! Amazing place! We had a week in South Africa to see the Big5. Jeep Safari, horse back riding, walking safari, swimming, fishing ... or just rest at the pool .... all was possible! great experience with the animals, the horses, the staff, the owners and the other guests. Kids want to go back next year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

After a few hectic days in Cape Town, Ants Hill was a perfectly timed escape from it all. Three hours drive from Jo'berg, two separate lodges (one more family focussed), both small and intimate and beautifully crafted from materials from the reserve - you feel a million miles from anywhere. Room was lovely with own plunge pool, meals either on your own or en masse with the other guests and guides which is great fun, especially under the stars with a big outdoor fire. Food was really very good indeed, breakfast and lunch buffets and 3 course dinner.
The big draw obviously was the safaris and activities - what was lovely about this is how tailored it is - you can choose riding, walks, bikes, drives.. whatever takes your fancy and all the guides and hosts (and their dogs) very accommodating and knowledgable.
The absolute highlight for me though was the sundowners. After your afternoon ride, you get to a little spot in the middle of the bush about half 6ish - seats laid out (with blankets if necessary), the saddles come off the horses (they are out wild overnight) and you sit there, G&T in hand, watching the sun go down. Definitely time to take a moment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Welcomed warmly by Penny, lodge manager, we were then offered an apology - it seemed that we were to have the entire lodge to ourselves for our 4 night stay! The timing of our visit just happened to be after the schools had returned. Words are difficult to come by to conjure up the perfection of the main lodge, its position and the simply staggering views. Our suite (aptly named Hideaway) was perfect and also had mind blowing views down the valley.
We had Penny as dining companion and hostess on our first evening and someone different for each lunch and dinner. Our guide was Chase who transpired to be knowledgeable, personable and great company,
It almost seems a stupid comment to make but if a single animal or bird had failed to appear we could have lived on the views and the Ants Hill experience alone. However, we did come closer to Rhino than we have ever been. We tried riding as complete novices under the watchful eye and expert guiding of Kate and Naomi and enjoyed it so much that we repeated it the following day.
A special mention must go to the canine population of Jack Russells, Bob, Marley, Harry & Lulu plus the adorable Bassett puppy Doodle.
A highlight for me (one bucket list item ticked off) was a target shooting experience led by Ant, himself. I had mentioned that I would like to try my hand at shooting a handgun - Ant then went to the trouble of setting up an 'ambush scenario' as he called it (deep in the bush) with a selection of cardboard villains as targets. The 9mm pistol was an experience but the highlight was a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum! Thank you Ant.
Thanks also to guides Sue & Henno, chef Peter, sous chef Eric and the lovely Martha
Blue skies & wonderful sunsets completed the experience and to say we were sad to leave would not due justice to our feelings on departure.
Wonderful, simply wonderful and such a personal experience

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb but we especially enjoyed Hideaway
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent three nights at the Ant's Nest and had an unforgettable time! We were especially delighted that even the youngest (18months) could join us on the horse ride safaris, on his own horse! It was also very interesting to be able to be part of the daily game reserve upkeep, so one day we joined the rangers and the vet on a buffalo rescue mission, which was very adventurous!
The lodge itself is just beautiful and the food and service was excellent.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaalwater
Kololo Game Reserve
#3 of 16 in Welgevonden Game Reserve
Jembisa Bush Home
Jembisa Bush Home
#3 of 36 in Vaalwater

Been to Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest? Share your experiences!