“We shall be back...”

Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge
Ranked #3 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Nyeri
Reviewed July 20, 2013

What a lovely place you have out there. I, my wife and son had a great time at Tafari. The place is wonderful and tastefully made. Staff are warm and welcoming especially Diana. We did some horse riding and biking and enjoyed ourselves fully. Early morning we watched as the sun rose over Mt Kenya – what a romantic sight!!!!! It was quite adventurous and we shall be back....
- Moses Kimani

Room Tip: the place can be quite windy, and if you are quite adventurous you can take the Viking tents but not...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Mary N, General Manager at Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hi Moses, the team at Tafaria prides in ensuring our guests truly have the best of the castle. Thanks for your feedback and see you soon

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The very first thing that catches your eye when you get to this place is the general arrangement..........things we only read from story books,or was real only in cartoons were right before our very own eyes.The place is tremendaously beautiful.The hospitality of the employees was commendable.There is a specific employee i really liked,her name is Mary,she is polite and very helpful.The many activities available at the Castle makes the whole experience enjoyable and fun.....Horse riding was my best.The rooms are spectacular and the thought of having the Lords room makes it all so different from the ''kawaida'' places.
The food was finger licking good....my oh my,i wonder where their cooks were trained.
We may have gone there for our office teambuilding but i definately want to go back there with my family.I am sure my colleagues will definately agree with me on this.The teambuilding package was relatively cheap.
The Castle is on a very exclusive piece of land with nice scenaries like the aberdares which am sure my daughter will love.

These guys ''Rock''

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Mary N, General Manager at Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Hi, we are happy to note you enjoyed your visit to Tafaria and thanks for the lovely feedback:). Your daughter will have lots of things to keep her entertained, horse back riding, quade bike, mountain biking, swimming and lots of fun at the Kids Kingdom! See you soon

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I like very close to Tafaria, and I've visited a few times and used their Aberdares safari service.

Their safari was TERRIBLE. I called and asked if they could bring my parents, a friend, and I to the large waterfall in the Aberdares, Karuru falls (second tallest fall on the continent.) They picked us up from my house, and then drove us to a tiny fall on the completely wrong end of the park, in an area where you can't even access Karuru (the area near Tafaria). We drove around the park a bit before they took us to Tafaria. The guide was new, and I don't think he even knew that Karuru existed, and he knew less than my American parents on their first trip to Kenya about plants and animals. (Okay, he was a nice guy, but that's not what I was paying for.) What a waste of money!

Afterwards we ordered some coffee at the lodge. Their coffee is excellent, but comes in large pots, so I ordered one pot for the four of us. About an hour later, they finally came out--with a very expensive pot for everyone! We were in no mood to argue, but after the failed waterfall visit this was like rubbing salt in our wounds.

Finally, Tafaria transports you back in time the same way a mini-golf course does. It makes no attempt at accuracy. That's fine, it's cute and fun as long as you don't take anything seriously! I kind of like it. But be prepared for tacky decor, and don't expect much from their activities! The rooms are very comfortable and clean, the views are good, the staff is attentive, and as previous reviewers have stated, it definitely different. But it doesn't come close to the other, older lodges in the area with staff that actually know something about the surroundings. Maybe in a few years.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Mary N, General Manager at Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Good morning Ariel, thank you for the feedback regarding your visit to Tafaria Castle and game drive. Kinldy get in touch with us on gm@tafaria.com so we can discuss your visit further

Reviewed May 14, 2013

It is like you are being transported into a different time....the time of kings and queens & knights! A wonderful change to the 'usual' accommodations.
The view over the Aberdares is breathtaking and while having a sun downer you can enjoy it's full glory!
The food is wonderful and the staff friendly & helpful. The pool is very inviting and the horses complete the whole picture!
Fantastic venue for any kind of event and lovely escape for the weekend!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My sister and I needed a get away, somewhere quiet and beautiful where we could relax and have some fun. We both have busy lives and this was the perfect place. The castle is absolutely beautiful, the scenery amazing and speaking as one who loves nature, being among the trees, mountains and animals was breathe taking. I would like to thank all the staff, from the time we made the booking to when we arrived and left. All the staff were super helpful, kind and so friendly. They accommodated all our needs and made sure we were comfortable. Our stay there was unforgettable and we will be sure to do it again. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a unique relaxing experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rita N
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was back at Tafaria again this time with a group of 5.It is still a great place for a holiday.I would summarize it by.............. try your dream.The horse ride towards the scenic Aberdare is something you cannot afford to miss.

Room Tip: The Lords room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A very well appointed and tastefully furnished establishment. Accommodation is discreetly laid out to offer adequate privacy. Very friendly and helpful staff. The drinks a bit pricey but overall worth every penny. Good food and atmosphere at the dining area.

A very serene and remote location (3.5 hours from Nairobi - and the roads are good).

One gets transported back to another dimension - not quite to the old times of knights and lords...but somewhere oddly anachronistic given the somewhat modern and old mix of decor

Room Tip: Most rooms face Mount Kenya and the dining area/bar have great views of the grounds and the Aberdare...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Djinn3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nyeri
Green HIlls Hotel
Maiyan
Maiyan
#2 of 8 in Nanyuki Town
The Panari Resort Nyahururu

Been to Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge? Share your experiences!