“Perfectly relaxing and wonderful attention to detail”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wanaka
Riversong Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 53 Wanaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband were meant to stay here for two nights during our 4 weeks on the South Island. However Mother Nature and a rockslide on the Haast Highway meant we ended up staying for 4 nights.... and loved it! This was definitely our favourite B&B during our trip. We ended up with a full Riversong experience - our initial 2 nights were generously upgraded to the upstairs suite, and the following 2 nights we were in the downstairs room. Decor and fixtures are elegantly comfortable - very stylish and welcoming, lots of books to flip through, plentiful tea and coffee supplies and biscuits. Good wifi access is provided. Lovely river views from both rooms - the upstairs suite has a small balcony off the bedroom, and the downstairs has direct access to the large front patio. For our arrival we had requested one of the platters that Anne offers - this was delicious (breads, cold meats, seafood, olives, homemade mushroom pate (yum!), roast beetroot, etc) and made for a perfect dinner with a bottle of wine while watching the river run by.

Just like everything else, breakfasts were plentiful with a lovely attention to detail. Cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit and toast, with a different cooked dish each day. And my favourite - Anne's muffins which she was happy to pack up for us when we were hitting the road. Anne and Ian were extremely helpful and accommodating when we were affected by the road closure, giving us plenty of time to work ourselves out each day and let them know whether we would be staying another day.

Riversong is such a comfortable and peaceful location - bring a good book (or borrow one from Anne and Ian's large collection) and settle in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saffron_AU

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at Riversong in July. Right from the instance I placed a booking at Riversong after much research, it was the accommodation that I was most looking forward to staying among all the others for my entire trip to the South Island. They were mainly due to the lovely pictures on their website and the raving reviews on tripadvisor, and I am happy to announce that nothing fell short of my expectations at all.

A day after I booked directly at Riversong's website, Ann sent me an email stating that she was looking forward to our arrival, and that made me feel extremely welcomed. It also further affirmed that I have made a right decision to stay with them.

We drove from Lake Tekapo to Wanaka, which took us about 2-3 hours. Upon arrival, we were warmly received by Ann by the front door, and she showed us to our rooms. As we are a family of four, we stayed in both the rooms downstairs, as well as the one upstairs. Both rooms were absoutely lovely, and I loved my upstairs room. It had a balcony with the view of the river, and room was comfortably heated as it was right in the middle of winter. The toilet was huge, spacious, and clean. It was such a treat showering at night. Also, cookies were thoughtfully provided together with teabags and coffee at the little pantry area.

Ann provided us with great, useful advice of Wanaka - sights, areas of interest, dining. She recommended this fabulous Italian restaurant, and it was superb.

Breakfast the next day was lovely with homemade muffins, jam, and eggs.

You could tell the couple is extremely well-read and knowledgable from the sheer number of books they have littered all around the house. Ian and my dad also had quite a deep conversation regarding Asia and its politics.

It was a pity that we only stayed for a night, and I would have loved to stayed longer! After checking out, we stopped by Skydive Lake Wanaka, and experienced the very first skydive of my life. There is only one word to describe it - Awesome! I will go out and say that Wanaka is the best place in NZ to skydive and everyone should try it if they have the chance.

Wanaka will always have a very special place in my heart, and I will definitely be back at Riversong in the near future. Thank you for being such lovely hosts, Ann and Ian!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We just completed a stay at Riversong and had a delightful time. We were upgraded to the upstairs king sized bedroom without requesting it upon arrival and it was fabulous. The bed was extremely comfortable with a lovely and warm big fluffy quilt and the view from the window of the river very pretty. It is beautifully decorated...very serene. Our hosts were lovely and gave us terrific advice about things to do in the area that might interest us. Breakfast in the morning was absolutely delicious... Ann is quite a good cook. I hope one day we can come back during fishing season so my husband can have the fishing experience he dreamed of!

Room Tip: We stayed in the upstairs king size bed which was fabulous.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

There are so many amazing details that made our stay so wonderful. Upon arrival Anne greeted and welcomed us into her home. We loved the room, we stayed in a smaller room at the front of the house, with a door onto the porch and window looking out at the river. The bed was amazingly comfortable with luxury bedding and care taken to decorate the room nicely. The bathroom was perfect- heated floors, as well as non-fogging glass- the fine details that I did not expect in a small B&B. Our room also had a tin filled with home made cookies and items to make tea. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful- fresh baked muffins with different flavors each day, a hot egg dish, cereals, toast and fresh fruit. But the best part of breakfast was chatting with Anne and Ian and getting their great advice on what to explore in Wanaka. They had great recommendations on hikes in the area and restaurants, which helped us have an amazing stay. The location of the B&B is in a small town just outside of Wanaka- but we did not mind the short drive into town- it was wonderful to be next to the river and away from many people. I was so sad the last day when it was time to leave. I would highly recommend staying at Riversong- it truly made our vacation and I can't wait to be able to return to New Zealand and stay at Riversong again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Early May'13 my dad and I stayed at Riversong for one night, which turned out to be far too short for this lovely B&B and the warming hostility from Ann, Ian and Molly :). We were very much impressed by the house's beautiful decoration. One can tell that it's a result of an attentive work. We had to whole second floor to us with one spacious, river viewed double bedroom, one sweet, garden viewed single bedroom and a bathroom with heated floor! Such a treat for the winter stay. The area was very tranquil and soothing with the song from river Clutha. A walk along the river and a historical track nearby are a must. The breakfast was wonderful with local produces and home made muffin. Ann and Ian were very friendly. Only a short conversation with them made you feel at home. One day I will go back in Summer to learn fishing with Ian. Riversong is no doubt a rare gem. You don't often get the place where everything offered was absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Thanks once again to Anne and Ian for their wonderful hospitality and allowing us to share their lovely home and setting by the river. There are some really pleasant walks along the river if you want to stay close by or just get some fresh air in the morning/evening. The B&B itself is spotless and refreshing along with delicious breakfasts cooked daily by Anne. All the advice and information on the area is first class and honest. Short drive to Lake Wanaka. If you choose to spend a night or two here, you will not be disappointed. Many thanks again Anne & Ian.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

One arrival the view takes your breath away and as you walk inside and meet Ann, Ian and Molly you know you are in for a really excellent stay. Everything about Riversong is top draw, the location, the rooms, the breakfast, you just can't go wrong. We stayed for three days and could have stayed longer, and we will be back and next time Ian is going to take me fishing which he may regret but will most certainly enjoy. This was our fifth B&B this trip and certainly the highlight so far. An early evening chat over wine solving the Australian cricket teams woes and discussing the political issues of the day was great fun.

Room Tip: My advice forget Queenstown keep driving and stay in the area it is mush friendlier and enjoyable
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends