Recommended experiences in and around Wanaka
from $386.50
from $161.78
from $52.65
from $159.26
More Info
All reviews amazing views hours return start early tough hike viewing point day hike lots of water dirt road viewing area elevation gain coming down well worth the effort hiking boots walking poles uphill climb bring enough amazing hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

She’s a steep hill, but on a beautiful clear day it’s well worth the effort.

Pack plenty of water because you’re going to sweat. I’d recommend starting early-ish - if it’s summer you don’t want to be lugging yourself up the track in the midday sun.

Need some fitness, but not too much. Most people should be able to manage it.

We did it in running shoes which was sufficient for this walk.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

Great hike but don't do it if you're a casual walker/hiker unless you're stubborn. Up hill the whole way but well worth it for the views. Very windy at the top when I was there a week ago. Whoever says the hike was boring didn't stop and turn around enough to look at the lake and valley below as you climb. Beautiful and more so at the peak. Don't stop at the photo point and go the final 30 minutes to the top. I'm 60, have asthma although an avid hiker. Even so, it took me 4 hrs 15 minutes with 20 minutes of breaks. Don't come to Wanaka and not do this!

Reviewed January 18, 2020

I went to Roy's Peak yesterday, starting at 6pm to reach the peak on a sunset.
Parking lot was half empty when I arrived, walk path was not crowded at all (I met ~ 20 people going down when I was hiking up). Instagram spot was not crowded either (there were only 5 Japanese people there making photos).
It's possible and afaik allowed to stay overnight at the peak (I haven't finally do that due to issues with my tent, but I've seen one tent at the top).
It took me 3.5 hrs to get to the peak and 2hrs down. I definitely recommend good trekking shoes, useful especially when you go down to feel more stable on the ground.
Please mind that 1000m of difference between start and finish is only if you finish at Instagram spot. There's another ~200m walk to the top of the mountain.
I was walking in a temperature of 25C degrees, but thanks to the fact that sun was on the other side of a peak, it wasn't shining on me, so walk was comfortable even in such hot weather.
Actual sunset that I was aiming to see wasn't that breathtaking, as sun was hiding behind other hills around, not behind the lake :( the place where sun goes down changes within a year so it might be better in a different months.

Anyway, it was a nice walk, I definitely recommend to do it, especially in the evening, as it doesn't get crowded that time and coming down in dark is a nice experience (especially when no clouds are expected for the night so you can catch amazing stars).

1  Thank pa12326
Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

We hiked the Roy’s Peak track earlier this month, it is so worth it.

The track is about 20 km in total, with a total ascent (incline) of 1 kilometer. The trail is not accessible for people who have a walking disability.

The path is clear and offers amazing views throughout. The best time to do the hike is early in the morning, this gives you a better chance on a clear view (without clouds).

We started at 7, though we had some clouds on the top. If I go back, I would start hiking around 5 am.

Reviewed January 12, 2020

We started at 7.56 am on Monday 13th of January 2020. The car park was already busy but u could still find a parking space. It took us exactly 2 hours to the top peak. We didn’t stop, walked with comfortable pace. It was warm when we started but it was cold when we got to the top. Loads of people were struggling from the start as it’s a very steep hike. We had some water and some snacks with us which we had at the top . The views r stunning . Start early ish , wear comfy sports clothes .I had some shorts on, vest and long sleeve top and running trainers on. Down hill was easier to jog on and off .
It’s crazy what some people wear ‍♀️. If u feeling a bit fit , it won’t take u long. Take photos on the way down otherwise u never get there. It was an amazing morning . Jana

1  Thank JanaNovotn