“Failed yet again to impress!”

Wineglass Cafe at Edgewater
Ranked #46 of 88 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the fresh and contemporary atmosphere in Sargoods Restaurant and Wineglass Cafe, situated at the very heart of Edgewater. Savour the outstanding New Zealand wines and cuisine, from the Wineglass Cafe menu, on the surrounding outdoors terrace area, and soak up the spectacular scenery and ambience of Lake Wanaka. Enjoy an extensive breakfast buffet in Sargoods Restaurant daily.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Have eaten here on a number of occasions but it most certainly would not be by choice! The last such occasion was June the 12th for a friends birthday. We were the 3rd table (8 of us) to arrive and as other tables filled we waited for over an hour to get our meals. Just as well we were not on a lunch time restriction. My meal of eggs Benedict with salmon was cold and with the salmon not tasting quite right (tail end and rather firm). Others at the table were also not impressed with their choices and in particular the price of some items! The so called omelette which resembled a small piece of quiche at $16 could only be called a "rip off". Was only asked when paying how my meal was in which I replied was not happy as was cold and wasnt sure about the salmon!
Whilst the stomach played havoc for a while it wasnt too long before I was bringing up the meal! I immediately rang the hotel and was told the manager would get back to me! It is now July 1st .........and I am still waiting!!!! Unfortunately this is the final straw in more than one bad dining experience in this establishment!!!! Most certainly the last!

2  Thank FoodieforlifeWanaka
Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Wineglass Cafe at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Foodie for Life

It is unfortunate for you to have had this experience.

Our General Manager had been actively trying to contact you Paula, but unfortunately the phone number he has for you appears to be incorrect and we were unsuccessful in sourcing your number any other way, despite extensive efforts.

Through our private message to you via Trip Advisor, we have provided our full details and also sought your details> We expect to connect personally soon.

Notwithstanding this, we actively investigated this situation and checked with other patrons who dined on the same day, including a number who had the same meal. They experienced no issues.

We further checked the meal ingredient in the kitchen and found all components within accepted food safely protocols.

We are very confident of our food safety at Edgewater and investigate such situations thoroughly – which we did in this case.

Our reputation within the Wanaka community is very important to us and the majority of reviews both for the Wineglass and our accommodation are very favourable.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The coffee is excellent - but the scones are out of this world. The best scone I've ever tasted, and they've got about 8 to choose from. The evening restaurant's food was also excellent as was the wine selections. My fish meal was divine, so soft and tasty - the salad and vegetables seasonal and fresh. Will definately visit the cafe and restaurant when in Wanaka again - oh, and did I mention the views ...

Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Wineglass Cafe at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Hi Margy

Thanks for taking time to review the Wineglass Cafe also.

We're really pleased you enjoyed your dining experience, not to mention the awesome location.

You may be interested in one of our scone menus, publishes in the ODT. Link is below for you.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

It was a beautiful balmy summers evening.
I was happy. It was my birthday.
I enjoyed my steak.
The service was efficient if somewhat aloof.
I didn't dislike anything

Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Wineglass Cafe at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Jennam

Happy birthday. Did you let our team know it was a special occasion?

Pleased you enjoyed yourself at the Wineglass. If there is a specific staff member you are referring to please feel free to contact directly to discuss.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I believe this restaurant has one of the best views in Wanaka - no looking over roads or carparks - just staight out to the lake! We sat outside for lunch - it would be rude not to when the weather was so stunning. I had the blue cod - just the right amount, and lovely fresh tasting. Hubbie had the merino burger and was more than satisfied. Mother had the chicken filo and thought it was just devine. All washed down with a bottle of the Wooing Tree Rose - just perfect. Service was great and pricing very reasonable. Well done!

Dear Chris W

Your a great local advocate for the Wineglass Cafe.

Pleased all your meals were great and the Wooing Tree Rose sounds perfect.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

we were staying at the hotel located with this restaurant and decided late to go here for dinner, a booking was taken quite easily, which was a relief as otherwide it would have been into the car and into town. the food was great, well presented, very tasty, and great portions. the kids were well catered for, and the staff were very friendly and informative, while also being relaxed and fun. and the setting, well brilliant, the views were fabulous

Edgewater_Resort, Front Office Manager at Wineglass Cafe at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear John G

So pleased you enjoyed your time dining at the Wineglass Cafe. It sounds like it provided a convenient option for you, as well as being tasty and with good portions.

You rightly point out that you can't beat the spectacular view across the lake beyond to the mountains.