“Very busy little place”

Cuisines: Mexican, Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Thought we would try this restaurant whilst we were staying in Wanaka as our kids have just taken a liking to mexican food. Booked online (which was very easy!!). On arrival, the restaurant was packed but we were taken to our table after only a short wait. It is only a small restaurant and people are packed in tightly. I also found it quite hot (probably as we were seated next to the heater..). Had to wait a while for the food (about half an hour) as they were so busy. I found my meal was fairly ordinary, but the servings were generous and hubby and kids all enjoyed their meals. If you are thinking of going, I would definately recommend booking as people were being turned away.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Lots of food in a very casual atmosphere.

Interesting place, decor is tacky and the place is super busy and noisy. Food quality was a bit hit-and-miss but overall good. The ribs were a highlight.

Cocktails are not so great, but they are cheap.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Generous servings and brilliant Mexican food. There was a slight misunderstanding with my order, but the staff rectified it quickly and professionally. Would come here again.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Food was excellent as was the service. Would highly recommend anyone staying in Wanaka to pay this place a visit really good value, busy little place

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I see why it's overpriced. It's hard to get authentic ingredients in Wanaka. But coming from California, I will never eat here again. Over $20 for an average-tasting burrito? Damn.

WazzainWanaka, Owner at AmiGos Mexican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

$25 for a burrito, not $20. That's to be seated, waited on and cleaned up after in a restaurant setting by people who earn a decent wage and get legal protection!! Perhaps the takeouts (which we offer at $10 for earlybirds) would have been a better choice for you, rather than moaning about the price online after the fact. The menu is at the door, online, and on facebook, all are clearly priced... Sorry you thought it was only average, I reckon they're fantastic, and the weight of opinion here on T/A seems to back that up. Damn indeed amigo, didn't find them any better, (or much cheaper) in California myself, which is half a world away!