“Need some improvement! Housekeeping needs immediate attention”

Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights with my partner. Honestly we love the service at the restaurant and the food. The location is not that bad because were using a rental car. The rooms are ok and clean when we arrived. But small things that they forgot would mean a lot! Next day they did not supply shampoo/soap in short toiletries which is pretty basic supply in every hotel. So we just ignore it thinking maybe the housekeeping forgot to give us. But on the following day there is none again. So I started checking what they do in our room. I noticed that they dont change beddings and sheets as well. They only tidy up the room and make the bed but not change the sheets! The bathroom towels I dont know if its coincidence but I inspect carefully that there are some hair's on towels! Not sure if its really wash but I had a feeling someone is not doing properly their job.
Such a shame the place would be ideal but turned into a disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
FraserMcKenzie, General Manager at Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2009

Thanks for your feedback - I have already passed your comments to the Housekeeping Manager, and agree entirely that it is in the detail that we 'make' the stay. We are working hard with the team moving into a beautiful Summer, to ensure we are on top of these things. And thank you for the great rap on the Restaurant - I'll send this on the team as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Overall we were pretty happy with our stay here. It was 5 mins drive out of town but we didn't see that as a negative, except when we first checked in after a long drive from Franz Josef. We were a bit disappointed when we hadn't brought the cash with us to pay for our stay that we were made to drive into town to withdraw it before we were given the keys to the room, despite having an imprint of our credit card. Was not expecting to have to fully pay on check in and there is no ATM so beware!

The room/suite itself was lovely and had gorgeous views of the surrounding mountains. The spa bath in the room was a real treat after a days skiing.

My husband was extremely impressed with the quality of the equipment in the gym, although not having set foot in there due to be on holiday, I can't comment personally.

One disappointing aspect of our stay was the quality (or lack thereof) of the room turn down service. It looked like the cleaner had simply thrown the bedclothes back over the bed and not much else in their haste.... presumably to go and hit the slopes with the quality of the snow :)

Both these negative things probably wouldn't stop me from booking here again though.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2009

if you're after a view o fthe beautiful lake, thisis not it. Its about 5min drive from town so you do need a car really. The bedroom and bathroom of a one bedroom were very small and we could not even fully open the closet door. A queen bed would work better in this size space. Kitchen was good. The staff are very good, except for a forgotten wake up call so we nearly missed the ski shuttle we had booked. The food in the restaurants is very good except for breakfast which is quite average. Their staff are a mainly international studnets and they are excellent and very helpful. The hot pools are good but can get very busy in the afternoons, the gym is a good inclusion. Overall the 2 dinner restaurants and staff are the highlights, with the hot pools a nice addition.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
FraserMcKenzie, Fraser McKenzie - General Manager at Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2009

Thanks for your feedback -especially with regards to the evening dining and the staff you encountered. Our One Bedroom apartments with full kitchens are very popular over the winter season so I'll look into your wardrobe door issue - the setup should allow for ease of access. Many thanks & we'll see you back next year for an awesome Wanaka Ski experience.

Reviewed July 18, 2009

We loved the Oakridge. The room we had was a standard studio I think and it was quite small but brand new and very comfortable. The hot pools were fantastic after a day on the slopes. It is a short 5 min drive into town but we did not see this as a negative. The staff were friendly and accommodating. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2009

this hotel was simply amazing very flash and modern comfy amd cozy, loved the hot pools, which where cleaned very regulary on our visit plenty of space for family to relax. room warmed up very quick with gas fire loved it!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We stayed here as part of our two week tour of the South Island. The website was completely misleading. It is a relatively new resort with no character. Our room was extremely small with views!!! The views were of the construction site next door. We approached reception about the possibility of moving to another room this was declined as the resort was apparently fully booked. Not sure where all the people were but in our block their was only one other car in the parking lot the entire duration of our stay and restaurant/pool area empty. This was the most expensive accommodation of our stay and the most disappointing. It is a 10 minute drive from town which is a pain with a small child and if you wanted to go out for dinner and have a few drinks.

Wanaka is such a gorgeous place with lots of great accommodation. We were sad to have had this experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank AussieYoungMum
FraserMcKenzie, General Manager at Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2009

I'm really disappointed that your stay wasn't what you anticipated - I have sent a separate query for some other information so I can personally follow-up and get back to you. Our goal is to provide a relaxed and enjoyable environment, so if it doesn't happen we need to know what we can do to fix it.

Reviewed May 9, 2009

I was so happy with everything about this hotel - except that it's so noisy!!!

The rooms are gorgeous and warm, it's all very clean and the staff are friendly, the beds are comfortable BUT I was disturbed by other hotel guests on a number of occassions.

I stayed in a hotel room and there were four in my block (two upstairs and two downstairs). Whenever my upstairs neighbour opened his door the suction it created made my door bang. In addition to that, the doors aren't quietly self-closing and people tend to slam them and because the walls are so thin it was very loud in my room and made me jump out of my skin on several occasions. I could also hear my neighbour very clearly blowing his nose in his bathroom! He did blow his nose really loudly, but still, if the place was built properly I shouldn't have been able to hear it at all. The other problem was that every time the main downstairs door was used it created a suction and made my door bang again, and I could also hear people going up and down the stairs, which ran next to my room. I was awoken at midnight when the downstairs people came back to the hotel talking and banging doors. It's pretty disgraceful when hotel guests going about their business has to impact so greatly on other guests just because they place was obviously built very cheaply without proper insulation and proper materials being used.

When I checked out the person at reception asked how my stay was and I said that everything was great except the noise. They said they know that the "walls are paper thin" and they often get complaints (other guests have complained about hearing their neighbours talking in their room).

So yeh, very disappointed, would never stay there again just because of the shoddy way the place was built.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank HarlemRain

Thanks for your comments. I see that you rated everything else well which is great. From this feedback we can work on the door closers and seals to try to lessen any noise. While the door closers are part of the Hotel guest security & fire safety I'm sure that if something can be done we will do it.

Fraser McKenzie