Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka
Wanaka Hotel(Wanaka)
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
1,037 results
All reviewshot poolsoak ridgestandard roompool areaone bedroom apartmentgreat resortfull kitchenwashing machine and dryershort driveviews of the mountainstown centreself containedlaundry facilitiesgreat facilitiescooking facilitiestubsmercure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We stayed here for one night on the way from Oamaru to Queenstown. We stayed in a brand new room at the far end of the property.

Likes
- Great new room
- Fantastic pool area - 2 pools and 8 (?) spa pools
- Very quiet, didn't here another guest once
- Friendly staff at reception
- Good food at the restaurant

Dislikes
- Only one dislike, although it's a biggie! We went to the restaurant for dinner and were promptly seated. There were only 2 other tables occupied (one already eating their mains and the others mains arrived shortly after we did), we ordered and waited. And waited and waited for 45 minutes until our entree's arrived. For a nearly empty restaurant this is terrible and not once were we given an update or an apology for the length of time taken. The food was good when it arrived but they got the bill wrong and had to call our room to tell us later in the evening. Even then when we went to check-out the wrong price (different from both we'd been told) was on the final bill!

Overall we liked this property and it definitely has potential but would definitely skip the restaurant and eat in town instead

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank splatnz
Reviewed March 10, 2008

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Check in time is 2pm but only having had a short journey I arrived at 1.45pm. I was allowed to complete the registration formalities but was told that I would have to come back at 2pm to get my room key - how petty and I have never experienced anything like this from a hotel of a similar standing anywhere in the world. I would add that the reception area is very small for the number of rooms they have.

I have to say that this hotel was by far the most disappointing of the 8 hotels/motels I stayed in on South Island during my 3 weeks there. I was allocated room 73 - 'a de-luxe resort room' - if that is a de-luxe room then I simply dread to think what a standard room is like. It was certainly the smallest room I have ever seen in a hotel of its standard. Not enough room to swing a cat' or even kitten for that matter! I spent a good few minutes looking for the wardrobe and was told by reception that it was behind a white curtain that housed the ironing board. So the 'wardrobe was the width of the upright legs of an ironing board' and had 3 grotty , cheap metal coathangers. Clothes storage space was non-existent. In the UK, if you called a room like this de-luxe you most likely would be prosecuted under the trade descriptions act!

I returned to reception and asked for an upgrade at my expense. To their great credit, the receptionist was very helpful and went to a great deal of trouble and personally showed me a 'studio apartment' This was a great improvement, albeit that it had a very
a very nice and immaculate kitchen- marble work surfaces, loads of crockery, table and 4 chairs etc - which I simply didn't need or want. Anyway I willingly agreed to pay a quite reasonable surcharge of NZ$25 a night.

I have to say that room 26 was spacious with a 3 seater and 2 seater settee and a patio door that lead out onto a patio area with 2 chairs facing a communal garden and pleasant views towards the mountains. Quite why you would need 2 large settees when I was told the room was for a maximum of 2 I am not sure.

However I was not at all impressed with the very poorly designed bathroom coloured grey. Very small and containing the washing machine and dryer. The wash basin was the smallest I have ever seen with only a very small glass shelf above it for toiletries etc. The shelf was so positioned that when having a wash you had to crane your neck so as not to bang your head on it. Unbelievably a window was above the basin and the mirror to the right of it - not ideal when trying to have a shave. No bath - only a shower.

Not great plumbing either. There were 2 apartments above me and when they used the facilities I could hear the sound of water rushing down the pipes.

On the full day I stayed there, my room hadn't been made up at 3.30pm and when I returned to the room later, only the bed had been made. Bathroom hadn't been touched nor the bins emptied- simply not good enough in a hotel of this perceived standard.

I had 2 meals in the very quiet restaurant - both good. Didn't have breakfast but again it was very quiet. There is plenty of parking and mostly you can park outside your apartment although it is gravelled and you can hear every movement.

There is a lot of building work going on although not near my room which I suspect was one of the better ones and certainly the newer chalets did not appeal to me at all.

The 'resort' is about 2 kms form the lake and a bit more from the town centre so transport is absolutely essential if you are staying here. Were my views of the hotel affected by the weather or the town? I loved Wanaka and its environs and the weather was absolutely perfect.

Would I stay here again- not if I could help it. In my view Wanaka needs a nice hotel - Novotel type for the tourust who just wants a nice room as opposed to a motel/ 'resort 'type facility

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We stayed in the Oakridge Resort at Lake Wanaka during a 3 week trip of the South Island with a family of four (2 adults & 2 kids) plus the grandparents. We were excited about staying here and were expecting ultimate luxury as this was by far the most expensive place we would be staying in during our trip. We had our own rental vehicle so were not worried about the short drive into the town. When we arrived we were shown to our rooms -one was a one bedroom apartment (for the family of 4) and the other a studio room. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the sofa bed was already made up for the 2 children in the lounge. The apartment had 2 flat screen TVs -one in the lounge and the second in the bedroom which was great for our family in the evening. The bathroom contained a washing machine and drier and a lovely shower. The kitchen in the apartment was well appointed, although we had decided to eat in the restaurants in town. However, the apartment was located at the 'back' of a new block which was located next to a section which is being developed by diggers & bulldozers and they create a lot of dust -so the outdoor furniture had to be wiped down before we could sit on it and the dust just kept blowing over which meant that we weren't really able to sit outside much and enjoy the wonderful mountain views. Thankfully the diggers did not work very early in the morning as we had expected, perhaps due to a morning of rain. We loved the apartment, but were surprised to find that it wasn't serviced on the second day that we were there and we would expect this type service from a resort like this. We did feel that we were placed in the back & beyond as it didn't appear to us at the time that the resort was fully booked - perhaps they like to have their guests spaced out more for privacy reasons. It appeared that our block was still being decorated or had only just opened. We also had a couple of issues with the pool area. The pool area looks fantastic and the spa pools dotted around the main pool are very relaxing and would look fabulous and feel great in the winter time after a ski. However, the pool bottom needs to be marked with white lines as it has steps in the bottom which can catch the swimmer unawares and cause an injury or two (stubbed toes and trips- deadly for the elderly). It appeared that the pool area and coffee kiosk were being attended by teenagers (working the holiday) who mostly stood around flirting and chatting with each other and trying to look busy by occasionally throwing a handful of chlorine into a spa pool (while guests sat in the neighbouring spa pool??) The second day we were there, the pool area was utter chaos with noisy kids and families and what appeared to be visitors from outside the resort as there were many cars in the car park and we hadn't encountered too many guests at the resort at other times. Guests were left to find their own chair or spot on the ground as the attendant didn't really care that there was a large crowd around the pool area and there was no control on the noise levels or the antics of kids around the main pool. It looked as though an area was being developed next to the pool area and we hope that it is for a new pool as the current pool area would not be large enough to accommodate all of the guests. This resort is still under construction and it will be great once finished -at the moment the prices are just too high.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2008

After reading some reviews, I was a little apprehensive, especially in relation to the room right next to the kitchen. I thought surely they wouldn't put a couple on their honeymoon in the room right next to the kitchen... but they did!!! It wasn't even a busy time, about 3pm, however we could hear the clanging of dishes as loudly as if we were standing in the kitchen ourselves.

However after complaining to reception, we were moved to a lovely spacious apartment which included a large kitchen and modern bathroom complete with heated floor!

We thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor hot pools, and didn't find them to be busy at all, on the contrary, we had them almost all to ourselves.

After a lovely dinner in town, we headed back to the hotel and relaxed on the lounge in front of the open fire, while enjoying a hot chocolate. Absolute bliss!

However in the morning we were awoken by what sounded like a herd of elephants. We could hear every foot step in the apartment above us! It sounded like there were about 20 people up there, not a family of 4.

Overall a nice hotel with a few draw backs - I probably wouldn't return as I place a high priority on peace and quiet when I am on holidays!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2008

This hotel is not close to town or the lake. You will need a car and use it. I love the Wanaka area and will likely return. I would not consider this particular hotel.

The hotel is adding many more rooms. When we arrived the area was VERY dusty from construction going on.

The assigned room was near the construction (no a/c) so windows had to be closed for the noise and dust. Not a good situation. Was in room 5 minutes and went back to front desk. Explained problem and was upgraded to beautiful suite in 'much' better location. Thank god the others in the same location did not complain or the room we got would not have been available.

Had we not been moved to better room/location we would have not stayed, even having prepaid for the room (3 nights). Each morning I took hand towel outside and wiped table. It was filthy with dust and dirt from construction. Once construction is finished all may be well. But, I would not consider returning to this particular lodging. Mainly due to distance from town/lake.
You'll see what I mean if you go there.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Isle 'n Sun
AnilSood, General Manager at Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2008

Dear Sir / Madam,

I do wish to make it a point here that every word of our customer is of paramount value.

I, together with my team, thank you for choosing “Oakridge Resort Grand Mercure" as your venue during your recent visit. Like any worthwhile relationship, a customer hotel affiliation brings together ideas and common goals.

Your comments are completely understandable. We opened the new room block of 112 rooms, a few days prior to your stay. In a very similar scenario, we are finely looking at the hardware side of the new block and rest assured, this will all be fixed before soon and you would not face any such shortcomings.

Besides the above, we are expanding in size; the 02 new pools (01 full length 25 mtr. and another children slide pool), a Gym, a coffee shop over looking 11 pools etc. will compensate for the loss of the feel you had during your last stay.

I would like to apologize on this front to you and would be delighted to showcase the transformed product in the making. I am sure you will feel the difference. We have an unwritten policy here to react to customer needs instantly and offer solutions. I am glad our team offered you the upgrade. Give us a chance and you will feel and enjoy the difference.

I, once again, express my gratitude for you having spared time in writing to us and we look forward to receiving your patronage in future. It will be great to see you again with us.

With kind regards and best wishes for 2008 !

Sincerely yours