“Best avoided”
Review of Wanaka Hotel

Wanaka Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have never stayed in a 'Hotel' with so few room amenities. Even the most basic hotels in the poorest countries have coffee making facilities. Our room contained a bed, two towells and a TV! That was it. No shower gel, soap or hair drier or anything else. Information on opening time of restaurant next door was inaccurate - in fact it failed to open the night we got there. The only redeeming feature was the friendly receptionist who seemed to be the only one on duty in the entire place. When the bar was due to open she had to leave reception and hurry across to the lounge to serve us.
I get the impression that this is an establishment in decline that has seen better days. It just about qualifies for the title of 'Hostel' accomodation but in no way should it bear the title of a 'Hotel', nor should it be listed as such on any website.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank soldier_of_4tune

Reviewed March 4, 2010

...is the only thing this hotel had going for it. I was here as part of a tour group (so I didn't select the hotel), and the guide warned us that it was an "older" place. That wasn't the half of it.

It was very hot when we were there. I can understand not having a/c, many places we stayed in NZ didn't. But there were no fans or other means of ventilation other than opening doors and windows. That's fine, but people in ground floor rooms couldn't leave the windows or patio doors open when they were out, or overnight. The rooms faced west, and even with the curtains closed, the afternoon/early evening sun came in, and heated up the room, and it didn't cool down until well into the early morning hours.

The room was small and everything was old and shabby. The bed practically sank to the floor when you sat on it. The bathroom was tiny and dingy.

They had computers in the main area hooked up to the Global Gossip network, cost $4/hour, which was pretty reasonable. However, the computers were in a small, dark, windowless room, which was unbearably hot and sticky. The other public areas were also dark, and seemed empty the entire time we were there.

Positives...it was right near the center of town and had a view of the lake. The other decent thing was the food--we ate in the Cheeky Monkey cafe, and they provided very good and plentiful cold salads.

Don't stay here if you have a choice--I've already voiced my complaints to our tour company.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank saab_sister07
Reviewed January 3, 2009

The travel agent accidentally booked us here for a week and it was not what we expected. The location is excellent but everything else is awful. There was a funny smell throughout the whole place and our room was small and really old. Worth mentioning is the real lack of service. The desk staff were different to all the other New Zealanders we met in that they didn't seem particularly keen to help us. They had a good set-up but it just didn't seem to work. There was a bar but it was seldom open. There was a massive lounge but it was unwelcoming and always empty. The internet was massively over-priced. We not only wouldn't stay there again but it's now jokingly our point of reference for poor accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank elenathequiet
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed in an upstairs room at the Wanaka Hotel in early January.

From outside appearances, the hotel didn't look too bad, but unfortunately the rooms are less attractive! Our room was in need of a makeover - everything was old and faded, and not particularly clean (especially the bathroom). We had a small window with a view of the carpark. It was also very hot in the room; we asked at reception if they had any electric fans, and were advised that all the guests had been asking for them, but they didn't have any.

One saving grace for this hotel is the location - easy walking distance to all of the shops, bars and restaurants.

As we only paid $115 for one night (about £40), I suppose we can't expect luxury!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank polarbear
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I booked a suite at the Wanaka hotel for 3 of us, and paid more than I had paid for a good room at the Crowne Plaza in Auckland. The sitting room and bedroom themselves were OK, although the furnishings were a bit dated. However, the real issue is that the hotel is used by backpacker tour groups, and I found the noise at night totally unacceptable. I believed that I was paying to stay in a decent quality hotel, not a backpacker's hostel. I think the hotel management are seriously at fault in trying to accommodate standard hotel guests and backpackers in the same establishment. I would not consider staying here again. If you are looking for a decent quality hotel or motel, I would suggest you avoid the Wanaka Hotel, as there are plenty of other choices in the town.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank residentuk
Reviewed January 7, 2007

This place may seem a bit dated when you get there and are navagating to your room but it was one of the best places I stayed on a month of Hosteling in New Zealand.

We were in a 4 person dorm but for once the beds had REAL full mattress on them. We had a normal ensuite bath with a tub. It was the best shower I had the whole trip!! There were great patios and though we didn't have a balcony we had a giant greassy area with fantastic views. They also have tvs in everyroom that play free movies all night which is always a bonus for us poor backpackers looking to take an easy night in.

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Penny A
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I read some relatively ok reviews about this hotel, hence I booked it.

I was looking to stay in a middle of the road, reasonable standard motel or hotel. It is difficult to give a fair review as my expectations were not met. However please note I was looking to stay in comfortable accomodation and this hotel is clearly designed for the more 'backpacker' type traveller. The reviews that I read about this hotel had rather misrepresented the accomodation standard!

If you are looking for very cheap accomodation it is fine, but if, like me, you have grown out of your backpacking years, I would not recommend you stay here. To emphasise the point, they have a large backpacking dormitory downstairs and the 'Kiwi Experience' stops by here every few days. (Large backpacking bus - prone to partying - I know I did it afew years ago myself!).

We booked a double room. It was clean enough but very dated with a very old double bed which was lumpy and not comfortable to lie on. We moved the matress onto the floor to try and help the situation!!!

We had some noise issues, we appeared to have some of the main water pipes in our room which made a racket all night as other people had showers etc. I resorted to ear plugs and my partner didn't sleep very well.

If you are looking for a more comfortable standard of accomodation, I would advise you not to stay here. However if you have a very tight budget and don't care about the quality of the room then this may be worth a look.

Stayed: November 2006