“OK for stopover”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Epsom
“OK for stopover”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

A very average hotel quite near the lake. Friendly reception. Payable wifi. Car park at the back was a long walk with heavy cases and no offer of any help (we are in our 60s and had luggage for a 6 week trip). Several food areas in the hotel which were obviously open to non residents but were all uninviting as far as we were concerned. Very dated and not as good as many of the motel rooms we had.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here one night. We prebooked on the internet and it was only $89 for the night. It was a studio unit with ensuite. Very comfortable and clean. The location being just over from the lake made it even better. The carpark out the back was very handy. The best value place of everywhere we went in the South Island staying at a dozen different places.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night recently on my trip to New Zealand and they provided me with the only bad memory from the trip.

I had pre-booked my room through Agoda. When I arrived, I was a little surprised when the girl at the counter asked for my credit card for an "imprint". I agreed considering that the hotel might want to keep some sort of security if any damage is caused. Horrible mistake on my part.

Stay at the hotel was uneventful. Its an average hotel. Anyway, we checked out early next morning. I went to the front desk to drop the keys and paid 4$ in cash for an internet card we had bought at the time of check-in. There are was a man at the counter who just accepted my key and I left for Franz Joseph.

Trouble started when on that evening I checked my phone to see a charge of 85 NZD on my card from Wanaka hotel. I got a bit alarmed and called the hotel. The lady told me she would check, the put me on hold to attend to other guests at the counter. She returned 10 mins later and told me that the charge was made on account of the room rent. I informed her that the room rent has already been paid as part of the pre-booking through Agoda. She told me she will find out the details and let me know once sorted. I had no option but to trust her and went for a trek to Franz Joseph.

There was no network reception at Franz Joseph, and when I got back I was further alarmed to see another transaction of 78 NZD on my card from Wanaka hotel. I called the hotel and the lady informed me that the earlier charge to my card had already been reversed in the morning. But since she did not know that she went ahead and reversed the same amount again. She soon realized that the first charge had already been reversed earlier and to offset the second reversal she decided to charge back my card the same amount.

For me, I only got alerts for the transactions charged on the card and not the reversals. I told the lady to stop playing around with my credit card. She told me its all should end up to zero. I called back my card company in my home country on roaming and spoke for about 15 minutes only to find that:
1. They could not confirm any reversals being made on the card (it takes 2-3 days)
2. If I instruct them to cancel the card, the reversals will not go through.

The call back home cost me around 80$.

I had a very small amount of credit left on my credit card for that month so decided to bite the bullet. Thankfully I came back home to find the reversals had been made. BUT, I lost 15$ in forex conversion charges.

The hotel staff played around with my card. And apart from the stress and anxiety it caused me, the whole episode cost me another 100$. Will the hotel representatives care to answer as to WHO WILL BEAR THESE COSTS?

SHAMELESS behavior on part of the hotel staff. And I'm irked most by the fact that there was absolutely no apology offered.

Future travelers to this hotel, please learn from my mistake. And take due care.

Room Tip: stay away!!!
3 Thank SeanKing1506

Travelers are raving about these Wanaka hotels

Sydney
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed in an upstairs king size bedroom looking across to the lake complete with hot water bottles although time of year made them unnecessary. HAD A BATH! Well appointed room. Very courteous staff. Many food options in-house.

Room Tip: Upstairs had good aspect over lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tessa R
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We planned three nights in Wanaka and decided to go for a hotel rather than a motor lodge. At this point I must add that we are British and accommodation in the UK tends to be a little different. This was not what we expect of a hotel, because breakfast was not available. A motor lodge would have given us our own kitchen whereas this hotel had a large communal kitchen tucked round the back. This may fit the NZ concept of a hotel, but may serve as a warning to fellow Brits.
All of that said, we received a warm welcome and were offered a discount because we were booking three nights, so no complaints there.
Our room provided what we needed but just had a tired feel to it. The view from the window was wonderful - across gardens to the lake - and the sliding door gave us easy access to the garden. There's a supermarket straight across the road and walking access to more bars and restaurants than you could possibly need.
Amigos Restaurant is part of the hotel and served good Mexican food. There's a bar/restaurant right next door to the hotel and reception gave us vouchers for free first drinks in the restaurant area. While speaking of food, we highly recommend Lone Star for a somewhat different eating experience. It's quite something eating a steak while watching people on the climbing wall just through the windows! (but you do need to drive or get the shuttle bus, because it's out of town).
We liked the area so much that we happily extended our stay to five nights. Not sure we would use the hotel again unless we saw reports of an upgrade, but maybe we're just picky.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 9, 2013

An older hotel, right in the heart of Wanaka, it proved to be just the ticket for my short stay of two nights. The bed was comfortable, bathroom clean and it was surprisingly quiet considering it 's location right next to a popular bar. The old radio stuck to the bed-head was a laugh (no clock) and played one station! Great restaurants within two minute's walk. All in all, great value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel itself was a little old and the rooms were very average. We stayed in a lake-facing double so lovely views of the mountains and lake from our balcony. There's a mexican place and a bar/grill joined to the hotel on the ground floor which you can eat at and charge back to the room - very handy!

It's close to everything so very convenient - would stay again but would rather a bit nicer accommodation next time maybe. If they gave the hotel a reno it would be perfect!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple