“You get what you pay for......”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Wanaka Hotel

Wanaka Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed in an upstairs room at the Wanaka Hotel in early January.

From outside appearances, the hotel didn't look too bad, but unfortunately the rooms are less attractive! Our room was in need of a makeover - everything was old and faded, and not particularly clean (especially the bathroom). We had a small window with a view of the carpark. It was also very hot in the room; we asked at reception if they had any electric fans, and were advised that all the guests had been asking for them, but they didn't have any.

One saving grace for this hotel is the location - easy walking distance to all of the shops, bars and restaurants.

As we only paid $115 for one night (about £40), I suppose we can't expect luxury!

• Liked — Location - just round the corner from the lake, shops and restaurants
  • Disliked — Run-down bedrooms, in need of modernisation. No air con or fans.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank polarbear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2007

I booked a suite at the Wanaka hotel for 3 of us, and paid more than I had paid for a good room at the Crowne Plaza in Auckland. The sitting room and bedroom themselves were OK, although the furnishings were a bit dated. However, the real issue is that the hotel is used by backpacker tour groups, and I found the noise at night totally unacceptable. I believed that I was paying to stay in a decent quality hotel, not a backpacker's hostel. I think the hotel management are seriously at fault in trying to accommodate standard hotel guests and backpackers in the same establishment. I would not consider staying here again. If you are looking for a decent quality hotel or motel, I would suggest you avoid the Wanaka Hotel, as there are plenty of other choices in the town.

• Liked — location was OK
  • Disliked — noise at night
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank residentuk

Travelers are raving about these Wanaka hotels

Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

This place may seem a bit dated when you get there and are navagating to your room but it was one of the best places I stayed on a month of Hosteling in New Zealand.

We were in a 4 person dorm but for once the beds had REAL full mattress on them. We had a normal ensuite bath with a tub. It was the best shower I had the whole trip!! There were great patios and though we didn't have a balcony we had a giant greassy area with fantastic views. They also have tvs in everyroom that play free movies all night which is always a bonus for us poor backpackers looking to take an easy night in.

• Stayed January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Penny A
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2006

I read some relatively ok reviews about this hotel, hence I booked it.

I was looking to stay in a middle of the road, reasonable standard motel or hotel. It is difficult to give a fair review as my expectations were not met. However please note I was looking to stay in comfortable accomodation and this hotel is clearly designed for the more 'backpacker' type traveller. The reviews that I read about this hotel had rather misrepresented the accomodation standard!

If you are looking for very cheap accomodation it is fine, but if, like me, you have grown out of your backpacking years, I would not recommend you stay here. To emphasise the point, they have a large backpacking dormitory downstairs and the 'Kiwi Experience' stops by here every few days. (Large backpacking bus - prone to partying - I know I did it afew years ago myself!).

We booked a double room. It was clean enough but very dated with a very old double bed which was lumpy and not comfortable to lie on. We moved the matress onto the floor to try and help the situation!!!

We had some noise issues, we appeared to have some of the main water pipes in our room which made a racket all night as other people had showers etc. I resorted to ear plugs and my partner didn't sleep very well.

If you are looking for a more comfortable standard of accomodation, I would advise you not to stay here. However if you have a very tight budget and don't care about the quality of the room then this may be worth a look.

Stayed November 2006
4 Thank Tammy123
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2005

The hotel seemed to be a historical hotel as the decor suggested something from another era. While the hotel has seen better days, everything in the room was in good shape and clean and comfortable. I got a quiet room with a queen and twin bed, TV, phone, and it had a partial view of Lake Wanaka. It was right in town so all eating establishements were within easy walking distance. The only quibble I would have was with the small bathroom: separate taps for hot and cold water in the sink, no sink counter for toiletries, shower and sink water pressure a bit low, and the shower grout was brown. It represented an excellent value compared to most of the other lodging in Wanaka, though.

3 Thank giantsfan2