“Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Makarora Country Cafe
Ranked #55 of 79 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

The intercity bus stopped here for a rest room break and the coffee was okay but the food was overpriced.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Smeets P

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“Mortgage you're house to eat here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Food here is very average and extremely over priced. The toasted sandwichs were $8 for 2 slices of bread and a slice of cheese, a piece of fish was 7.50 and it was just out of the box fish. These guys prices are over inflated as the have a.number of tour buses stop here. I feel sorry for any tourist buying lunch here as it's not a.true reflection of the amazing food and cost of food we have.at other great cafes in nz.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kiwibex88
Townsville, Australia
“Only place in NZ where I have had bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stopped here with the intercity bus and they were very busy which I understood. I was going to buy a cup of tea but first wanted something to eat so sat down with my lunch. I would like to point out that I did look around to see if there was a sign about hving your own food (as every other place I had stopped at had these), but there was none. There were a lot of tables free and I would have certainly been finished by the time the rush got their food. Anyway, I was TOLD to get out because he had 2 busloads arriving and I couldn't eat my own food so should sit outside. I really did not mind doing this, it was the manner in which I was spoken to! A polite request and a please and thank you would have been enough! I thought the guy that spoke to us was rude and had no respect. Certainly one of those who have the "they are just a backpacker' opinion! Really irritates me. Needless to say, I did not spend any money on a cup of tea or any other goodies for the bus and I was too worried to use the toilet in case I got thrown out of there too!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank travellingteacher84
Brisbane
“History, Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Basic food. Location excellent. Interesting history. Food quite expensive, but I guess you're paying for fact that this cafe is out of the way. Watching an episode of MKR may help.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
State College, Pennsylvania
“License Plates & Mountains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

At this stop on our bus, we got only quick snacks ... these were fine. But we really enjoyed the license plate collection nailed around the walls and ceiling beams. Most were from the USA, and many states were represented. If you are heading toward Wanaka and happen to have an extra old plate you don't need, the owners of the Cafe & Bar would delightedly accept your gift and add it to their entertaining collection. And the labels on the toilets are clever ... wonder if foreign tourists are confused?

After our snack, we enjoyed walking around the building to see (and photograph) the wonderfully scenic mountains on all sides.

• Visited November 2013