“Wanakas wee gem”

Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have become regular diners at Florence"s where we always receive a warm welcome & beautiful tasteful food along with a perfect coffee (what more can you ask for)We recommend Florence's to all, now we always take our out of town quests to enjoy the experience too.. Love the tastes of Europe & the well thought out gift selections on offer.
Thank you & well done to Sharon & her team.

Sharyn M, Owner at Florences Foodstore & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us and so fairly and open-mindedly. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Discovered this place by accident as was opposite where we were staying and popped in for a coffee - we liked it so much returned the next day for breakfast! I loved the friendly, down to earth attitude of the staff. I think this has to be the nicest place I've ever been for breakfast - mainly in part to how amazingly friendly the staff were! Felt very welcomed and they remembered us from our quick coffee stop the day before. Food and coffee were great too and it was lovely to wander round the little food store bit afterwards and come away with some locally produced goodies. Highly recommend :) I also loved some of the other reviews on here stating they didn't like the attitude of the staff - I loved the fact they were normal friendly people and not ridiculously fake customer service like many places now days. I've lost the amount of times in jobs I've been asked by generally rather rude customers how long the wait is when they can see barely a table is free and the coffee machine is cranking. Look around and if it's that busy yup you're gonna be waiting a wee while and no we can't always tell you exactly how long. Personally I think you guys were awesome :)

Thank you for your understanding comments. The staff at Florences are one of its assets, yet sometimes humourless folk don't appreciate the light-hearted, yet professional approach.We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Called in to see something different with high hopes for some homely food. As everything was quite expensive we couldn't afford to buy much but thought we would buy something small as it felt rude to leave empty handed. Staff at the till laughed at our purchase making comments about did we 'rob our piggy banks' and they hoped we weren't spending it all at once. Honestly felt like asking for it back. Won't be back!

1  Thank Banana2086
Sharyn M, Owner at Florences Foodstore & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Apologies that you did not have a good experience with us.
I am sorry you felt you had to buy something just because you visited us. Many of our customers just come to browse or dream about being transported back to their favourite food experiences - we don't mind. If they enjoy the place they will tell their friends. Oh dear, I guess that means also if they don't enjoy the place, they will also tell their friends!
However, I am also sorry that you found us expensive. We have six sweet items on the counter at $2 per piece, nothing in our cabinet or on our counter is above $8 and our main lunch dishes are $16 - very reasonable value as everything is made daily from scratch with much care and delight.
I have talked to my staff, the Florettes, as they are known, and yes, one of them does remember making the comment about the piggy bank, to some children (with a parent or two) as they had many coins in their hands. It was said as many of us would say in a teasingly manner to children, with absolutely no offence intended. If this was you, we are most apologetic that it was sensitively interpreted. I hope you return and enjoy what we have to offer in a more positive way. Coffee on us of course!

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Busy wee place, but terrible customer service. Very long wait for food and told when asked how long it may be to use common sense and work it out as they are busy. Could have been handled politely but unfortunately not. Such a shame as the table staff were lovely.

1  Thank JenJen8800

Thank you for your comments and our apologies that your experience was one star out of five. We were indeed busy that day, in fact, the busiest day of the year so far.
You are right in that my' table staff are lovely'. They are also competent and efficient. Most have been at Florences since the beginning, so we must be doing something right.
However I definitely will have a word to the Manager.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Travelling from Queenstown to Wanaka over the Crown road, we came upon a lovely French rustic cafe - perfect for a quick lunch stop! My travelling companions are Indonesian and love spicy food - to their great credit, the staff did their best to adapt the dishes for a spicier palate. The building and setting is lovely, as is the little shop attached. Recommended.

Thank You Paul for taking the time out to thank my staff for your experience involving your guests. I am very proud of them and thrilled they went the extra mile for you - they do tend to do that.