“Unfriendly comments”

Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Called in to see something different with high hopes for some homely food. As everything was quite expensive we couldn't afford to buy much but thought we would buy something small as it felt rude to leave empty handed. Staff at the till laughed at our purchase making comments about did we 'rob our piggy banks' and they hoped we weren't spending it all at once. Honestly felt like asking for it back. Won't be back!

1  Thank Banana2086
Sharyn M, Owner at Florences Foodstore & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Apologies that you did not have a good experience with us.
I am sorry you felt you had to buy something just because you visited us. Many of our customers just come to browse or dream about being transported back to their favourite food experiences - we don't mind. If they enjoy the place they will tell their friends. Oh dear, I guess that means also if they don't enjoy the place, they will also tell their friends!
However, I am also sorry that you found us expensive. We have six sweet items on the counter at $2 per piece, nothing in our cabinet or on our counter is above $8 and our main lunch dishes are $16 - very reasonable value as everything is made daily from scratch with much care and delight.
I have talked to my staff, the Florettes, as they are known, and yes, one of them does remember making the comment about the piggy bank, to some children (with a parent or two) as they had many coins in their hands. It was said as many of us would say in a teasingly manner to children, with absolutely no offence intended. If this was you, we are most apologetic that it was sensitively interpreted. I hope you return and enjoy what we have to offer in a more positive way. Coffee on us of course!

There are newer reviews for Florences Foodstore & Cafe

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Busy wee place, but terrible customer service. Very long wait for food and told when asked how long it may be to use common sense and work it out as they are busy. Could have been handled politely but unfortunately not. Such a shame as the table staff were lovely.

1  Thank JenJen8800

Thank you for your comments and our apologies that your experience was one star out of five. We were indeed busy that day, in fact, the busiest day of the year so far.
You are right in that my' table staff are lovely'. They are also competent and efficient. Most have been at Florences since the beginning, so we must be doing something right.
However I definitely will have a word to the Manager.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Travelling from Queenstown to Wanaka over the Crown road, we came upon a lovely French rustic cafe - perfect for a quick lunch stop! My travelling companions are Indonesian and love spicy food - to their great credit, the staff did their best to adapt the dishes for a spicier palate. The building and setting is lovely, as is the little shop attached. Recommended.

Thank You Paul for taking the time out to thank my staff for your experience involving your guests. I am very proud of them and thrilled they went the extra mile for you - they do tend to do that.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

best coffee in town, warm welcome - we were there right on opening for breakfast. Fire was inviting, as was aroma from kitchen. Staff superb - felt like friends.

We went for a simple breakfast of coffee and bagels - both spot on, and served with generous quantity of cream cheese and jam.

We'll be there again.

God bless you - we remember you well - lots of laughs.

Thank you for taking the time out to review us.

Do come backagain

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Had coffee here with a friend and my baby. It is well set up to cater to children (toy box, highchair that attaches to table, outdoor sandpit) without being all about kids. The food store area is amazing - so many interesting products to buy (my favourite is the rainbow pasta). I'm keen to come back for lunch!