“Just couldn't leave... too fine!”

Wanaka Springs Lodge
Ranked #13 of 53 Wanaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2014

John and Glynis are the bee's knees in hosting, simply the best. From the initial greeting, the lovely room with a view and a porch, to the evening gatherings and delightful breakfasts, this is as Hospitality should be experienced.
A call to find pointers on local fishing, to wonderful and accurate reviews of local eateries, we got the best steers,even an invitation to tour a neighbors gardens.
We played 18 holes at the adjacent Wanaka Golf Course, true delight and a treat, but a bit dear.
So much fun, we stayed an extra day, and advise you to do likewise. Enjoy the hot tub too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I was travelling alone and spent more time in Cordrona than I should have so arrived in Wanaka about half past 7 with nowhere to stay! I asked my 'Angels' to guide me and after stopping at 2 or 3 other places and sensing they were 'wrong' I arrived at the door of Wanaka Springs...as I knocked...,the hall light went off....I tried again...nothing.....but I was determined.....! Finally John came to the door and offered me a choice of rooms. Fantastic place, super comfortable bed - lovely fully tiled bathroom with everything you could need...balcony with a view of the mountains (and just a bit of the lake) - wonderful breakfast with his lovely wife producing the delicious cooked fare - and great chat and banter from the other guests....some of whom were friends. I would recommend this place to anyone - especially if you have nibbles and wine in the evenings (I must have been too late!) and all the other things that I didn't have time to do... Wonderful stay - I will remember it as the best place I stayed in New Zealand - thanks again John for taking me in!!!

Room Tip: only saw my room.....but by the look of the photo's there is quite a choice!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2014

One of the very best and most memorable B&Bs out of the countless number we have visited over the years. As always, it is the hosts who make it so. As we climbed out of our car, John was emerging with a big handshake and an enthusiasm that never faded throughout our stay. Nothing was too much trouble. When we bought goodies for a picnic by the lake, he – unasked – produced a hamper of plates and cutlery, plus folding chairs. For our evening meals, he was full of suggestions, whether we wanted a formal dinner or a snack. When I wanted to take a picture of the lake from their garden, he insisted I went up into the private flat he and Glynis share so I could get a more elevated view.
One of the biggest delights was the evening get-together they hosted in the garden with all the guests coming together for wine, nibbles and conversation. Many top B&B owners with years of experience give you the warmth and welcome we experienced here but John and Glynis had got the knack just a couple of months after taking over. Breakfasts were good but, if I have one minor niggle, it is that the level of dishes on offer could be lifted a little in line with the lodge’s excellent style.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

The owner of this B & B has only just taken over and is doing a good job, enthusiastic, welcoming and very social he is most helpful about restaurants and sights. A pleasant get together with all the other guests (quite common) was very friendly here helped along by the host. Breakfast was superb in the kitchen diner enabling banter.

Room Tip: A garden room to north or west seem better
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed two nights in this friendly, cozy B&B. Rooms are OK, setting is beautiful. The service by South-African owner John, a friendly and warm character with lots of humour, is really extra ordinary: at six PM he holds an informal gathering with complementary wine and snacks. He even gave the restaurant ("Elevate", recommended) a call (without us knowing) to inform them of my wifes birthday. It is quite and peaceful, but within walking distance (5 minutes) of the town center.
A place to go back for sure! When in Wanaka: book here!

Patrick and Chris Vanhelmont-Meyers

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I can only repeat all the good things that other reviewers have said. We were looking forward to 2 nights at Wanaka Springs as most of our stays in South Island had been only one night. So glad we chose this place. The owners (John and Glynis?) were really welcoming and genuinely concerned that we had all we needed. The highlight was the pre-dinner drink(s) we shared with other guests. Such lovely touches that made it special. Oh yes, the room was lovely and I saw my first kiwi (a lovely cuddly one on the bed). Super views over the garden. The breakfast was definitely worth getting up for - on Valentines day we were offered Bucks Fizz. Hope to return some day.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Wannabe there still! Loved our three nights at this boutique 8 bed lodge. We were looked after very well by our hosts from the minute we arrived until 'after' we left. The owner even delivered our luggage to the town for us for our transfer to Queenstown later that afternoon. Especially enjoyed the home cooked- to-order breakfasts and al fresco evening drinks/nibbles served on the patio. A nice opportunity to chat to our hosts and other travellers. Our room overlooked the garden and spring, had its own patio furniture and was a short hop to the jacuzzi. Particularly liked the nice open tiled shower and pump bottled toiletries. Good blackout curtains and a wonderful mountain view to wake up to. We had free run of the kitchen to make ourselves tea and coffee which was useful. Conveniently located for the town.

Room Tip: Fog Peak has direct access to the garden.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple