“More than your money's worth”

and 1 more site!
Mountain Range Boutique Lodge
Ranked #14 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Wanaka
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My wife and traveled to New Zealand on our honeymoon and decided to stop in Wanaka on our way to Glenorchy (north of Queestown). In retrospect we wish we had stayed in Wanaka and at Mountain Range longer. The hotel gave you more than your money's worth and is on the footsteps of the most beautiful vistaas in the world, Lake Wanaka and Lake Mowea. We could not recommend Mountain Lodge more highly. Between Erica and Chris and the perfectly fitted rooms, the Mountain Lodge ranked at the top of the list of hotels that we stayed on during our honeymoon trip to Tahiti, Moorea (French Polynesia) and the South Island of NZ. It is a must stay in NZ.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mountain Range Boutique Lodge

Reviewed September 15, 2010

Sublime place to stay. Would definitely recommend any couples or friends traveling in a campervan to have a few days of luxury on their trip and enjoy the view, wine, hot tub and hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Best place I have ever stayed! We both loved it and would go back there in a heartbeat. The hosts were awesome and shared all their local knowledge with us. If you are going to Wanaka, don't stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Mountain Range is up against some tough competition and reviewing it after just arriving home from a weekend there I have to really force myself to be a bit objective. It was a perfect weekend - the lodge is lovely and Chris and Erica are wonderful hosts. The outlook across to the mountains is great and the rooms are really nice. For me to give it 5/5, though, it would need to be as good as the best we've stayed at, and it's REALLY close with a couple of exceptions - the rooms are a little small, and its location is lovely but with an 'outlook' rather than a 'view'. (That is, it's not cliff-top, or lake-side, or right on a beach or river.) Yes, we really are fussy!

And having said that, we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Chris and Erica as hosts MORE than make up for the size of the rooms and the location.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed in Mountain Range with my boyfriend for 2 nights in March this year on a three week tour of New Zealand. My sister and her husband had recommended it as they had stayed here the previous year and loved it and knowing my sister has similar tastes to me I knew she could be trusted! I was not disappointed at all and it really lived up to my expectations. It was probably one of the more expensive lodges we stayed in during our trip but I think overall it was worth the splurge!. It was $320 per night for a premier room which we stayed in.

The lodge itself only had 7/8 rooms so not too busy most of the time and we mainly only ran into other guests at breakfast. There was more than enough outdoor and indoor guest space with plenty of comfortable sofa's and outside tables/chairs to chill out in. There is complimentary WIFI throughout the lodge and plenty of dvd's/books/games etc for those who need it!

The premier room we stayed in was spacious and bright with modern boutique type decor. It was located to the rear of the lodge and had its own rear entrance to a small open deck area overlooking the large garden. Each room had its own outside table and chairs. Unfortunately although the sun was out while we were there it was particularly windy and as it was very open and unsheltered we never really got to use the outside area or hot tub as much as I would have liked. I must not forget to mention there were lovely toiletries in the rooms too.

The couple who ran the lodge Erica and Chris were so lovely and friendly and had an absolutely adorable puppy called Louis who we loved and would often find at our bedroom door wanting to come in and hang out with us which we loved as we are both big dog lovers.

Chris dropped us into town both evenings which was really helpful and avoided the 25 minute walk in and both Chris and Erica gave us plenty of tips and personal recommendations for Wanaka and further afield. The Lodge is probably just a little too far out from the town in my opinion particularly when walking late in the evening in the pitch black.There are torches available in the lodge so make sure you bring one with you. The few taxis we did take were really expensive for such a short distance but as I mentioned above Chris is more than happy to drop you into town in the early evening if you give him notice so you just need to figure out how you are gonna get home and bring your walking shoes if your planning on walking.

Erica was a wonderful cook and offered delicious home made breakfasts every morning. Every afternoon she would also always have a home baked cake that you could help yourself too. Oh and there was wine too if you wanted a glass or two in the late afternoon.
We took advantage of the complimentary bikes and helmets one afternoon to cycle around Wanaka which was great fun and made it easy to get around.

One of my favourite restaurants we ate in was a personal recommendation of Erica's and we were so glad we took it as it was very good and I would have no hesitation recommending it. It was called The White House and was located in the centre of town. Very quirky and probably not to everyone's liking but one of those restaurants you would never find on your own unless someone told you about it. It doesn't help that it does not even look like a restaurant from the street either so you definitely would not stumble across it! Probably the best way to describe the type of food was Mediterranean style and plenty of fantastic wines on offer which the owner let you taste first to help you make your mind up. The owner was an interesting and friendly guy and we sat at the bar for the night which made it easier to have various conversations with whoever happened to sit beside you.

The other main restaurant we tried in Wanaka was The Botswana Butchery which was delicious too. Its an upmarket steakhouse and I also saw they have a restaurant in Queenstown too. We went to Bar Luga (in the same building as Botswana) which I would recommend for drinks. It had great big fires roaring away when we were there which made it very cosy and easy to get through a few bottles of good wine.

Lake Wanaka is a stunning location and I am very glad we spent a few days there. Would recommend Wanaka for a few days if you need to find a stop over in that part of the island or need a place to base yourself to do things in the surrounding area and of course totally recommend Mountain Range and it was probably one of my favourite lodges we stayed at during our trip and we stayed at some pretty nice ones which says it all really.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed two weeks at the Mountain Range and we loved it. From the moment we arrived we were treated like friends. Erica and Chris are fantastic hosts. Whenever you need s.th they will organize it immediately. Erica cooks a brilliant breakfast and her self-made muesli is the best we ever got. Chris prepared the mountain-bike for me and just smiled when I brought it back covered in mud. The next day it was ready again, clean of course.
The rooms are very nice and cosy with a patio where you can enjoy the stunning views over the fields to the mountains covered in snow! The lounge has a huge assortment of DVDs (the room has a DVD player) and books. There is the newspaper every day and the afternoon cakes are lovely.
We highly recommend this place, you won't be disappointed.
There are two restaurants in walking distance and much more in Wanaka (20min walk)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

During our stay in Wanaka, we stayed for three nights at the Mountain Range Boutique Lodge. I had read wonderful reviews before reserving a room, and it was all I expected and more. Erica and Chris are wonderful and helpful innkeepers. As soon as we arrived by bus from Queenstown, they arranged for us to rent a car. Our room was quiet and comfortable, and we were lucky to witness some of the most beautiful sunrises we had ever seen. The breakfasts were delicious, and Chris was quite agreeable one morning when I asked for some cheese rather than pancakes. We could not have asked for a more pleasant stay on our first trip to NZ. We ended up skiing there three days and truly enjoyed our visit. If you like to ski, you will love Treble Cone and Cardrona.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple