Wanaka Bakpaka
Ramada Resort Wanaka(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$84
  • Pool
Edgewater(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$115
$97
Wanaka View Motel(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$123
The Moorings(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$100
$116
$93
  • Pool
$240
Bella Vista Wanaka(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$69
$64
Fairway Motel(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$62
Clearbrook Motel Wanaka(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$101
$98
Orbitz.com
Manuka Crescent Motel(Wanaka)(Great Value!)
$62
$60
All reviewsdouble roomthe kitchenfree wifibig windowsgreat kitchenfree tea and coffeeoverlooking the lakecommon roomprivate ensuitecommon areasfridge spaceshared bathroomper daythree roomsenjoyed staying herelounge areaquiet at night
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I've stayed in A LOT of hostels, in a lot of different countries, also in New Zealand and I must say that this hostel rates as one of the top of my list of great hostels. The location is only 10 minutes walk from Wanaka centre and has a stunning view of Lake Wanaka. I didn't use their kitchen and ate out during the two nights I was there but my experience of the hostel was great. I was in a twin bunk room and I had it to myself. What I liked about it is that there were bathrooms assigned with combination locks only for the use of specific rooms. So only rooms 10a,10b and 10c were allowed to use this bathroom, meaning that you're not sharing a bathroom with hordes of other backpackers. The hostel was spotless, with some outdoor space to sit and read a book while getting a great view of the lake. Highly recommended. Nice and quiet too.The reception staff were helpful and efficient. Overall a great hostel.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms in section 6 to 10 as they're upstairs and away from the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Hi Martina

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us here in June. We are chuffed that you have rated us as one of your top hostels in New Zealand. We do try to provide a bathroom for every two- three rooms so guests never have to wait long for a bathroom. Our aim is to provide a clean, comfortable and friendly stay for all guests and we are so pleased that you experienced this.
We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around New Zealand.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

This place is a gem. We stayed 3 nights here in a double room recently and had a superb time. Just full of praise for the place - it is in a good location, close to the centre of Wanaka but enough away from the bars to be quiet at night. The lake view is unbelievable and the hostel has a massive lounge with a woodburner and with tons of tables and sofas to take advantage of the views and just relax. The Hostel is really clean and has a big, well equipped kitchen. Staff were really friendly as well. Best thing for us was the vibe of the place - all the people staying there were respectful, friendly and it just felt like a great place to relax and enjoy the town. It probably helped that we absolutely loved Wanaka and did some really spectacular walks and cycles (as well as Puzzled World!).

According to the grapevine, it is due to close as a hostel soon so recommend you go take advantage whilst it is still open!

Room Tip: We booked a double room but were given a room with ensuite for no extra charge
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hi there

We love to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We too love our location and never tire of the mountain and lake views that greet us each morning. We agree that our guests are awesome we are so lucky to always get a great mix of people who are respectful and friendly to other guests.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We spent 3 nights here. The Lake View double ensuite wasn't available the first night so we stayed in 10B (?), a double room with a shared bath and then moved to the Lake View room the next day. I actually liked the double room better. It was much bigger and had a closet. I don't know about the other rooms but our shared bathroom was right outside our door. The Lake View room had a porch with a view of the lake (and a picnic table where a woman smoked) but we are never in the room anyway and the view from the lounge was better. The main problem with the Lake View room was that it was really tiny. There was barely room to walk around the bed on all three sides. We had to maneuver around our suitcases to go to the bathroom. Instead of a nightstand there was a narrow tapered metal shelf attached to the wall on each side of the bed that was probably only 6 inches wide at the widest point so there was no place to put anything. . The room was clean and we slept fine, which is all we do in a room anyway. It just didn't seem worth the extra $20/night to me.

They had a large lounge area and huge kitchen with several refrigerators, sinks and cook and prep areas. The manager was really friendly and helpful. We could easily walk into town for dinner and they had a notebook in the room with information about activities and restaurants.

They have a ZenBu wifi hotspot. I think they gave us 50 or 100Mb/night but I bought another 500 Mb for only NZ$4. Unfortunately we had bad luck with Zenbu the entire trip. I frequently couldn't get connections to US sites and couldn't even access my gmail account several days. Luckily, I was always able to access one of my email accounts. Zenbu's website acknowledged that people were having trouble accessing US sites but said the problem wasn't on their end. However I only had those problems with the Zenbu wifi.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi there

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us at Wanaka Bakpaka. We're glad that you found all the common areas well stocked, enjoyed the views and appreciated the staff. We appreciate your comments and like to remind guests that we are a backpackers- budget accommodation and this is represented in our rooms and prices.
We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around New Zealand.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed at Wanaka Bakpaka in a double room in July 2012 and still have fond memories. A warm, inviting place, great views, staff and clean. Will be back in Wanaka 2015 but not sure if I will be staying here as I have a 1 year old daughter but would not hesitate recommending this place to couples and solo adventurers.

Room Tip: Found the double rooms upstairs instead of the en-suite very comfortable and value for money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with is in 2012. We always love to hear from guests whether it be recent or a couple years ago like yourself. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us to others. Congratulation on your daughter, their are some great alternatives for young families in Wanaka, some backpackers offer family rooms such as Matterhorn South Backpackers or YHA Wanaka or Lakeview Motels.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Loved this hostel - easy walk down to the main street, while having one of the best views you could have of the lake. We had a private room with bathroom (shared between 3 private rooms) just across the hall. The only thing that would make this hostel better is if the room was en-suite but the shower room & toilet were quite clean and newer looking than the others.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay in April with us at Wanaka Bakpaka. Right now our view is changing by the day with winter fast approaching we are getting light dusting of snow on the mountains which makes for a stunning view from the living room! We are pleased you found all facilities clean and enjoyed your stay.