“Amazing hostel”
Review of Wanaka Bakpaka

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wanaka
Wanaka Bakpaka
Ranked #5 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Wanaka
Darwin, Australia
“Amazing hostel”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Great location, great facilities, beautiful views and friendly staff, what else could you ask for? I had a read through your bad reviews and laughed cause they are ridiculous. This is the best hostel I have stayed in throughout Australia and New Zealand. I highly recommend Wanaka Bakpaka and hopefully will come back again one day to stay longer. Unfortunately I only stayed one night but I really liked the room and your hostel. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hi Nic

We really appreciate your comments and are blown away that you rated us so highly compared to other establishments you've stayed in during your travels! When a guest remarks on their stay with us so positively it boosts our confidence that we are running the hostel well. We do look forward to seeing you in the future and hope you enjoyed your trip around Nee Zealand in December.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a double room, it was truly lovely, the room looks like those in nice hotels, everything is clean, the bed was probably the best I had slept in in all NZ. Kitchen is great and spacious, views from living room are the best!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hi Moreen

Thank you for reviewing your stay here with us in December. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you had the best sleep with us! We do try to keep the rooms clean, tidy and comfortable.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a rather long review, but I needed it to let everyone know how good the place is.

I stayed here for 3 nights during my stay in Wanaka. It has one of the best views of Lake Wanaka anyone could ask for.

Upon checking in, you get presented with a ticket that provides you with limited access to the wifi, additional top up is also available.

The common/lounge area has to be one of the most comfortable areas within the accommodation. The view from this area was so good!! I seriously spent more time here than any other area at the backpacker. The mood and atmosphere was lively enough that it actually makes you feel right at home. On the side of the common area are a few sofa lounges, they were so relaxing, and once on I didn't want to get off.

Did I mention the view from the lounge and common area was absolutely beautiful!!!!

The kitchen is very spacious and has plenty of benches for you to prepare your food and also plenty of stoves for you to cook. It has a pantry area for you to leave your things and a refrigerator to store your perishables. The kitchen was a very lively place to be at especially around dinner time. The power to the stoves and power outlets in the kitchen are switched off automatically after 10:30pm each night. This is just in case someone accidentally forgets to turn off the power.

I stayed in a 3 bed dorm. I shared it with 2 others during my stay. The beds were comfortable and my room even had a window which we could open and get some fresh air in. Ive experienced in other hostels where there are no windows, it does get a little stuffy and smelly (especially when you have a room full of hikers).

The bathrooms were extremely clean, as a matter of fact, I looked forward to using the bathrooms after returning in the evening. The bathrooms that I used were newly built and were a joy to use. The bathrooms are single person use and have a lock. The water pressure was strong as well.

I must commend on the level of customer service that the staff provides at this hostel. If it's one thing that will keep me coming back to a place, it's the customer service. The service I received was top notch! They were really genuine when they answered my questions and they really friendly about it too!

This place has coin operated washing and drying machines. If I remember correctly it was $4 for a wash and $2 for a dry. Washing powder available for purchase for $1 per sachet. There was a box of laundry powder already there, so I took a scoop out of that, but I put a $2 coin in the box (I hope the owner didn't mind me using their powder).

There is onsite car parking. However depending on when you get back to the accommodation, the car park could be full. I got back around 8:30pm on a couple of occasions and the car park was filled. I had to park up the drive-way and next to the "staff parking" area near the picnic and BBQ. This was no issue for me because it seemed like my private parking area .. hahaha!

The hostel is very close to the main area of town. Although I drove, I would say it would take a max of 10 minutes before you reached the intersection where you would turn right for most of the shops, cafes, i-Site, Supermarket, and restaurants.

I actually arrived in Wanaka a day earlier than my planned itinerary. So I got to the hostel reception around 2pm that day and told them I had made a booking for 2 nights stay, however I would like to add 1 additional night to the stay. Luckily for me they had a bed for me. If you would like to stay at this place, and I highly recommend it, I would suggest to you that you should book well in advance. I saw numerous people get turned away because the hostel was full. But on the positive side, the staff were kind enough to help people find alternative hostels in the area by making a phone call - I thought that was very nice because I rarely see that being done these days by other businesses.

This place is highly recommended! If I was to be traveling solo or with a group of friends next time, I would definitely be choosing Wanaka Bakpaka for sure. I really enjoyed staying here and it was a shame to leave the place on the morning of my checkout.

It really set the benchmark/standard for me when I compared it to the other hostels I stayed at on my trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PhilofOZ
Hi Phil

Wow what an amazing and informative review. We are biased but agree that we have one of the best views in Wanaka allowing us to look over the lake, mountains and town. We do try to keep all facilities clean and tidy so guests can relax, chat, cook etc.
we'd hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels around New Zealand and hope to see you back here some day.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Nice quiet place a few minutes walk from heart of Wanaka. Lovely wooden bunks in a spacious room - great value for money! (Wooden bunks don't squeak every time someone turns over.) Room was huge with 2 sets of bunks and a basin too. Showers and toilet right next door and looked like they just serviced our group of about 5 rooms. Spotless kitchen, free tea and coffee. Breakfast on the deck overlooking lake...Pity we only stayed one night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hi there

We are so pleased your family enjoyed your stay with us in January. We are appreciate your comments and are pleased you found the facilities clean and tidy and enjoyed breakfast on the deck. Even in the winter guests still like to eat their breakfast outside to make the most of the view!
We hope you have so amazing memories of your trip in New Zealand
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I staid here with my boyfriend for about four days and I couldn't have imagined a more wonderful spot. The rooms where amazing-so clean, bright with large windows. I felt like I was staying in a nice hotel. The view is spectacular and there is a wonderful spot to sit while eating or reading a book. Because the hostel was so full, we had to move rooms a couple times and the reception was super kind and helpful even though we were a bit high maintenance in this regard. Our biggest issue was the fact that we couldn't stay longer. Make sure to stay here while enjoying wonderful Wanaka!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Olivia

Thanks for reviewing your stay here in November. Wow we are so pleased you both enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately in the summer we have a lot of guests pre book and due to this can make it hard to fit guests in when they extend. We think it is a great point that you have addressed in your review that if guests want to stay for longer they should definitely book for more than one day so they can enjoy all that Wanaka has to offer !
Tainan, Taiwan
Reviewed December 27, 2013

although my friend and i went there earlier
the staff is still friendly and welcome us
she patiently introduce the whole place , equipment and answer any question
the scenery is very beautiful which make me feel relaxed and comfortable

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay here with us at Wanaka Bakpaka in August. We are so pleased to hear that yourself and friend enjoyed the setting and scenery here. Right now we are in the middle of summer so there is mop snow on the mountains and a lot of boats on the lake which we can see from the living room.
We hope you enjoyed your trip around New Zealand.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Excellent location, friendly staff, clean and airy en suite double room, well equipped kitchen (including cafetieres and free lemons from their tree), free wifi, good views from the lounge area. The staff were helpful in organising my parachute jump. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Hi Hannah

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Wanaka Bakpaka. We are so pleased to here you enjoyed your time with us and found the facilities to your liking. Our lemon tree is amazing and we are lucky enough to get lemons all year round for guests to enjoy. We also have a herb garden and fresh strawberries in it right now! I'm sure you will remember your time in Wanaka since you had an adrenaline experience like skydiving. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around New Zealand.