“best bakpaka eva!”
Review of Wanaka Bakpaka

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wanaka
Wanaka Bakpaka
Ranked #5 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Wanaka
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hostel is as charming as the name is. Situated on top of a hill overlooking Lake Wanaka, the beautiful views outside are complemented by the warm and cozy environment on the inside. It's a very short walk to the bars and restaurants on the lake front. I hadn't made a reservation online beforehand, but the lady at the front desk was very friendly and helped us find a good room for the night. She was also able to recommend a few hikes around Wanaka that were all phenomenal.
My friend and I shared an en-suite room with two twin beds. The room was nicely decorated, the bathroom was really clean and the beds were super comfortable. The heater was phenomenal. There happened to be a bake-off that same night between the different guests, and while I missed the actual event, I was able to try some delicious treats that were leftover. The kitchen itself is very large and well-equipped with plenty of cooking utensils. Internet isn't free, but the desktops available were a lot cheaper than the other hostels that I've stayed at in NZ and the internet worked at a good speed.
I only had time to stay for one night, but really wish that I could have stayed longer. I will definitely stay here if I am ever in town again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
WanakaBakpaka, Manager at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to put a review on the website. It's always good to know what people think about the hostel and staff. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you're more than welcome to come and stay again. We have different events (like the bake off) going on in the hostel, so who knows what your next visit will bring you:)

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very, very good backpackers. Extremely nice and friendly host, large but still cosy common area (tables, sofas, and a fire), and a very well equipped kitchen. You could make a cake there if you wanted. Our twin room was warm, and it was handy having a sink in our room. I see others have mentioned that wifi isn't free - it isn't, but I thought the charge was very reasonable. The common area has three computers for guest use.

Only downside to our stay was our room shared a wall with the plumbing of the room next door, and it was pretty noisy when taps were turned on or toilets were flushed. But lack of sound proofing seems to be endemic to all backpackers I've stayed at so far.

Wanaka Bakpaka was the cheapest place we stayed, and the nicest. It certainly had the best views, and I would be happy to stay there again. Five stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank weta
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us in july! It's great to hear that guests love the facilities at Wanaka Bakpaka and would like to come back to stay again, we can't ask for anything more! We often do have amazing international culinary concoctions being created in the kitchen which is fun to see and smell!
Look forward to seeing you back at Wanaka Bakpaka in the future : )

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Wow... what a great place! From the moment you walk in you can just tell this is a good one. The living area and kitchen are beautiful! And the view from the deck looking at the lake and mountains... wow... wish I was there right now. Rooms were great. We stayed in a double and had our own bathroom which was great. Nice and central. Everyone was super nice and met a bunch of new people. Totally a place that encourages you to meet others... lots of board games, cards and open space in the living/dining room. Wifi cost a couple bucks but no biggie... I will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
WanakaBakpaka, Owner at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Wow, thanks so much for the amazing review you've given us! We agree that without a T.V at Wanaka Bakpaka it allows guests to talk with others- share tips of places to go and unmissable things to do. If you do really feel like chilling out( which we understand as travelling is tiring Cinema Paridiso or Ruby's are great escapes) We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here and love hearing you will return here one day! Happy Travels Wanaka Bakpaka : )

Reviewed July 12, 2012

A quality budget backpacker. Strategic location right by the lakeside so you will wake up with a nice view of lake wanaka. Few minutes walk from the centre. Good facility, comfy common area, large open kitchen kitchen. Staff is very helpful and frendly. No free wifi. Wifi only acessible at the common area. Love this place and highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Hi there

Thanks for rating Wanaka Bakpaka on Trip Advisor. We are always glad to hear that guests have enjoyed their stay with us. We sometimes forget how lucky we are to have a beautiful view over Lake Wanaka but love to hear guests remarking over it! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip around New Zealand! : )

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am in NZ for 12 days. This hotel is my favourite place. I love living room and I love kitchen. Scenic from living room make me like in my dream. Wanna been there for at least one months.

But very few bathroom. No free wifi. wifi costs 3NZD per hour. and you cannot use wifi in bedroom because of no signal. we have to use it in living room.

Room Tip: Two bunk bed looks weak. Big size traveler should not sleep on the top.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Hi there

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here at Wanak Bakpaka! We are very lucky with the amazing views we have from our living room looking over Lake Wanaka : )
It is always helpfull to hear feedback from guests who have stayed with us to see what areas they enjoyed and what areas might need to be addressed.
We have 20 rooms here and at Wanaka Bakpaka and have 17 bathrooms, we also offer coin operated internet which is $1 for half and hour or wireless which is $2 = 50mb or $4 = 100mb. We offer the cheapest backpacker accomodation in Wanaka and this means we then have to charge a small amount for wireless etc. We are however proud to offer free tea, coffee and sugar and pride ourselves on keeping a high standard of cleanliness in our kitchen and shared guest facilities.
We hope you enjoyed your trip in New Zealand and would love to see back again at Wanaka Bakpaka in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed at this place in January 2012, after travelling around NZ for about 5 weeks. Wanaka Bakpaka is - hands down - the best backpackers I stayed in during that whole trip! Staff are incredibly helpful, rooms are spotless and well equiped, the lounge area should be set as a standard for other backpackers, kitchen is perfect (and clean!), and the outdoor area is lovely and very inviting. Somehow the ambience and atmosphere is managed to be kept at a perfect level, easy going and respectful.

Unfortunately I managed to fall out of one of the bunk beds there while sleeping. Turned out later that my foot was broken and that I had to be hospitalized in Dunedin, but before that the super friendly and helpful staff did everything they could to help me, even drove me to the local doctor's office in Wanaka. Later Marika (one of the staff) packed all my things for me while the ambulance was waiting to take me to Dunedin, and then she offered to return my rental car to Queenstown, which obviously would had been impossible with a broken foot. So incredibly nice. I don't know how I'd managed without the help of the friendly staff at this place! Thanks again!

Great staff + great place = perfect backpackers!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Hi Sofia

Thanks so much for posting such lovely comments about Wanaka Bakpaka. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we're more than happy to help out. It was sad that you had to shorten your stay in Wanaka to travel to Dunedin but hopefully we might see you back here another time!
Hope your fully heeled now and your foot is feels better than new.
Take Care Wanaka Bakpaka : )

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for two months in a single room while I was doing a training course for skiing. It was about as a good a place to stay as you could wish for. Brilliant location and very clean and well organised. It has a very homely and relaxed feel feel and is great for long term stays. It has wonderful views of the lake and really helpful staff. Can't say a bad word about it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Nick A
WanakaBakpaka, Manager at Wanaka Bakpaka, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Hi Nick

Thanks for your glowing review ! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us last winter. 2012 looks like it should be a great season with Cardrona opeing on the 22nd! Hope to see you back at Wanaka Bakpaka some time soon : )