“50/50 good to average”

Cuisines: Pizza, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We dropped in for breakfast, and the coffee was great, one of the breakfasts was also excellent.

However my breakfast was inedible. I don't know whether this was just my personal taste, and perhaps the breakfast came the way it was supposed to be.

I ordered the Spanish Eggs, which on the surface of it sounds great, but it was oily beyond belief. The food was literally swimming in fat/oil. I would have raised the issue had someone checked, but no one did, I left the plate three-quarters untouched, which I would have thought would have triggered a "how was everything" upon collection - however it only triggered a "are you finished".

As I said, perhaps that is how it is supposed to come, and if that is the case then it is purely down to my personal tastes and bad ordering on my behalf - just be aware of the oil when you come to order.

UrbanG_12, Manager at Urban Grind, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your meal. Our Spanish Baked eggs are the most popular breakfast dish on our menu. Although very popular in Melbourne, Sydney and now Auckland, I can understand that you did not know what baked eggs are and were surprised with your selection. I can assure you that the only oil that is used is olive oil in the sautéing of the onions. No other oil is added in this authentic Mediterranean dish.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Good food, nice atmosphere, service can be better but it was ok. The prices were fair and the craft beer selection very good. The wine list is commercial and has no charm. We will be back.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

WE stopped and had a great steak sandwich and sat out the front on the bench area which looks down the street and down towards the lake. Excellent

1  Thank Coolumpasty
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We were part of a pre wedding party that had picked Urban Grind as a meeting place. After reading the reviews I was inclined to let them know about the bad service but just rolled along with the plan.
Unfortunately against better judgement we were let down. Very average service! The waitress even tried talking me out of a nice local cider into a beer? Drinks came out one at a time and the pizza did not look nice at all. We ordered a platter and it was ok......we left after 1 drink and headed elsewhere! Not worth it when there are heaps better places in Wanaka.

3  Thank CRAIGTHEKIWI
UrbanG_12, Front Office Manager at Urban Grind, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Our apologies that your drinks came to you table at different times. Spirits, cocktails and some specialist New Zealand craft beers are delivered by bar staff from our mezzanine bar, the rest are delivered by wait staff from the restaurant level. There is no local cider brewed in Wanaka.

Our pizzas that you did not order are regarded by locals as the best in town, but we totally do agree that one platter advertised as "suitable for 2 – 3 people" would not suffice you’re party of 6.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We enjoyed a nice dinner of pizza and duck at this lovely cafe. Very impressed with the selection of craft beer. There aren't many places in town with that many choices and this had 3 different breweries all on draft. I especially recommend the Tuatara beers.