“Tasty Food But Bad Attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Urban Grind

Urban Grind
Ranked #18 of 79 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, New Zealand, International
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wanaka, New Zealand
“Tasty Food But Bad Attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had lunch with a group of friends, all locals, the other day. We all enjoyed the food and our waitress was cheerful and also helpful. On leaving, I was the last in our group to pay. I told the cashier what I had eaten and also asked or my receipt. When I checked it I found I had been charged for a small tart that I had neither ordered nor received. When I pointed it out she said that because I was the last one to pay I had to pay the balance for the table and that one of us had not paid for that tart. The others were already outside. I left feeling outraged and joined the others. After some discussion I went back inside and told the cashier that I was very unhappy about having to pay for something I had not received. She suggested that we all front up showing our receipts. I was gobsmacked at that sort of attitude but I was determined to stay my ground and said that I was only going to pay for what I had ordered. Our lovely waitress just went to the till and gave me my $3.50. It was such a small amount but I felt I had to stand my ground in the face of such rudeness. Thing is that a few months ago I had lunch there with the same group of friends. I thought my bill was rather steep but did not check it till a few days later. I found that I had paid and extra $11 for two items I had not ordered or received. It was too late to do something about it. That's why I checked my bill this time while still in the cafe. Nice food can not make up for this sort of accounting and needless to say I shall not go back to Urban Grind. All I can suggest is that if you are with a group of people and you pay separately, check your bill or you will find that you are picking up the tab for someone else because the cashier did not keep track. Be forewarned. Urban Grind needs to remember that it's the locals who support them in the off season and also that Wanaka is a small place. Word gets around.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank c b
UrbanG_12, Manager at Urban Grind, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for highlighting the problems associated with split tabs/accounts. We endeavour to accommodate tables that request that their account be split by items consumed. We do however believe that food and beverages consumed by a table requires payment in full. The cashier involved believed the onus of payment should fall on the guests who have received this hospitality. Any discrepancy of individual guest’s purchases is the responsibility of the party to resolve internally and not that of the cashier.

We are currently reviewing our policy on split tabs.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
“Funky Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

A casual place, that allowed us to just walk in on spec, with a good menu and attentive staff. Food preparation was good and the cost very reasonable. The place seemed to be frequented by, and catered for, a mix of diners - full meal, casual one/two course, couples and groups.

• Visited November 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Hot chocolate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

They say they serve the best hot chocolate in the world and after having one I can not disagree at all. Try one yo wont be disappointed. We found the staff friendly and the service efficient .

Visited October 2012
Wanaka, New Zealand
“cold plates”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

2nd time I have tried urban grind. first time just after it opened, nothing on the menu i liked, whole fish is a hard sell in NZ, now in italy they debone it for you at the table!
this time Great tasting food on COLD plates, and the wrong plates. They looked bog standard cafe diner plates but charging up market restaurant prices
our seafood "melange" came out on a flat cold plate, even the chips plate was cold. when i told the waitress she frowned and when i told the chef he just looked angry.
i would have thought he would want the feed back

• Visited October 2012
Dunedin
“Great service, food and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Our B&B host had suggested we try Urban Grind and we were not disappointed. Despite being busy, service was very friendly and efficient and the coffees were the best we had in Wanaka. The scones were wonderful too! A lovely spot to relax - new, clean and very inviting.

Visited October 2012