“Southern Rivers Dreaming”

Southern Rivers Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Get the most from your precious time in this fly fishing paradise that surrounds Wanaka and the lower South Island. Guide Jake at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing has vast local knowledge of the lower South Island rivers and lakes. Jake is known as an expert in sighting trout and prides him self on his ability to spot trout in what can be very challanging water, this is crucial to your success when fly fishing New Zealand waters. Jake’s boundless passion, skill and enthusiasm for fly fishing the South Island’s trout rivers will take you a long way toward your dream New Zealand fly fishing experience.
Ilkley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Southern Rivers Dreaming”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

It's a flight to dreamland, this escape from wintry UK to the warmth and beauty of NZ, its welcoming people, wonderful food and wine - and monster wild trout. We have made the trip for four years and have booked to return in 2015 when I will link up again with Jake Berry of SRFF. He is an exceptional guide and the best of company. In days of flood, he'll find you a clear spring creek with hungry fish: he knows the secret rivers with sea-run trout, he's friends with heli-pilots like Pete at Haast, and great hosts like Pete and Janine at Makarora. Himself an angling maestro, he is tactful about your own deficiencies, a hawkeye spotter of elusive quarry and a patient teacher of stalking and casting. And he can cook! I cannot speak of him too highly - David J.

Visited January 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank MaureenandDavid... J

Nuremberg, Germany
“Simply great!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I met Jake in january. The weather was too bad to take the chopper so we drove to a beautiful river. His company as well as the fishing was just outstanding as was the food and the place where we stayed.
I fished several places around the globe and have to say that Jake is one of the best guides I have ever met. He tries everything to make his guests happy and he is not satisfied until you brought a big fish to the net. The scenery was just breathtaking and we very much enjoyed the time together with Jake. Everbody who is looking for a great fishing experience and some real fun we can only recommend "Southern Rivers Fly Fishing"! Thanks again and we will definitely come back to do the Fjordland trip!

Visited January 2014
Jake-SRFlyFishing, Owner at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you Sven and Kersten. It was great to show you around a wonderful part of our country. A shame we didn't get to fly but that's how it is here with NZ weather. Good thing is we have many alternate options in NZ if you know where they are. The heli adventure is certainly what I love doing with my guests and an aspect to my business that has really become a big part of it. So next time you visit we will definitely try again. Glad you got into good solid trout though Sven.

Thanks again for the great company guys.

Jake.
Boulder, Colorado
“Sweet as ... NZ fly fishing with Jake”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

What an amazing country you call home. We had such an awesome time down there...from the beauty of the landscape, endless outdoor adventures, to the food & vino, and of course the great people we met along the way. We just wanted to let you know that you, and our experience with Pete & Janine were a huge part of that. Even though our time together was short, you guys made us feel like family. Our excruciating...I mean our exciting time on the river with an awesome fish to show for it (still dreaming of that monster that got away too), the views, the heli experience with 'Pete the Pilot', the evening feasts...it was all pretty incredible and we can't thank you enough for sharing all of that with us. By far fly fishing with Jake and his buddies was a highlight of our trip to NZ. Highly recommend Jake and can't wait till the next time. Thank you!!!

Visited March 2014
Awesome guys loved the time out there with you, you were a blast.

You got to see how tough our trout can be to fool. It's never a given that it will be easy and at times it excruciating like you say. I had a lot of fun and hope we get the chance again in the near future. The two Pete's loved your company as well and I am sure would love to see you again, this time for a bit longer though.

I wish you all the best for your life together, you guys make a great team.

Thanks.

Jake.
Perth, Australia
“Best Day”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Without doubt one of the best days I've ever had Jake and Scottie are terrific, I fished the whole day with Scottie and am still amazed at his ability to see fish, he taught me more about fly fishing in an hour then I'd ever known. hats off to Southern Rivers Fly fishing. I would recommend these guys to everyone, thanks guys

Sydney, Australia
“Jake is the best”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I haven't actually been out fishing with Jake, have been trying to book him in for an upcoming visit in January, but he's totally booked out - just goes to show how popular and great he is at what he does.

However over the last couple of weeks Jake has kept in contact with me, putting me in touch with other awesome guides and I've finally been able to find someone who is available to take us out. So whilst I haven't experienced one of Jake's trips first hand, he has been so amazingly helpful (something he didn't have to do) and definitely worth a review! Hopefully next time we get to visit beautiful NZ, we'll be able to book in a trip with Jake!

Visited December 2013