“Fabulous Fly Fishing, Gorgeous Rivers and Great Guide”

Southern Rivers Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Get the most from your precious time in this fly fishing paradise that surrounds Wanaka and the lower South Island. Guide Jake at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing has vast local knowledge of the lower South Island rivers and lakes. Jake is known as an expert in sighting trout and prides him self on his ability to spot trout in what can be very challanging water, this is crucial to your success when fly fishing New Zealand waters. Jake’s boundless passion, skill and enthusiasm for fly fishing the South Island’s trout rivers will take you a long way toward your dream New Zealand fly fishing experience.
Pushkar
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fabulous Fly Fishing, Gorgeous Rivers and Great Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My highest recommendation to Jake Berry of Southern Rivers Fly Fishing! I fished with him several times, including a heli trip across the Southern Alps to the remote west of the South Island. I have fly fished for more than 35 years in the western United States and once for a couple of months in Patagonia, Argentina; but never have I had a finer fly fishing experience. Jake showed me the special tricks needed to 'stalk' and catch the magnificent trout in those spectacularly beautiful rivers. Unforgettable are the many brown and rainbow trout we caught (all more than 4 pounds), Jake's infectious enthusiasm, or the great fun we had!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Steve71545

Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ooooo yeah!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

The picture of the completely geeked out fish bum holding that 10lb brown trout is me (Ok so it was 9.5, but who's counting:)

I've been flyfishing all over the world for 15 years now, finally got the opportunity to see what stalking New Zealand brown trout was all about. I've been with literally hundreds of guides in my time and Jake from Southern Rivers flyfishing is top notch. I know it's stressful searching for that right guide for such a big trip, but you don't need to look any further.

Me being a younger chap in my 30's, and new owner of a fly shop in Montana, was a bit nervous about finding someone that will simply just get after it ALL DAY, none of this 9-4 business, after all that plane ticket is steep!

Not more than 4 hours off the plane I was watching my first very large brown trout airshow three times whilst trying to spit the hopper we fooled it with. Didn't see another angler the whole trip, caught several 5-8 pound browns, that ONE of a lifetime pushing 10lbs. The scenery is so spectacular the fishing almost takes a back seat.

Not only is Jake a great guide, but one of the best people you'll meet. He is very patient and he has a very unique personality that meshes with people of all ages. He knows very private spots that don't see anglers and will put you on fish. Jake and I still keep in touch, proud to call him a friend.

Mike Dewey
Seattle, Washington

Visited February 2012
2 Thank adviserofall12322
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

It was my 50th present from my husband to visit New Zealand we chose Wanaka due to the web site of southern rivers fly fishing. Jake contacted us and was most helpful with all our question. Once we arrived we met with Jake and true to his word he had arranged many activities and trips for us. One of the most memorable was taking the over night cruise in the doubtful sounds in one word Amazing!!! Jake has a wealth of knowledge of New Zealand and its customs. He took us places we would never had found on our own. I had mentioned to jake my wish to take a helicopter ride and how I had always wanted to experience the thrill, once again Jake came up trumps - one morning he came to collect us and drove us to a field, I was a little confused and then over the trees came the helicopter to take us up into the mountains - Jake you are a star you made my dream come true. Throughout our holiday Jake took time and effort to make sure our holiday would stay with us for a very long time. If you every get to New Zealand make sure you contact Jake you wont be dissapointed a true guide and a gentleman at that and please say "good
day" from Renee and Carlos.

2 Thank Renee1111
Loveland, Colorado
“Above exceptional! A must for those seeking amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend 3 days on the water with Southern Rivers guide Jake.
To preface the story, Virgin Air lost my bags somewhere between Colorado and Australia.
I expressed my concerns to Jake, upon arrival on the South Island that I was without gear, and this could pose a problem for me. I was upset as all get out, after all, I had been planning this trip for about 9 months. To be without gear for days on end in the back country, thousands of miles from my home waters, was the perfect ingredient of a potential terrible experience, or so I thought. Jake picked me up a few hours after my arrival, with plenty of gear to go around. This immediately uplifted my spirits! I was comfortably outfitted for the 3 amazing days and I didn't skip a beat. Jake put me on some of the most jaw dropping pools and stretches of water, I have ever seen in my experienced angling life. Jakes in depth knowledge of local culture, flora and fauna was eagerly shared with me and this just made the whole experience that much more engaging. The fish were most definitely the cherry on top of this wonderful experience. If you are looking for a remote experience and the opportunity to land big fish, this is your company!The food Jake prepared was of local origin and absolutely exceeded my expectations as well. I was very comfortable with Jake the whole tour. His manner and professionalism makes this great company and guide, a winner in my book. I highly recommend the trip South to anyone looking for an outstanding experience in New Z back country!

Visited November 2011
Snowmass, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Epic Fly Fishing Adventure with Jake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

Last October I went on an epic flyfishing adventure with Jake from Southern Rivers Flyfishing in Wanaka. It was early October and one of his favorite secret rivers had just opened up. He picked me up around 5:30 am and we headed out to this secret river. It was a bit of a 4wd drive into the backcountry. Because Jake is a local and has been fishing this area most of his life, he has access to sections of river that are not accessable to normal fisherman and or guides. We finally got to our fishing destination and at the first crystal clear pool we came to there were approx. 5 large rainbows. I hooked a beautiful 20 inch rainbow. From that point on I think it went 20 inch, 21 inch, 24 inch and finally culminating in a 30 inch, 7 lb monster rainbow!! What a fish! We had stalked it and another rainbow. We could see them both in about 3 feet of clear water. Several casts later and the fish was on. Jake had his video camera on the whole time and got all the excitement on film. A couple weeks later he made a personal video for me so I could re-live the trip anytime I wanted. I have fished many places in the U.S. and Australia. Fishing in New Zealand with Jake was one of the highlights of my fishing career. I would highly recommend you book a fly fishing trip with Jake. You may catch the fish of a lifetime!

Visited October 2010