“Home away from Home”

Ranked #20 of 52 Wanaka B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed four nights with Barbara and Phil during my recent tour of the South Islands and they made my stay in Wanaka fun, relaxing and memorable. My room was comfortable and clean, which was great, especially after a long drive from Franz Josef. During my time, they went out of their way to make me feel at home, with a great morning breakfast, suggestions of must see sites, must do activities in Wanaka (i.e. Canyoning), great restaurants to try and Phil even took time out of his schedule to take me golfing! The location of the B&B is an easy walk to town, to the restaurants, lake and shopping. When I return to NZ, I will definitely be staying at Montrose B&B and strongly recommend Montrose to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay with great hosts...and an awesome dog (Mika).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Montrose B&B for four days in April during our three-week trip to New Zealand which covered both the North and South Islands. So, I am a little late in writing this review, but it's one I wanted to be sure that I wrote eventually because I truly had the most wonderful time staying here. In fact, out of all of the places I stayed in NZ, I would say that this was my favourite. I would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Wanaka and I would also highly recommend Wanaka as a place not to miss on a trip to NZ.

First and foremost, Phil and Barbara are the most wonderful hosts. Staying with them was like staying with family. They were both incredibly warm, welcoming, gracious and easy to talk to. They have travelled a fair bit themselves which I think gives them an excellent understanding of all of the little and the big things that are important when you're travelling. They gave us tons of great suggestions in terms of things to do in Wanaka and places to eat. Thank you!

Our room was perfect - cute, impeccably clean, with an ensuite bathroom. The location of the B&B is excellent - it's in a very nice, quiet residential area just a short walk from town.

One thing we really appreciated about this B&B is that we were able to do some laundry and at no extra charge. Barbara was even so kind as to hang my laundry out to dry for me. Talk about great service! There was also a guest kitchenette (with a sink, fridge, utensils, dishes, etc) which we found handy because we could buy fruit, yogurt, cheese, veggies, etc. to pack with us on day trips.

Breakfast was delightful. We were quite active while we were in Wanaka (there are just so many great paths for running and hiking, we couldn't resist!) and the delicious breakfasts Barbara prepared for us were more than sufficient to fuel us until lunch time.

And last but not least, Mika! I miss that girl! She is such a lovely, gentle, beautiful dog and I wish I could have brought her home with me. If you are wary of large dogs, I bet this warm-hearted gentle girl can change your perspective.

I would go back to Montrose B&B in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed one night at Montrose B&B and had a fabulous stay. They welcomed us into their home and made it feel so homely. The room was very so clean and tidy with a comfortable bed. Their dog was unbelievable adorable and so friendly. If you are scared of big dogs you need to worry about this Samoyed. Barbara will even cook you a lovely breakfast in the morning if you want a cooked breakfast. The only downside was we couldn’t stay longer. A recommend staying here if you ever go to Wanaka.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Phil and Barb's B&B is very comfortable and they made us feel most welcome for the two nights that we were there. We appreciated the use of the free wifi as well as the delicious cooked breakfast both mornings. Cycling to Glendhu Bay was a highlight of our visit to Wanaka.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed 1 night at this fantastic B&B in Feb 2013 when my parents and grandpa came out to visit me from the UK. Barbara and Phil were so friendly and made us feel very welcome. I tend to get anxious around large dogs but they were kind enough to keep Mika out of my way and he caused me no problems. The free wifi was a great bonus and the cooked breakfast was just excellent - it made for real value for money.

The house and garden were immaculate and well furnished. The bedrooms were comfortable and cosy. It was only a 5-10 minute drive to the centre of Wanaka and Barbara and Phil had great local knowledge and suggestions on where to go. I cannot recommend Montrose highly enough and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MikaWanaka, Owner at Montrose Bed & Breakfast Wanaka, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi Nicola
Thank you for the great review and all the best with your career. It was a pleasure to host your family and i enjoyed quite a long chat with grandfather . Our distance to town is 1500 metres and takes less than 20 minutes to walk, footpaths all the way.

Most of our guests love Mika our fluffy Samoyed female dog. She is a ball of fluff and at 27kg she is classed as a medium sized dog. Compared to a husky, who have the same sled pulling job in the snow, she looks small. We generally tie Mika outside at the back of the house unseen if a guest has a particular fear. Most love her so much she is well photographed cuddled and thoroughly spoilt. The Samoyed breed is favoured amongst artic explorers because of their natural friendliness to man. The Samoyed Russian people used to leave their Samoyed dogs with their children in the day time while out hunting and also use them to keep their children warm at night.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Barbara and Phil run a very welcoming and modern B&B far enough out of the centre to be very quiet. The rooms are comfortable and the shared bathroom well appointed. It was a pleasure to stay. Phil indicated he is up for a round of golf at the drop of a hat!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MikaWanaka, Owner at Montrose Bed & Breakfast Wanaka, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments however your score tends to show some dissatisfaction. You traveled in a group of 2 couples and you emailed your accommodation request specifically requesting to share a bathroom rather than pay for the 2 private bathrooms that were available at the time for $135 each. You paid $100 a night for each couple for one night. I am sorry none of your group choose our complimentary full cooked breakfast option which adds considerable value. Your wife asked if we had done renovations recently as she found the property to be in remarkable condition for 5 years old. She also commented on how comfortable the bed was. The other couple in your group enjoyed the large king bed that was advertised as a queen. Our current prices are higher than you paid.. We have found it uneconomic at the rates you paid for only one night.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had one night in this lovely B&B. Lovely cup of tea on arrival and good recommendations for a quick swim in the lake and evening meal. We were made to feel very welcome and enjoyed a wonderful cooked breakfast the following morning. The lake and walks nearby are wonderful. Like many others we wished we had booked to stay longer. Barbara and Phil made wonderful hosts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple