“One of the best NZ memories”
Review of Deep Canyon

Deep Canyon
Ranked #14 of 78 things to do in Wanaka
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I did the Niger Stream tour with Milie back in Feb. First time experiencing abseiling and water slide/jump in a canyon! Absolutely fantastic experience. The day started with a 30min tough hike up hill, but soon found ourselves immersed in a pool of clean valley water. Unfortunately 2/5 of our group pulled out at the beginning of the first jump/abseil (they definitely missed out the fun!), we had a very good time learning the techniques, and enjoyed our time in the canyon.

The lunch after a day of hard work is awesome, they have their own shelf at the bottom of the mountain, with wooden table and chairs, and all you need to make your own sandwich!

We'll definitely be back for the Big Nige next time :)

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our trip with Deep Canyon TOTALLY exceeded our expectations. Millie and Anna were EXCELLENT at their jobs, totally friendly and trustworthy. This was probably our favorite thing that we did in New Zealand, and would recommend it to anyone half interested in any kind of 'extreme' activity. It was a perfect mix of challenging and rewarding. We went in a small group of just my husband and I and 1 other gentleman. We had no experience abseiling, and had no problem catching on. I felt totally safe with our guides, as they were very professional. This was totally worth every penny! If anyone has any questions about the experience, message me!

Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was so much fun! My husband and I did the Niger stream trip when we were visiting wanaka and I have been raving about it ever since.

It was such good value and our guide was cool, calm and collected the whole time. We were in a group of five which meant that waiting for the jump or slides was never a problem.

The hike up to the top of the canyon was fun with beautiful views. We had excellent instruction at the top in regards to safety in the canyon and how to use the equipment. I was so impressed that the safety aspect didn't detracted from the adventure of the trip.

The canyon was stunning with lots of abseiling down waterfalls, natural watersides and plenty of opportunities for jumps. The last big jump was so much fun that my husband and I had three goes each.

I would recommend taking a waterproof camera. It can be easily attached to the wetsuit and I'm glad I took one as the staff camera stopped working after the second slide. I'm really glad to have pictures.

The company was great! I would highly recommend this tour to anybody who loves a bit of adventure and wants to try something a bit different. It would be hard not to enjoy yourself!

Reviewed April 1, 2012

After a week of nonstop adventures in New Zealand, my husband and I were so exhausted that I was tempted to cancel this excursion to rest. We were so glad we didn't cancel! We had an amazing time and it was one of our favorite days of vacation! The trip was well organized and we had a small group of 5 people with our guide for the NIger Stream trip. It was a full day activity, but time flew because we were having so much fun abseiling and sliding down rocks. There were also a few zip lines at the end of the trip. It was challenging and scary at times with steep waterfalls, but the canyon was beautiful and our guide, Anna, was terrific and helped us through each obstacle.

Halfway through the trip, we found a sheep that was trapped in the canyon and looked very scared. Our guide suggested we stop to rescue the sheep, so that's exactly what we did. She was able to create a harness and pulley system with her equipment and we all worked together to hoist the sheep up the steep rock walls to get it out of the canyon. What a unique and incredible experience! When I returned home, this was my favorite vacation story to tell=O)

Overall, we had a wonderful time on this trip and I would highly recommend it!

2  Thank VAgirl505
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Abseiling, water slides, zip lines, lots of fun and a very competent and fun guide in Anna. We didn't have time to get cold!