“National Transport and Toy Museum”

National Transport and Toy Museum
Ranked #8 of 74 things to do in Wanaka
Addlestone, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“National Transport and Toy Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

A fantastic collection of all types of transport and toys etc. - something to interest everyone young and old. You don't have to be a transport enthusiast to enjoy this museum. It is great place for families to visit and you could send a whole day looking around this vast collection. It also has the benefit of a cafe with an outside sitting area for those nice hot days (like the day we visited) and a well stocked shop.

Blenheim, New Zealand
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Mmmmm. So so”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We took our 4 teenagers to this place as we thought it sounded good from the trip adviser , but to be honest our kids weren't that impressed and neither was I. The exhibits although numerous were just crammed in and the cars truck etc filled with more "stuff" that they didn't hVe room for. Although many adults my age may reminisce over the toys, young kids wee just warning looking but not allowed to touch! So really I would give this place miss

Foxton, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Something for everybody”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Had the priveledge of going this muesum when we were down south.

A great personal collection is must say, something to do when its raining if you need somewhere to stroll around for a few hours at least

Christchurch, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Bring back the memories of childhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is one seriously awesome place and is a real blast from the past. The array of toys and other childhood memorabilia is phenomenal and is easily the biggest collection I've seen.

The transport museum side of it is also excellent with a huge display of various cars, a few motorbikes, fire engines, construction machinery and some aircraft and other military hardware.

About the only real thing which others have noted also is that the place is really more of a "Collection" rather than a "Museum" as everything is really just jumbled together tightly packed in the 4 or 5 large buildings with very little information about the various exhibits.

Having some informational panels and/or self guided tours with those portable audio players would probably make a big difference as would spacing things out a little better however to be fair, having everything better laid out and better spaced would take 3 times as much space and add significantly to the ticket price to get in so in fairness, as it stands, the price paid for what you get to see is pretty good value.

There is a small play area for kids to and some old school type tricycles, plus indoors there is a couple of those wooden train sets and a large table of lego... enough to keep kids amused for hours.

All in all, an excellent place to visit.

Christchurch, New Zealand
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Brought back so many memories”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I loved this place! When you walk in all the old school toys in the cases brought back so many childhood memories about Barbies and Sylvanian Families and Lego, and all before you've paid and gone into the museum itself! My partner loved all the old school cars and planes and things, I loved the toy displays and especially the furry VW which I remember being in Sally Cant Skate in the late 90s down Riccarton Road in Christchurch. The collections of various old things like McDonalds toys and Meccano and bowsers and televisions and telephones etc. kept us entertained for a good few hours. My favourite part by far was the vintage peddle car which once I spotted, I ran off while my partner checked out the paddock of tractors behind one of the hangars and cruised by and picked him up in it. Wish we got a few more photos in it but I posted one on Instagram anyway. Will definitely be bringing my future children here one day.

Visited December 2013