“The best experience in NZ”
Review of Wanaka Helicopters

Wanaka Helicopters
Ranked #8 of 60 Tours in Wanaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Wanaka Helicopters has operated since the mid 1990s in the Southern Lakes region and into the World Heritage Mount Aspiring and Fiordland National Parks. Experience stunning scenery with our flights including Wanaka, Mount Aspiring, Glaciers, and Milford Sound. Trips range from 25 minutes - to all-day adventures that encompass more dramatic land, sea and alpine vistas than anywhere else in New Zealand. Wanaka Helicopters is a Safety Award Winning company. Our pilots are highly experienced scenic pilots and helicopter flight instructors. We fly 7 days a week (weather permitting) from Wanaka Airport. We are genuinely passionate about what we do and love to share our special part of the world with those who fly with us. On every flight you can expect a safe, highly professional and reliable service that will be memorable, educational and totally personal.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We recently had to good fortune to take an hour long tour with our pilot Chris. We spoke to him nearly everyday about our trip. We finally got a beautiful day on Thursday 3rd July. Words cannot really describe the amazing beauty of the views from a helicopter. Our boys aged 10 and 11 had the time of our lives, Mum and Dad too. It is an experience that we will all remember. Chris shared his knowledge with us and answered loads of questions. It was very exciting to fly close to the mountains, see all the places they filmed Lord of the Rings and to land on the mountain. We filmed on our Gopro and Chris took some great photos. The flight back over the Lake was amazing. It was over too soon. It may seem pricey but it is an experience not to be missed. Thanks also to Nikki. I think we were just as excited as the kids!

1  Thank Louise H

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The amazing staff at Wanaka Helicopters helped me to organise a magical proposal. Staff and pilot were so nice, the scenery is incredible and (lucky for me) she couldn't say no!
Will definitely be back for another great flying adventure!

Reviewed June 28, 2014

fantastic experience they were professional safety conscious and fun would do it again at the drop of a hat

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is a must do. We took the aspiring magic tour of one hour. Both the landings gave spectacular view of the area. The pilot, Chris was wonderful. Played a lot with our son and took some really great pictures. The pricing can come across as steep for an hour of ride but rather than breaking your back in a coach for a full day, this is a lot better investment.
helicopter experience is way more personalized and interesting than the flight options.
Thanks.

1  Thank 6siddharthp
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My fiancée and I flew with Wanaka Helicopters a few weeks ago as part of a surprise proposal flight I'd planned. I'd considered a number of other operators in Queenstown (especially since we were staying there) but Nicky and Charlotte at Wanaka Helicopters were so helpful and quick at responding that I felt they were the right one to go with. I booked a flight which would first land at Coromandel Peak on Mt. Roy, then proceed to a second landing on Isobel Glacier.

We were very lucky to have beautiful weather on the day but when we arrived for the flight, Charlotte very discreetly advised me it was a little too windy to land on the glacier and asked if I would be happy with an alternative snow landing on Mt. Pisa. I was impressed when, without prompting, she also advised me the alternative was slightly cheaper than the original glacier landing as this shows what an honest operation they run.

We had a wonderful pilot, Peter, who was able to allay my fiancée's nerves about going on her first helicopter flight and kept the proposal and the second landing a secret. Throughout the whole flight he also provided lots of informative commentary on the scenery. Peter waited patiently in the helicopter during the proposal on Coromandel Peak then brought over the well hidden champagne after the successful proposal. I was supposed to head back to the helicopter to get it but had gotten a little too caught up in the moment! He also helped us take lots of beautiful photos using my camera, both on Coromandel Peak and Mt Pisa.

Huge thanks to Nicky, Charlotte and Peter at Wanaka Helicopters for your help with this very important day. We couldn't have flown with a better outfit for our first helicopter flight and the proposal was everything I had planned it to be, and more. The views we saw on the flight and from Coromandel Peak were amazing and we just couldn't have gotten the same sort of views on land. After this experience, I'm sure this won't be our last helicopter flight - we hope to fly with you again and will definitely be recommending you to others!

2  Thank DaytonaV