“A real treat.”

Ranked #2 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Wanaka
Melbourne, Australia
“A real treat.”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

After a couple of weeks staying in hostels with shared facilities we decided to treat ourselves to the deluxe double with ensuite at the Purple Cow. I could barely contain my surprise and delight when we were shown to a completely private little cabin with fully equipped modern kitchen and sparkling bathroom! It was like a home-away-from-home and I would 10/10 go back there and stay in the same room again. To top it off the staff were lovely and the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Spend the cash and go for the deluxe private room - totally worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChildrenOverboard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Weird setup in the double "private" rooms with shared bathroom facilities. Your room is next door to another room with another double and you share a bathroom and kitchenette with that double. I thought it would be private. I don't mind walking to a bathroom facility, but the setup was just awkward. I didn't want to know my neighbors, they didn't want to know me. It may as well have been a multi-dorm room. Cleaning services were a bit awkward coming in while I was dropping one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve E
Lerwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Everything you want from a hostel: clean rooms; good communal facilities; free pool table; comfortable dining, lounge and tv room; bikes for hire and free parking. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room rate was good for a double ensuite.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank adamson20
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Wanaka has a communal small town feel, YHA Wanaka had the exact same feeling. The approachable staff (who were always ready to answer questions and provide useful recommendations), Smokey the cat, mountain views from the reception and the new doubles room made the experience positive.

The location near restaurants and the craft beer/wine bar/takeaway place Pembroke's was another great addition to the overall experience.

I would recommend staying here and give out my thanks to the staff!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get the doubles room with the private bathroom (26A)!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Markham, Ontario
Reviewed October 29, 2013

As soon as we arrived, we knew we should have ridden to Wanaka sooner. We had a double ensuite which was very nice and had lots of space. We had gotten soaked riding over the Crown Range and the front desk was kind enough to open the ski drying room for us to hang our wet gear to dry. Our room had a nice lake view beyond the parking lot and road.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Franz Josef, New Zealand
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at Wanaka YHA a few times and each time it was great. In addition to this being a very clean and homey hostel the staff was consistently very helpful and patient with my tedious questions that I can only imagine were terribly repetitive for them. I stayed in private rooms that were spacious and very clean. It is a stones throw away from this little whiskey joint on the corner and a few minute stroll into the heart of town. Not much more I could have asked for. It was a perfect fit for my time in Wanaka.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
O'Fallon, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2013

It was great to have all the mountains around us. I could see the Milky Way which was amazing. The hostel was clean and nice. Hot water in the showers. The kitchen and community areas were cozy. I only wished that they had alcohol haha. It's close to all the walking tracks and great for the price. Definitely stay here a few nights if you can! Can't wait to go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends