“Great local food”

Hunters Cafe & Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Had the freshest salmon last night I have ever eaten. On the strength of that returned to try the venison. Even better. Delay last night was due to the fact they had run out of salmon so they had to nip up the road to get some from the salmon farm up the road.

There are newer reviews for Hunters Cafe & Bar

Reviewed November 26, 2012

After staying recently in a local hotel, we visited this restaurant after we had heard mixed reviews. On arrival we were sat at a table and given menus and ordered drinks. After waiting quite a long while, we had to ask for the drinks again, but being that there was only 1 person on drinks and food, the girl was trying her best to cope, it not very well. The food came, two of the party had ordered steak, which both came over cooked!! I had ordered pasta, and left nearly all (it was horrible, left an aftertaste), I thought I might have been asked if everything was alright by the waitress, but nothing. We paid and left. Would definitely not recommend this restaurant on this visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Very dissapointed with our meals here, Had been a few years ago and was lovely.
Seafood chowder was brown however edible, Garlic bread was burnt to a crisp and the burger was underflavoured and just not nice. Wouldn't go back.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

A disappointing meal, so much so that I didn't bother with desert. My meal seemed to me to be prepared by someone going through the motions but without any finesse. Consequently the chicken was overcooked and tough and I didn't finish. However I was welcomed and served by friendly staff and it was a warm pleasant place on a cool evening. Perhaps I chose the wrong dish.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Twizel is a sleepy little place and there are only a few places to eat. Hunters offered a simply menu but the quality of what we had was great. What particularly impressed was the use of good local produce. I had a lucious piece of locally farmed venison cooked to perfection and my partner had a big chunk of locally caught and cured smoked salmon which was the best she had ever tasted. No fancy cooking here - it's just simple stuff, done very, very well.