“What a find!”
Review of Matuka Lodge

Matuka Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Twizel B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We were driving from a lodge near Queenstown on our way to Christchurch, and needed a halfway point to stay for one night. Thank goodness for the Internet; Matuka Lodge was a real find! The hosts are just lovely, the lodge in a gorgeous peaceful setting though just minutes from town (and the yummy Poppies Cafe). Accommodations are very clean, new, upscale, and warm. A wonderful cooked breakfast in the morning, drinks in the evening, free internet access, wonderful views. Great showers and very comfortable beds! We were very very happy to find this little oasis and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 11, 2009

My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful time during our two-day stay at the Matuka lodge. From the gracious hosts to the perfect ambiance to the mouth-watering breakfasts, we couldn't have asked for anything better. And what really bowled us over was the lodge's location -- even though slightly far from Mt Cook, which was our main destination, its seclusion and tranquil surroundings makes it even more special. We could sit on the deck for hours and watch the trouts jumping out of the pond, the ducks quacking and sun setting. Beautiful... we would definitely stay there again if we are in that part of the world.

Swapna & Mayukh, Singapore

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SMMM09
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We were recommended to go to Matuka Lodge by a family member who had stayed in 2007. How delighted we are that we took his advice. It is of the highest standard in every way. John and Coleen, Rosalie and Russell are the best kind of hosts. They are friendly, available when needed, but leave you alone when you want peace and quiet. We also really appreciated the free WiFi and drinks in the beautiful lounge with the hosts and other guests at 18.30. Optional obviously, but very enjoyable. Our room had its own deck area and views across the lake to snow capped mountains. Breakfasts were excellent, and cooked to order. We can't recommend Matuka Lodge too highly and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nessie P
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Wow!! This place is wonderful, Coleen and Jon were the perfect hosts, advising what walks there were, best sights to see and where to eat in the evening.
Having said that they gave us plenty of space to truely relax and it really is an amazing place to do just that. The views are ever changing and beautiful, the bedroom is spacious, well planned and perfectly kept. The common room area is very thoughtfully laid out giving each guest a seperate area if wanted or a lovely venue to all sit down with a glass of wine and talk about the travels.
This was our last stop on a month long holiday and was the only lodge we extended our stay in, that says a lot.
Thanks very much to Coleen, Jon, Rosalie and Russel, you've given us both some wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.
P.S I hope the ducklings are still doing well! :)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2008

What a great place to spend my first night during my first adventure to New Zealand!
I starting planning my trip to celebrate my 50th birthday 8 months prior, and had come accross Matuka Lodge researching quality places to stay near where I wanted to be trout fishing. The minute I had visited the web site, I just knew I had to stay there, and I wasn't disapointed at all.
Their web site accurately represents Matuka as it's advertisted, but I found it to be better than I expected in person.
Rosalie and Russell are fantastic ambassadors of good will and fine hospitality for New Zealand. Their wonderful personalities and beautifully decorated home made you feel just that way...right at home!
Every morning's breakfast was to die for, I was so spoiled.
The rooms were very cozy and extremely clean and the view from out side my room was exceptional!
My alarm clock every morning was of the birds singing from my opened porch door and watching the day begin with some of the best sunrises I have ever been blessed to see.
One big bonus for me with staying there was I made two new friends with Rosalie and Russell and can not wait to return next year to stay with them. How many places can you say that about?
You will not be disapointed with your stay at Matuka Lodge!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2008

The location and back drop of this lodge is just beautiful. The lodge itself was spacious, tastefully decorated with lots of space for guests. The lounge was very comfortable with amazing floor to ceiling windows overlooking the mountains. The bedroom was large, well designed with patio windows on to a private seated area again with mountain views.

The lodge facilities were excellent with free wifi, small kitchen stocked with tea, coffee and homemade biscuits. A guest laptop with internet access is also permanently available. The snug TV room with DVDs and Sky also came in very handy on the day the weather came in.

Breakfast was lovely and on the day we needed to be up very early Rosalie insisted on getting up to make us breakfast. We had the cold buffet dinner at the lodge one evening which was delicious.

Rosalie and Russell were welcoming hosts and literally nothing was too much trouble for them. Well travelled with great conversation they genuinely wanted us to have the best possible stay.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this lodge.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Matuka was perfect, exactly as described on the website and much much more. We sat on our private terrace watching the sun set over the snow capped mountains wishing we could keep our own piece of paradise for longer. Breathtaking and beautiful views in a quiet setting. Rosalie was the perfect hostess, breakfast was delicious and it was great to taste local produce. We will deifnately include Matuka in future tours.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends