“Ideal For a Stop Over”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Twizel
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Ideal For a Stop Over”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff were really friendly & helpful.

The room was clean, the kitchen was a bit of a fight when everyone wanted to cook at once but provided all the necessary provisions.

The bunk I was staying in could have done with a screwdriver! Noisiest bed ever! But apart from that very happy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed here one night in a Studio with kitchette, the room has all facilities. Heating is the only drawback. Room was clean and neat. The receptionist or Owner, not sure who he is seems to be bit rude and not quite helpful. If you are planning for a stopover or one night night stay this is a good one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here as part of a road trip with a friend so we could visit the mount cook area. We booked two beds in a three person backpacker room, although it was not clear how many would be in there at the time of booking. Upon arrival we were only offered one key between us. When we asked for one each we were told no as there would not be one for the other guest sleeping in the room that night. We were puzzled, and not particularly impressed by this given that there would be no guarantee in a backpacker hostel that all of the inhabitants of a room would know each other!

We were even more annoyed by this when my friend accidentally locked us out of our room, given that there was only one key. Upon politely asking the owner to borrow a spare key, he proceeded to talk to me like a 3 year old child, and tried to embarrass both of us in front of the other guests in order to 'teach us a lesson'. I found this completely inappropriate and out of order, especially as this could have been avoided had they had enough keys! He even proceeded to make even more smug comments about the situation as we were checking out.

There was also a school trip staying whilst we were at the hostel. This made it often difficult to use the kitchen, and I generally had the feeling that the owners cared only about making them happy at the expense of other guests by telling us what we could and couldn't use.

The facilities themselves were average at best. The rooms felt very old and the beds were far too soft. Having to walk in the rain between the kitchen and out room/toilets was not ideal either.

This is definitely the worst hostel that I have stayed in by far during my travels in Australia and NZ. I do not understand how they can expect to have satisfied customers by treating them like that. Do not go here at all costs!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Steven T

Travelers are raving about these Twizel hotels

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Dreadful "lodge" that looked like old army barracks. Hot water boiler in my room -- insane racket when anyone used it. No insulation in rooms or corridors. Ancient, uncomfortable beds, dingy dirty bedspreads.

I ended up leaving at 11pm: the din from conversations in the adjoining rooms, drunken louts shouting from somewhere, and the stifling heat from the boiler. No answer on the phone outside reception to ask to
change rooms after ten minutes of ringing, hanging up and ringing again.

Currently in a motel up the road at 11.30. I will let you know whether they refund me for the unused night.

• Stayed January 2012
Ashkelon, Israel
Reviewed December 14, 2011

The motel reminded me an army camp with its long barraks ans srerile areas in between. The rooms were pretty convenient but looked old and neglected. In the bathroom we found leftover pieces of soap from the former guests. There were some broken equipments and general feeling that the place is not realy clean and realy taken care of. At about midnight a syrene started shouting very loudly as if a war has just started. But one song thrush was sitting on a high branch of a nearby tree and sang. HE had a remarkbly wide repertuar and it made up.

Room Tip: Considering the above mentioned and the price I would try other hotels..
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Our stay at the High Country Lodge in Twizel was the low point of our stay in NZ. The lady who ran the place was the RUDEST person we encountered in New Zealand by far. I'm pretty sure she was an owner. We had to call her up on the phone when we arrived, as the lobby was locked. She seemed very unhappy that we had interrupted whatever she was doing. She insulted my girlfriend, was not helpful, and pretty much made us feel as unwelcome as possible. The place was a dump, too.

I will tell everyone for as long as I live to NEVER go to this place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I spent one night in their backpacker rooms (dormitory). I paid $30 for the night I think. Was provided a twin room with a fisherman which was alright, free tea coffee making and microwave and bar fridge and TV as a bonus but didn't use them.

Kitchen is YHA standard, enough cutleries, I just microwaved my food.
Not many people as off peak.

Not a hotel nor a motel. Decent backpacker, while not the best I have seen in NZ. That goes to YHA Rotorua or Auckland in my experience. But better than YHA Lake Tekapo.

Bathroom was decent too, proper doors in shower to not see feet, hot water and pressure.

Does feel like a school camp as they had diff units unconnected to the main amenities. Free pool table too included.

Recommended to budget travellers ie young people on OE or short stays. Otherwise family, couples etc, go to the Aspen Motor Lodge (sp?).

Room Tip: N/a.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twizel
Mackenzie Country Inn
The Lakes Motel
The Lakes Motel
#1 of 4 in Twizel
Mount Cook Glentanner Park Centre
Mount Cook Glentanner Park Centr...
#2 of 4 in Mt. Cook Village

Been to High Country Holiday Lodge? Share your experiences!