“Sweet Bananas”

Navutu Stars Fiji Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yaqeta Island
Reviewed January 10, 2008

We were looking forward to our 7 day break, we made the most of every minute, the first 2 days were really hot and we got a bit sunburnt, so we didnt mind the cloud and rain that came afterwards. We still managed to snokel most days, the wind was annoying but it still didnt hold us back The cave trip was long and hot in the small tinny boat, not sure if we would do that again, the cave was ok but not that exciting. The water was beautiful, warm and sandy and blue. Snorkelling was the highlight, but we didnt appreciate being left for 75 minutes while they went spear fishing with other tourists. We saw 2 reefsharks really close and a good size, i still dont know if they are dangerous but we were really scared. Safety issues were often brought up by guests, Fiji is very laid back so I think you need to look after yourselves a bit more instead of relying on the boaties. The cocktails were nice but pricey and small, food was great, tip-take some snacks, and water, and beer, and duty fre..............

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank sweetappled

Reviewed January 3, 2008

Bula!

We stayed at Navutu stars for 6 nights for our honeymoon. We can't possibly put into words how wonderful Navutu Stars is. It was an amazing vacation!

We loved our Grand Bure, the staff, the food and the amazing snorkeling.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Parthenius
Reviewed December 29, 2007

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Fiji for our honeymoon. We were there at the end of Aug, beginning of Sept.. For the first 5 nights we stayed at Maravu Resort on Taveuni Island, which we loved. Then we spent 7 night at Navutu Stars. We did most of our research online, and found the reviews to be very positive.

Overall, we agree with the reviewers, yet there were a few aspects of Navutu Stars that were a bit negative. I'll begin with the positives though. First of all, the resort was a small and intimate setting, where the staff were very friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed getting to know Noah the bartender, as well as Kikau, one of the waiters. We were invited to join Kikau and his family Sunday afternoon in the village. We went to the methodist church, and ate lunch that his wife prepared for us. No other resort-goers took the initiative to spend time with the people in the village that we knew of. We really enjoyed that personal interaction, as it helped us come to know the culture better and see what it was like to eat traditional Fijian food (consisting of fresh fish cooked in coconut milk, and root vegetables).

We found the accomodations to be pleasant. We stayed in the Garden Bure, because it was less expensive. We found it to be much nicer than we were expecting for it being the cheaper of all the bures. It was spacious and clean. We had a partial ocean view, and the doors opened up completely to the ocean breezes. It was surrounded by trees, making it cooler as well as much more private that the other bures. The ocean front bures were probably a bit bigger, but they weren't as private. The front "yards" of the bures become a thoroughfare for resort-goers and staff members, making the ocean front bures public for people to see in....not our preference! At our bure, the only people that walked by were an occasional staff member coming to clean our bure or bring the menu! One negative for our bure was the low water pressure. We found the colder temperature to have the most pressure, which was ok, as long as you don't mind a cold shower! Overall, it wasn't enough to ruin the experience.

Now to our NEGATIVE review. We read in previous reviews about how superb the food was, but we never heard about the cost of the food. The food is PRICEY!! For example, a bowl of penne pasta with red sauce was approxiamately $18 USD. I could make the same thing for less than $5 USD at home! We would start off the day getting the complimentary continental breakfast, which consisted of fresh tropical fruit, 2 muffins (the same kind everyday), 2 pieces of toast (the same jam everyday), and 4 mini pancakes....as well as coffee and juice. It got kind of mundane after the first 3 days. If you wanted eggs or something, you paid extra (like $7 USD for a fried egg!). One positive: they let you take any extra muffin you didn't eat, and wrapped it in tin foil for later. For lunch we'd each get a sandwich or salad, then for dinner we'd often share a meal, b/c of how expensive it was. The taste and quality of the food definitely was not worth the price! I'm not sure why the other reviewers didn't mention this about the food. Tip: bring snacks for in between meals OR expect to spend extra money!

The atmosphere was hard to explain...contemporary mixed with traditional Fijian. Someone described it as "boutique", whatever that means. A lot of younger couples, some older. At dinner time, they'd play music you could hear on an ordinary radio station in the US (James Blunt, Jack Johnson, etc.)...not very authentic Fijian! Yet, for breakfast, two of the Fijian staff member would sing and play the guitar which was very nice.

Overall...nice resort (many more positives I could write about), great location (always sunny!), BUT it could be better if only the food wasn't as expensive.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank dilugatravels
Reviewed December 28, 2007

My wife and I know Fiji very well and we like to think of it as our second home and Navutu Stars has been reccommended to us by friends.

As soon as you arrive you are greeted like Fijian royalty with beautiful singing and a very loud Bula so you can immediately get in the island mood we were so much waiting for.

Setting is gorgeous, 10 Bures spread along 2 different beaches, one of which is perfect for long walks.

We booked Grand Bure 3, stunning. Both Bure and bathroom were large and I loved the hand made coconut roof and the frangipane garden with Balinese bed and hammocks.
My wife went crazy for the small details like fresh flowers and buddha statues that give a balinese taste to it.

No corkage fee, fijian singing at breakfast, the shape of the pool, private pick nicks, and so on.

Food was great, by far the best we ever had in Fiji, a delicious home made focacia is served with all meals, fresh papaya. Chocolate muffins are baked every morning and are part of a very abundant breakfast.
Dinner menu changes every night, a bit of a shame because we could have had the fish-filled ravioli and the gnocchi every night. We did ask Ben for a repeat on our last night though...yummy.
(we just loved him and all his recipes)

Extremely attentive staff, unpretentious, genuine and yet of the higher standard.

They never made us sign anything apart from a waiver of responsibility and never went once to Blue Lagoon to swim, yes the place is quite tidal but who cares.

All went fine and I reccommend this place...ça va sans dire.

PS
Ask the owner's wife for some Fijan hula-hoop dancing classes, she is just amazing

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Guillame_73
Reviewed December 26, 2007

Spent 5 nights at Navutu Stars in July and had an absolutely fantastic time. The island is incredibly isolated with no TV or cellphone coverage so you really feel like you're getting away from it all. We stayed in the garden bure because we were on a budget and it was cheaper, but I actually preferred it to the beachfront bures, some of which fronted onto a tidal inlet rather than a beach, and were also less private with other guests walking past. If you go for the beachfront bures I'd recommend asking for one of the ones furthest from the restaurant as they are more private and have a better beach. The bures are spacious, comfortable, and gorgeous - the website photos are accurate.

We did a lot of the day trips and really enjoyed them all - especially the trip to the caves. The swimming and snorkelling at the resort isn't great, but there are daily trips to lots of good snorkelling areas nearby. There is a pool but it is pretty small and really only good for a quick cool off. Given the lack of a good swimming beach it's a shame they didn't put in a bigger pool.

The food was great and definitely a cut above what I've had at other resorts in Fiji. I'm a vegetarian and there were no problems catering to my diet - the chef even cooked me a special dish one night. The drinks at the bar seemed ok value but wine with dinner was pricey - we were glad we had the foresight to bring some wine with us from home which enabled us to have a pleasant drink on the deck each night before heading down to dinner, where we mostly drank water or Fiji bitter. There are no activities or things to do in the evenings - we were in bed by 9 or 10 most nights but for me this just added to the overall feeling of rest and relaxation that made the holiday so special.

One of the things that I most enjoyed about this resort compared to other places I've stayed in Fiji was the friendliness of the staff, most of whom are from the local villages. It's a new resort and it seemed like the local people were really glad of the employment opportunities it offered. I had a feeling of genuine enagagement with the local culture which I haven't had in other, larger resorts. If you're the sort of person who likes anonymity when on holiday, Navutu probably isn't the place for you. There's certainly no pressure to participate in anything, but it's a small place and it could feel awkward if you didn't want to interact with the staff and other guests.

The only negatives I can think of were the weather and the Turtle Airways transfers. It rained the first day we were there and was windy and intermittently cloudy all the other days. It would have been nice to have at least one perfect tropical island day! As we only had 5 nights on the island we had chosen to travel by seaplane to maximise our time on the island, rather than having to spend hours on the boat getting there. In particular, we had requested the latest possible return transfer, which we were told was 4pm, yet on the day of return we were told at breakfast that we'd be leaving at 11am. I was quite disappointed about this as I felt we could have saved our money and got the ferry. On the way over we had to stop at another island for nearly 2 hrs to wait for some other guests - who weren''t ready because apparently they had been given the wrong pick up time. Still these are minor quibbles in what was one of the best holidays I've had - I'd go back to Navutu in a flash.

7  Thank IceandIndigo
Reviewed December 26, 2007

Two thumbs up

Navutu Stars has been amazing for us. We went there for our honeymoon trip. It is a terrific place for a honeymoon or any other romantic occasion.

The food is impeccable, well presented, delicious, very abundant. The menu changes frequently, and they are happy to accommodate a special request should you have one.
I ate lobster every day, and the fish ravioli is spectacular. We went ahead with the gourmet meal plan, and was perfect. Alcoholic beverages are not included and their prices a bit on the expensive side (at least in US dollars), but not outrageously expensive. Drinks by Noah are well made, though again a bit pricey. The dinner menu is outstanding, lunch menu never changes, though you have quite a few options to choose from. Breakfast is continental (included in the package) and has a fruit platter (varies somewhat day to day), 2 slices of toast per person, 2 muffins, and about 5 small waffles. Very tasty, comes with juice and/or coffee/tea. Also, there is cereal available.

Overall, the staff service is outstanding. We were treated like kings. There are 9 bures, and only 3 were occupied, so service was great! We took a lot of trips to the nearby places (snorkeling) and went diving twice. They were all worth it. We did not engage much in the hikes, only once we went to check out the local village. We fished as well (spear and rod). The front of the property has a beach that is subject to the tide. I read some reviews they were concerned about the tides. This did not bother us. You can still swim, snorkel, etc all along the ocean right in front of you. There is great snorkel in the area.

We paid our stay upfront for the week, and the other charges (alcohol, optional trips, etc) are all added and you pay that upon departure. We had no issues. I read some reviews concerned about swimming. We swam everyday in front of the resort, and snorkel as well. No issues. Weather was also great, only one tiny bit of rain one afternoon. A bit windy the last 3 or 4 days, though the first 3 days were pristine. Just two days before we arrived there was a cyclone (daman) that did not do any damage to the resort. Overall, everything in the website accurately depicts the resort…

The massages given were great. The pool was small and we never used it. They have plenty of games and books, so don’t bother taking games (they have backgammon, chess, cards, monopoly, scrabble, sudoku, and others).

The bures are great. We stayed in bure 1, which is a grand bure. We had booked a cheaper one, but they upgraded us for free. I didn’t ask why, I just said thanks! It was large, had a great tub facing the water, and a huge deck. Everyday staff comes and prepares your bath at your preferred time. This includes hot water, lights, candles, flowers, etc…very romantic.

We took the turtle airways to get there. They were great to us. My only advice would be for you to take with you earplugs or any noise reducing device you can get, as the small plane is quite loud.

The only negative was that we never met the person that was supposed to greet us at the Nadi airport, this was non critical to us, we just hoped onto a taxi, and they drove us to the turtle airways departing point (10 Fijian dollars, not sure if that is the fare or what, there was no meter)…Also, my wife was a little hot at night to sleep, since there is no a/c. It never bothered me. Also, there were supposed to be mosquitoes there, we encountered very few. We had taken off and other repellents that were not used during the trip.

Overall, we recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet, romantic place to spend a honeymoon trip. We stayed a week, and could have easily stayed longer. Wish we had!! We will be back. You may pm if you have any specific question about the place, etc…

By the way, Noah the barman said something that amazed me: about 60-70% of guests cry when they leave Navutu. Truth be told, as departing time neared, and the staff began to sing for us goodbye, I could see tears coming down my wife’s face…What a fantastic place, we could have not been any happier…the best week we have ever spent…

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank OneBigLeo
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I chose Navutu Stars for my honeymoon after reading the beautiful comments on tripadvisor and we could not have been happier. The surroundings are astonishing, the food is delicious and the staff is unbelievably nice. Everybody seemed to be making an extra effort to make our stay as enjoyable as possible and Kikou, the charming waiter, sang to me on our last night!
Well done to everybody at Navutu Stars and thank you all for the wonderful experience.

Stayed: October 2007
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island
Turtle Island
Turtle Island
#1 of 1 in Nanuya Levu

Been to Navutu Stars Fiji Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!