3,965 results
All reviews lagoon pool chi spa beach bar and grill kids club ocean wing banana boat family room fiji time putt putt beach massage family holiday village tour games room kids eat free main pool ground floor fijian resort
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Have visited Shangr-La a couple of times now - big resort with heaps or little to do - found this visit different to the last - service not as good, staff not as friendly. Lots of the litttle things they used to do as extras have all gone. Enjoyed outside restaurants more than resorts - Tom Lous and Geckos great fun but resort restaurants pretty average.Not happy with Bilo Bar closed for private functions - queus for kids meals a joke so we ate elsewhere alot. Good place for little kids or large groups but wouldn't return again.

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Fijibaby66
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I will never travel back to the Shangri La or Fiji for that matter!
Money stolen, seeing glasses taken, credit card charged by hotel with no permission, I had to call for clean towels and for the room to be made up!
They wouldn’t even give us our change back for our purchases! I had to wait 3 hours to get my change back after purchasing some drinks. The hotel staff even had the nerve to say that she was hoping that I forgot and she got to keep $80! I wish I never paid for my stay as it was not worth a dollar. Buffet breakfast was rubbish! Buffet breakfast is an option of foods not bacon eggs and beans! Rubbish is what I call it in every way shape and form! Service was rubbish and food was just shocking! Over priced by a mile!
They are rude and made my stay a living hell! I have never been to a resort that goes through your suite cases! I busted the cleaner twice!
I hated every minute of it! The front door wouldn’t close and the sliding door was also broken.
We would wake up in the middle of the night with our front door wide open!
Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else!

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
10  Thank TravelQueen10_84
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I have literally read every review on shrangri la before I went and have recently spent 8 nights at the resort. My wife an I have a 7 , 5 and 4 year old. Wife has worked in travel for her whole life and we have travelled extensively.

Pros
- great for kids, kids club great , babysitters cheap etc as per all reviews
- Stayed in ocean family room 454. was fine. clean. not heaps of room with kids, but ok.
- Breakfast at buffet is great
- kids loved kayaks which are free

Cons
- contrary to other reviews, massages on beach are shocking. simply oil rub, not a massage. pay extra go yo spa. EVA is great
- meal package is not worth it. you could easily get away with spending $30 fijian at lunch for 2 adults rather than 2 x $30 credit.
- wine is so expensive. richmond grove $60 a bottle aussie. get duty free
- eat at kalevu resturant, really great food. we ate there every 2nd night. and it was excellent , the service at Taklevi is shocking. ate there 3 times and took 1 hour to get food/drink every time. We never ate at buffet and kept it safe with kids eating basic pasta etc and avoiding meats. People do get sick in Fiji

Hot Tips
- Highly recommend Melita the baby sitter we had. brillant, enough said.
- Request outside table on the deck at lagoon terrace for breakfast and dinner with kids. Beautiful.
- dont go on village tour through hotel. we did not take this but others did and it takes the whole day and is a bit staged by reports. If you get a good babysitter get them to take you to their village, thats what we did and it was great. left kids at the local school for 2 hours to really see what it is like. There are 7 villages around the resort and all the employees live in the villages.
- take gifts for the village. dont take chocolates etc. take resouces that will leave footprints; pens, books, highlighters, pads. Raid you work stationery cupboard, go to reject shop and get some cheap stuff . it does not cost much, but it really makes a difference.
- get a real coffee at breakfast buffet. costs extra. but only $7 Fiji . worth it.
- girls loved getting their hair braided. it is not cheap at $80 Fijian . But it takes 2-3 hours. So plan it. Would suggest start at 4pm and make your way up to Bilo bar , 50 metres away and have a cocktail at happy hr while you wait for kids.
- book babysitter when you get there straight away. if you are not happy with them , change them pronto. there is a big difference in quality, we got a great one. also if they are good, tip them. Think about what it costs at home. You will understand when you
see where they live and how they live
- we stayed in the radisson for 2 nights also. I would highly recommend breaking up the holiday. Next time we go we will spend 3-4 nights in one resort and 6 nights on another.

we had a great holiday and you will too.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
11  Thank allgood0027
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Just returned from my daughters wedding at the Shangri-la. While a bit apprehensive it was the most wonderful day you could ever imagine. We had a group of 27 people who enjoyed not only the special day but the days previous and afterwards as we stayed on for a holiday. Once you are in fiji time and relax it is the even better. Couldn't be happier.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank barb073
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Where does one begin! We had previously stayed in a Shangri-lah in Sabah and had a wonderful experience but unfortunately, this resort was the complete opposite in every way. Our first impressions were that it was resort which had grown like topsy and was very old. On our arrival there was a distinct lack of information provided about the resort by the reception staff ie where to find things, what was included in the charges, how the "meal deal" worked at the resort - in fact not a lot was explained. The reception staff seemed disinterested and in fact, the duty manager seemed to be unable to make any decisions about anything (I will revert to this comment later)! We were shown to our room (we assumed that we would be provided with a room away from family groups) by a helpful assistant but were flabagasted by its lack of flowers (considering this is a 4 1/2 star resort), empty mini bar (had a small fridge with a broken shelf in it!), no longlife milk for tea/coffee (only powered satchets), no digital clock/radio, no DVD player and the list could go on! The cleaning staff were friendly but every day there were items missing ie non-replenishment of coffee/tea; bath mats/towels not provided on more than one occasion (got down to a face washer as a bathmat); etc. - rooms were often not serviced until very late in the afternoon. Often the night turn down service didn't happen either. On a few occasions we reported the ice machine out of order only to find that the bar staff were depleting the ice machine for their use and for resort guests who required large quantities of ice!
My comment earlier about the ability of the duty manager to make any decisions came about because our son and a friend had booked a twin room in the Lagoon Wing of the resort. Quite by accident, just prior to their arrival, we discovered that in fact there were no twin rooms available and there never were any available in the Lagoon Wing but according to the duty manager for an extra $20 Fijian we could have arranged for an upgrade!! Another couple of young fellows had also requested the same room layout and were conned into paying the extra money for an upgrade to an Ocean View room - the duty manager blamed the travel agents (although one request was booked through Shangri-lah's own website!) for the this error. We asked to inspect our son's room but were told that wasn't resort policy - obviously they didn't want us to see that not only was there only one bed, but the sofa bed wasn't made up either! Our son had taken the "meal deal" but due to a delayed flight (7-8 hr delay) missed out on his dinner on the first night (and we realised he wouldn't have meals on a number of other days also). We suggested that the amount which was allocated to the meals could be credited towards the upgrade of the room - but no! The duty manager was unable to make that decision given that the package was paid for in Australia - hello everything was paid for in Australia!!! He suggested that he would advise his manager of our request and we suggested that he also ask that all travel agents be advised of the lack of availability of twin rooms in the Lagoon wing - a letter was supposed to be written and he undertook to advise us but hey we're still waiting for that reply!
On a positive note - the wedding which we attended was wonderful, the Chapel is beautiful and the massage/foot massage on the beach was the best but the staff work in a very run down facility!
We could not give this resort any more than a 3 star rating!

Trip type: Traveled with friends