“Fantastic family holiday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Auckland
“Fantastic family holiday”
Reviewed November 29, 2006

This was our second family holiday and was just as memorable as the first. Service, facilities, acitivities were all top notch with the lovely Fijian's leaving the longest mark on us. Will definitely go again for what is a lovely destination at the end of the rainbow!

• Stayed June 2002, traveled with family
2 Thank Nick M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
sydney
Reviewed November 29, 2006

Bulla. We had the best holiday. Two adults, Two children aged 15 and 12. Delicious meals, fantastic staff, great activities--We still mimic Jonny by the lagoon pools infectious Volleyball NOW!!!! Paul is an A1 scuba instuctor and we would and did put our lives with him. Catamaraning---great We did everything. Thoroughly recommend the Nomeouamoa trip through the tourist desk. It made a native Tongan with us feel homesick so how true to life is that.
Please don't let the political upset spoil your holiday as it has no impact at all over there. We like the Bali situation are only hurting these beautiful people. Honestly we were within half an our of Suva at one stage of a tour and all we saw was the true beauty of Fiji in the geography and its people.
Make sure you connect with Ben at the lagon pool as he will see you right in all things Fijian. In fact they all do. If we were leaving tomorrow, we would not cancel.

• Liked — the activities
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — go----don't listen to Australian media hype
9 Thank colees
QLD
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I went to Shangri-la for 4 nights with 25 other people as me and my husband got married in the Sea Side Chapel....
WOW it was amazing..... we couldn't say one negative thing about the place.
Food was fantastic and it was hard choosing where to eat as the food was fabulous everywhere!
My wedding was the best day of my life.....
We will be defiantely going back...
Thanks again to all the wonderful staff!
We stayed in the Ocean view deluxe room and it was HUGE!!!!
I can't wait to go back................................

THANKS EVERYONE WHO MADE OUR TRIP THE BEST 4 DAYS OF OUR LIVES xoxoxo

• Liked — the view and most comfty bed
  • Disliked — nothing
5 Thank Ken&Ben4eva
Brisbane
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We just got back from an amazing trip in Fiji - our second visit but our first time as a family with 4 year old twins.

My sister just got married at the Shangri la Fiji and we stayed there for three nights.

What we loved:
We stayed in a ground floor ocean view family room and it was very quiet and peaceful - just a very short walk to a lovely pool that was the "quiet one" and lots of grass for the twins to run around and play on and they loved to collect fallen frangipanis from all the beautiful trees.

The lagoon on the other side of the resort is a bit of a hike from our rooms but was just gorgeous to swim in - it was better than I thought it would be as we have previously stayed on the islands.

Breakfast at the Takali restaurant was amazing - lots of choice and a beautiful location.

Shopping was also pretty good - lots of little boutiques for souvenirs.

Not so good:
The lagoon side area was quite crowded and noisy so we tended to avoid that (although very close to all amenities).

Only tried the kids club once and the staff didn't seem to be too enthusiastic and there were only two other children. Didn't feel very "fun".

Lack of room service variety and could be very slow.

Watch buying bottled water - some of them are not sealed. Fiji brand was ok but there was another brand that seemed a bit of a worry.

Wedding info:
My sister got married in the most beautiful glass chapel overlooking the ocean. It was just magic and perfect in almost everyway. She had a fijian choir singing. Leading up to the wedding was quite frustrating due to communication difficulties though - even at the hairdresser a couple of hours before the ceremony she still had no idea what her hairpiece (frangipani) looked like so the hairdresser could work out an appropriate style and in the end they forgot it!
The charges were a bit much too - anything "wedding" related (eg bridemaid hairstyle) seemed to be automatically double price despite being the exact same hairstyle as other guests who were charged normal rate. They also charge $250 for use of a small cd player at the reception. We offered to bring our own but electricity costs were reportedly going to be $150! This is a shame because everything else was lovely.

• Liked — Beautiful tropical garden and beach setting
  • Disliked — Very large so somewhat impersonal
3 Thank Cedarcreek
Christchurch
Reviewed November 20, 2006

We arrived at the Shangri-la resort by helicopter from the outer islands - a fantastic way to see the grand scale of the resort, it is 109 acres and you can really appreciate just how big it is from the air. The resort is linked to the mainland on the Coral Coast by a causeway.
Having come from a stay on a tiny island in the Mamanucas, we took a while to adjust to the size of the resort - and how far we had to walk to get everywhere. Our main reason for staying was to attend our friend's wedding at the delightful seaside chapel. Although we had requested a room close to the rest of the wedding party, we seemed to have been put as far away as possible! However, our ocean view room had a fantastic view and was a great place to watch the sunset. We did get used to the long walks to the restaurants, lobby and lagoon etc. The room was recently renovated and was very tidy and our air conditioning was excellent - the coldest our of all our friend's rooms we discovered!
We found the food to be of good quality, and not as expensive as we had expected. We ate mostly at the Tikali restaurant and drank during happy hour at the Black Marlin bar - the cocktails are great and very potent!
The resort seems very kid friendly, and although we visited outside of school holidays there did seem to be a lot of children. There seemed to be plenty of activities to keep them occupied and to give the parents a break!
I can highly recommend getting a massage on the beach - a great way to end the trip.
Our friend's wedding was a magical day, and the staff are very professional in the way they prepared for it. The food was fantastic and the setting magical. The chapel is gorgeous, and the special fijian touches to the ceremony are great. The staff were very accomodating to all your requests.
Overall, we really enjoyed our 4 nights at the Shangri-la, it made for a very memorable holiday with our friends.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank ParadiseNZ
Melbourne
Reviewed November 13, 2006

I rocked up at reception without a booking, as I had transferred from another hotel which hadn't met my expectations. I had stayed at the Shangri-La in 2003; they had since upgraded their rating to 4 star and boy was it reflected in their rates (even in making a last minute direct booking as I had). This was disappointing as I felt they took advantage of my situation (in that I arrived late at night and needed a place to stay), so they said the only room available (from 490 rooms or so), was an ocean view, which turned out to be the most expensive. Having said that, the room lived up to its 4 star rating with new slippers, robes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soaps, shampoos, body lotions etc; the room was fabulous...air-conditioned, clean, quiet, feather pillows, crisp white linen. Breakfast was a let down though as one would expect that if you are paying AUD$400 per night to stay at a 4 star resort, there would be decent bacon pieces on offer...all they had in both restaurants (re bacon) were the fatty tail ends of the bacon pieces, and there were no hash browns - they had bland roasted potatoes or mash, which was not very appetising for breakfast; there was an array of fruit, cereals, omellettes, fried eggs, toasts, jams, pastries, yogurts, and juices though. Also, I was unfortunate as there was big conference on at the resort with hundreds of delegates...I really didnt want to be reminded of the corporate world whilst on holidays, but it was in my face for a few days - hint: check that there are no conferences beforehand. Room service was a bit slow in having your room refreshed, but other than these drawbacks, it is a great resort to stay at - this was my second time, and I would go back again. I travelled alone, just a short break from a hectic work schedule. Being female and alone, I felt safe. The weather was hot (31C everyday), although I was told that it had rained every day the week before. The staff were very friendly, as always. Here, you can make your stay to be as busy/active as you want it to be, with so many activities on offer (jet-skiing, parasailing, gym, snorkelling, diving, tennis courts, and even shopping at a small shopping mall it has), or as slow and relaxing as you want it to be (which was my choice this time)...I spent most of my time by the horizon pool with a good book which was fabulous, or on the white sandy beach, on my balcony with the ocean views, having beachside massages, or in the comfort of the air-conditioned room; I ordered room service for dinner, if I was hungry, and that arrived within 20 minutes of ordering, which was not bad. Admittedly, there were heaps of kids around, but the ocean view rooms are in a quieter side of the resort, so this wasnt TOO much of a problem. I think what sets this resort apart is that there a 4 restaurants to choose to eat at (expect to pay around AUD$25 for a pasta dish) or you can go to "Tommies" Chinese restaurant outside the resort (10 minutes with taxi) and pay one third of the price (food was not bad) - I went there with some people I met at the resort - not alone. It has 3 pools to choose from, lots of activities, nearby small town to visit and grocery shop, great for families and kids - the resort also has a large amusement room with electronic games and pinball machines. They also have nannies for hire to look after the little ones if mum and dad need some time out (nanny rates are very reasonable). Every night at 6pm, the local young men come to the resort from a nearby village, in traditional warrior dress to perform the torchlighting ceremony - they sing and dance with fire and beat the drums, and its the same chant every night, but you never get tired of seeing the same performance. I had a lovely relaxing break and returned back home (and to work), feeling refreshed and rested. Would recommend this resort to single ladies travelling alone, and of course to families - I had a wonderful time (yet again)!! Highlights of this resort are the white sandy beaches with prestine waters and palm trees; 2 of its restaurants are by the water on the beach - it was fabulous to be able to have breakfast by the crystal clear waters in the morning under the morning sun, or a quiet latte or a cocktail at the end of the day watching the sunset; I also enjoyed going for walks on the huge and beautifully kept grounds which are covered with so much lush and tropical flora; there is so much colour, and you cant help stopping every now and then to admire the tropical flowers.

• Liked — Clean, many things provided for so didnt have to bring,eg. slippers, robes, toilletries
  • Disliked — slow in refreshing the room
  • Tips/Secrets — check no conferences held at time of your stay
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
10 Thank annas123
Tewantin, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2006

What a wonderful place, you were made to feel so special. The one thing we noticed was the huge effort that was put into saying bula, beautiful big fijian smiles from the cleaners to the lobby staff to the gate guys, you were always made to feel special. I make this point as it was missed at Plantation Island. The king size beds were to die for so so comfortable but would recomend getting the kids into proper beds and not sofa beds, our girls struggled to sleep in these small hard things. The bathroom was huge and lovely. We were in one of the oceanview rooms and the only problem I would say was the distance we had to walk to get to the main areas, would go for a room that was closer to everything next time. Lots of tours available at resort but you could do your own thing by hiring a taxi to show you around, this can save you heaps. Get the breakfast meal plan as it is so worth it, what a spread (buffet). We didnt do dinners at resort as it was very pricey and fussy kids don't help, instead we got a taxi from resort for $6 there and back to Tomlous Rest which is about a 7min ride. Go there whatever, 64 dishes from Euro,Asian to Indian, most dishes between $8 and $15 and are really nice, don't be put off by the jailbars across the windows and doors, this is normal in fiji, if your lucky you can have a Kava outside with Tom, wonderful man. Gecko's rest across the causeway was okay, go there Sunday night as they put on a free 2 hour show while you dine, remember most things are shut on Sundays.Get a taxi to Sigatoka $25 from resort, and go to supermarket there, Coke cans $1 resort price $4.95 if by the pool, $2.95 from resort shop. While there go to Indigenous Womens Handicraft Centre, it's on the river side of the town centre, wonderful friendly fijian women and prices the cheapest we came across. Kids can get hair braided at shop next door for $1 a strand compared to $3 at most resorts. Try the markets but be aware of the indian women, wow they're good, give you free gifts, compliments and hard luck stories and before you no it you feel obliged to buy something. Only lasted ten minutes and that was enough. So if you want luxury, professially run clean and a super friendly resort, plus beautiful surrounds stay here.

• Liked — Clean tidy and the big soft bed
  • Disliked — The food prices a bit over the top.
  • Tips/Secrets — Read review
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!