Just returned from Shangri-La Fijian after a 6 day holiday in Fiji. We are very pleased with the hotel especially the friendly staff.
We stayed in a Superior Ocean View room with two double beds, big enough for our family of three. The exterior of the building looked a bit tired as some others have written, but the furniture and fixings in the room were new and well maintained. The best thing in the room for us was the free broadband internet, so remember to bring your laptop if you do not want to wait at the internet centre which only has four computers for the whole resort.
The best thing about the resort was the staff, who are always friendly and ready to say a cheerful "Bulla" when seeing you. However, some of the staff at the watersports centre were not as helpful as others, and looked a bit slack.
The cost of the food was of five star standard. We booked the rooms through the website of the hotel and took advantage of the Bonus Choice package which included daily buffet dinner and breakfast. This made a huge difference in terms of the cost of the meals. If you want cheaper meals you can also try the restaurant at the Gecko's Resort opposite to the Shangri La. There is also a restaurant called Tomlous which supposedly is very good. We didn't know about this restaurant until our hired car driver told us on our way to the airport. The resort staff are not too keen to tell you where these restaurants are. Ask the hired car or taxi drivers to take you there instead if you want to try them.
The buffet was quite good. They did have different food almost every day and had an excellent seafood buffet dinner on Wednesday and Friday, so take that into consideration when booking, as they do not advertise this.
Everything that is not free is quite expensive. We tried kayaking which was free and enjoyable. The tennis courts were free but we had to pay 10 fiji dollars for a racket. I bet they expected the guests to bring their own rackets from the other side of the world :) The bike riding was good but we had to pay 11 dollars for hire of a bike, and many of the bikes had flat tires or faulty brakes. As many people do, you can choose just to stay at the pool or the beach for the whole day. The pools were excellent, but if you want to take a cold dip on a very hot day, you should do it at the beach, as the pool water can be quite warm.
The tour desk do not offer many options. We tried the Coralrail trip which was special. Or you can ask the hire car desk to suggest to you what other sight seeking activities you can have.
The hotel is renowned for its family friendliness so expect seeing kids everywhere but the resort is huge, so you can always find a quiet spot, if you want to.
Overall I recommend this resort to families with children if budget is not a major concern. We are pleased that we chose the Shangri-La Fijian for our first Fijian holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island