“Very Disappointing”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We decided to stay at the Shangri-la predominately as its location offered the best beaches etc on the Coral Coast - and that's about all the island has going for it. The room smelt strongly of mould and was very dirty. Could not sleep the first night as the bamboo rattan on the back of the bed stunk.. we needed to air the room for about 48 hours before the smell went.
The food was ridiculously expensive and mediocre quality. It was even more disappointing that on some evenings if there was a fire walking show on - some of the restaurants were closed and limited options were available to us. The facilities were average - sun chairs broken, snorkels broken and we weren't allowed to take the canoes or sail boats out if the wind was stronger than a soft breeze! The watersports staff were definetly on 'fiji time'. We could also wait as long as an hour for a drink or food order.
The staff need to brush up on their personal hygiene as many of the uniforms were dirty and stained - not a welcome look when coming to eat breakfast in the morning. I would also question the quality of the food provided.
I could imagine that the resort would have been wonderful - once - but if definetly needs some TLC. It is more like a 3 star expereince.
Something that really disappointed me about the resort is the strong selling that some wandering tour guides do while you are trying to relax by the pool. We had just settled for the day and had ordered the children some lunch when we were bombarded by a sales rep for the hotel selling the coming event or tour. This went on for about 20 minutes as I did not want to be rude and ask him to leave in front of the children. He did not draw breath and was extremely annoying. I noticed that he did this nearly every day that we were there by the pool.
Will not visit there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank queenieAustralia

Reviewed March 29, 2009

I had stayed at the Shangrila many years prior and decided that my husband and l should spend 12 days there. When we arrived our travel agent had messed up our arrival times so the resort was pretty well full, however the reception staff was very helpful and found us a room, but it was in the ground floor overlooking the beach and had not been renovated, the sliding door to the rear of the room was broken and we were robbed, the staff at reception called the police who arrived immediately and we filled in a report , however we were not offered another room, or any type of compensation and we felt that management were not sympathetic even though our wonderful housekeeper had reported the broken door herself on two occassion. We were told by staff that thieving by guests was quiet normal and happens on a regular basis. I have no photos of the stay as our digital camera was one of the things that was stolen. I booked a morning at the Spa by phone and when l got there found l did not have an appointment but one had been made for me at the beach massage, again very dissapointed. I was told l would receive a credit on our account because of this but none was forthcoming when we checked out. Overall the prices were very expensive. especially drinks, and food in the more exclusive restaurant was very very dear, but beautiful. One washing machine and dryer for many guest was ridiculous, and again no one seemed to care. Buffet breakfast is lovely but get there when there is not so many children eating, as this is a family resort. If you want a nice relaxing holiday for adults do not stay at the Shangrila, there is an overall feeling that no one including management really cares or wants to take responsibilty for anything .

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bevf21
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Bula!!!
I have finally got around to writing my review on the Shangri-la Fijian Resort.
Now that my fiji time has worn off and its been 3 weeks since reality hit, its time to do some reviewing on my 3 week fiji holiday with my boyfriend.
This was my 13th visit to fiji and the Shangri-la, I have stayed at many places but always make sure i put the Shangri-la into my trip.
On this trip I started my first night at the Sofitel in Nadi the night we arrived because we were going out to Lomani Island resort the next morning and its close to Port Denarau. I will have a review on the Sofitel and Lomani aswell if you want to have a look, plus the hilton in nadi that we stayed at on the last night so we were closer to the airport for the early flight, we have found over the years its much easier staying in a hotel closer to the airport either side of your trip so your not rushed etc.
Anyway after 4 days at Lomani (beautiful) we made our way over to our 2nd home The Shangri-la Fijian Resort and Spa. Now i hadnt been there since 2004 so i was expecting changes as I am a member there and get sent newsletters with all the new renovations etc to keep up to date. To be a member you must of stayed there a minimum of 7 times and you get inducted into a club called the Bilo bar club for men and Davui for the women, you get discounted room rates,a few extra perks in the resort etc
So after a 5 year break I did find my first day a bit unfamiliar, to someone that hasnt been there before they wouldnt know what i was feeling but there was so many changes and some I didnt feel was for the better. I wont get into them as they are very minor but from going there since i was 6 years old you do hold onto memories and staff members and certain things that you enjoyed and looked forward to.
We orginally were put into a Ocean view family room even though its only the 2 of us we prefer a bit more room , but when we got into it my boyfriend wasnt 100% happy and wanted to move to a suite so lucky me he payed for this beautiful upgrade, with a very nice discount cause of our memberships. We stayed in a suite that was seriously the last room on the resort and if you have been here you would know how big it is haha we didnt mind it cause we didnt have kids or prams to worry about and it was a nice walk to do.The suite was absolutly gorgeous.................
The next shock for me and I think the last one really was the price of the food and drink.
I totally understand what people are saying, yes its very expensive. Now we had the option of doing a meal plan but we chose not to as we didnt want to have to eat certain meals or menus etc and if you decided to go out for lunch or dinner you are still charged even if you dont eat at the resort so we thought we will do what we always do and just eat what we wanted, most of the time we shared stuff or even missed lunch and had dinner because after the buffet breaky and when your in the sun you dont really eat that much. I can reccomended getting the breadrolls that they sell at the adults pool which is called the Takali pool they are $fjd 10 and you could easily share one for a couple if your not that hungry, they sometimes sell them at the Lagoon terrace aswell., they have all different fillings. Be careful when you want to order room sevice because you can get the same menu for dinner at the lagoon terrace cheaper, for example the club sandwich for room service is $fjd 32 and in the restaurant its $19.50. So little things like that can save you on money if you want to , so just take a walk around and see your options. We sometimes just got a club sandwich to the room at night and shared it as it comes with a bowl of chips and a bowl of salad and that filled us up heaps, always good after a night of cocktails!!
Speaking of cocktails, the prices have gone up heaps since ive been there, they are now $fjd16, and spirits are around $fjd10 so best to get you duty free, have a few in the room and go to happy hour. Now after i got over the prices of the food and drink, I had the best holiday as always, it was much quiter than normal the hotel was at 19% occupancy the first week we were there and went up to 30% when we went home. So we had the resort to ourselves, it had its good and bad points for that. Bad being that most of our hotel staff friends we have known for years didnt have any shifts cause of the low occupancy and the usual pool games were less and i think a few kids were bored as there wernt as many other kids to play with , but that is a plus for me haha as i didnt have to listen to kids screaming at each other and we never had a problem getting a bure and lounge chair to sunbake on. Other bad points were that some of the restaurants wernt open every day, but we ate at all of them over the 12 nights we were there and they were great!
The black marlin bar has delivered as usual, music,cocktails and happy staff. Bulli the Dj is wonderful he looks after the kids disco that is on 7.30-8.30, i didnt like it at first but after a few nights it was really cute and i know i would of done that when i was younger so i didnt mind.They work it good to ,happy hour is before that then the kids come in , then most adults go have dinner when the disco is on and when thats finished the adults come back and the kids are in bed!! Perfect
My boyfriend and i went to the new Chi spa for a 2hour massage, it was beautiful, a bit expensive but worth it, but my boyfriend ended up getting 2 more massages from the beach bure and they are heaps cheaper and he said it was much better than the spa so give them a go.
You must remember when your in fiji that there really is fiji time, if you havent been its hard to explain this, its not their way of brushing you off or an excuse to be slow, they are really like that, they dont rush anything and being rude to them will only make it longer, they dont stress like most of us, they just laugh and smile and in the end you get what you want. Now im not saying they take an hour for a drink but its not Sydney time or Qld time, just relax your on holiday and trust me after a few days you wont even notice that stuff might take a few extra minutes and you will start saying "fiji time"!!!!!!
Fiji is the most beautiful place and i highly reccomend it for anyone, singles, couples, famliles etc you can make your holiday whatever you want it to be. The shangri-la is perfect for families but as i normally travel with my boyfriend we fit in completly, you meet so many nice people, from honeymooners,older couples,young kids,parents etc.
I would suggest going to an island as part of your trip just so you can see the beautiful water and fish, the beaches are so much more beautiful on the islands. Also go into either nadi or sigatoka and do some shopping, its an experience but its real fiji, you see some crazy stuff but its what holidays are about, be adventureous and get into the local culture.
I could go on and on about fiji as you can see my name FIJILUVER, so if you want to ask me anything bout fiji id gladly respond.
Happy Holidays........
Gotta go im planning my next visit.............................
VINAKA VAKA LEVU (thank you very much)

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FIJILUVER
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Treat yourself and take the kids to the Shangrila!! It was a welcoming, clean resort that had all kinds of amenities and activities that we ALL enjoyed! The pool area was immaculate, the tours were well organised, the disco, games room and movie nights for the older kids kept them entertained while the adults could relax! I liked the handy shops to pick up the basics, and I liked the gym (which was well equipped and usually empty) to work off all those cocktails and huge meals!
The only tiny issue is that if your smaller children aren't too confident in a big crowd of kids-then the kids club is not the place for them-hire a fantastic babysitter instead! The kids club had at least 30 kids with only 2 carers (school holiday time) and they were busy concentrating with 1 child at at time with facepainting etc. This left 28 kids to their own devices and that ranged from crying inconsolably for 3 hours, to falling off swings, toilet accidents etc..Once was enough for us....Other that that I rate this resort highly!! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank iloveholsBondi
Reviewed March 25, 2009

It was my first time to Fiji. I wanted to do snorkelling. Shangrila Fijian advertises a reef off the coast but it is mostly rock with poor hard coral growth. Underwater, there is mostly seaweeds near the beach. I joined tours to the Mamanucas islands but the transfers is about 1 hr each way. I should have stayed at Nadi or Denarau. Another negative point is that there are too many kids. The adults only pool is very small. Drinks are very expensive and so are diving and fishing trips. We could not afford the fishing trips and joined the kids when they go line fishing at the jetty.

The resort has a nice landscape and buffet dinner is very good.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I went over with my husband and 6 year old son for our friends wedding, and overall had a good time. My husband was involved in an incident at the nightclub, with local guests of the hotel (not the hotel owner's son). On having a meeting the next day with the manager at our request, we were surprised to find out that these local guests who caused so much trouble the night before were being welcomed back in a few days time for a golf tournament by the manager. The Manager was not very sympathetic of our situation, and was neither very apologetic. My question was where was security? You go to Fiji for a nice break and relaxing time spent with friends, not to feel intimdated and scared to wander around the resort in fear of running into these group of 'local guests'.

Moving on from that, the Fijian service was great, especially one room service attendant who befriended us, and even took us to his village to take part in a Kava ceremony.

The food was very average with a very expensive price tag. We opted to only eat one meal a day (besides buffest breakfast) as it was just too expensive for our liking. On average a Kids Meal was about $15, adults about $40. I don't mind paying that price for a meal if it's worth it, however it wasn't in this case.

My son never went to the Kids Club, we checked out the Activities, which seemed OK for his age group, however when we went to the pool one day to check out the Kids Club pool basketball (which was scheduled for that time), no one was there. This happened on other days I checked too. Not too sure if maybe the Kids Club isn't a very big hit in off-peak times.

The Fire Walking Ceremony was very entertaining, good music etc, however again the food was miserable.

Overall I recommend if going to this resort, definitaly take your own alcohol, bottled water, as much snack foods as possible (especially for kids) and be prepared to fork out a bit of money in meals and activities, because no activities at the resort come free, everything has a price tag. You have to even pay for mini golf and tennis, which usually comes in the hotel price.

We did have a good time though, and don't regret going to Fiji, which I think we put down to Joe the room service attendant......we have become good friends with and will continue to stay in touch with. The FIJIANS are beautiful people and very loving of your children, don't be afraid to leave them with one of the babysitters!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank blp00
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Myself and a group of friends stayed here for a wedding. We had booked a room for 3 males and were told on out itinerary we would have 3 single beds. Upon arrival the room consisted of 2 doubles + 1 couch. When the staff were approached they said it was a 'travel agent issue' and did not make amends. The toilet seat had urine stains still on it, which meant the rooms were not completely cleaned before arrival which was disappointing given the price of a room per night.

On the evening of the wedding, the guests carried on to the resorts nightclub where we were harrassed and intimidated by a bunch of locals, one being the son of the resort's owner! The incident began when the owner's son started threatening one of our friends who was wearing a Queensland Rugby League shirt. The group clearly wanted to make trouble and the owner (who was present!) did not at all care. We were so angry given we had forked out $1000's dollars to spend at this resort for a joyous occasion. Our group was trying to get on with our night but the group began to physically start trouble and were eventually 'separated' from our party and allowed to still drink and carry on in the next room. When it got to the stage of me helping the bride and groom back to their room, i noticed 8 of them waiting for me, knowing that i would be alone when walking back to my room. I had to jump over a fence and run down the beach just to avoid being beaten by 8 locals INCLUDING THE OWNER'S SON! After spending over $2000 in going there for a wedding and a fun trip i completely regret this experience and given that this behaviour is acceptable by their staff to treat their paying guests like this, i would NOT recommend anyone to stay here.
The resort is full of families and children, however even this is a worry given the traumatizing and violent experience myself and my friends had endured.
Too expensive for what it was.
The food was ordinary and ridiculously overpriced, i paid $34 for an average spaghetti bolognaise, the buffet was overpriced and boring, the drinks were too expensive.

• Stayed: March 2009
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!