We decided to stay at the Shangri-la predominately as its location offered the best beaches etc on the Coral Coast - and that's about all the island has going for it. The room smelt strongly of mould and was very dirty. Could not sleep the first night as the bamboo rattan on the back of the bed stunk.. we needed to air the room for about 48 hours before the smell went.
The food was ridiculously expensive and mediocre quality. It was even more disappointing that on some evenings if there was a fire walking show on - some of the restaurants were closed and limited options were available to us. The facilities were average - sun chairs broken, snorkels broken and we weren't allowed to take the canoes or sail boats out if the wind was stronger than a soft breeze! The watersports staff were definetly on 'fiji time'. We could also wait as long as an hour for a drink or food order.
The staff need to brush up on their personal hygiene as many of the uniforms were dirty and stained - not a welcome look when coming to eat breakfast in the morning. I would also question the quality of the food provided.
I could imagine that the resort would have been wonderful - once - but if definetly needs some TLC. It is more like a 3 star expereince.
Something that really disappointed me about the resort is the strong selling that some wandering tour guides do while you are trying to relax by the pool. We had just settled for the day and had ordered the children some lunch when we were bombarded by a sales rep for the hotel selling the coming event or tour. This went on for about 20 minutes as I did not want to be rude and ask him to leave in front of the children. He did not draw breath and was extremely annoying. I noticed that he did this nearly every day that we were there by the pool.
Will not visit there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island