“Kids loved it! but its looking very tired”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Gold Coast Australia
“Kids loved it! but its looking very tired”
Reviewed November 12, 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Shangri La, with my family of four including two kids 9 & 1. I agree with some of the good and negative comments that this resort receives. To be brief, I experienced the following:

Good: The room was spacious and had undergone a repaint recently and was fine for us.
The general fiji staff are great if you are friendly and show courtesy to them. The staff at the lagoon terrace get very busy, but most are friendly. But you will wait for a drink.

I enjoyed lunch the most, especially the little restaurant at the coral pool on the ocean side. TaKali is also good for the view but limited menu.

We took the Natadola magical tour and would recommend it. I wish I had saved some of the Kids school stuff and toys for the little village kids that we visited after.

The room cleaning is sometimes hit and miss but mostly fine.
Great Nanny, Jose, who my children really liked. (ask ahead for her)

A room on the ground floor is great especially with kids, ours played on the grass in front, whilst we enjoyed afternoon drinks. Our 9 year old loved everything about this resort and could independently go everywhere.

The kids disco is a real hit with the kids.

Bad:
Front desk staff are not happy to serve or wecome you.
Requests to fix things like the hairdryer / clock etc in room ignored all week.

Upgraded to the ocean side but placed right near the service stairs and across from the housecleaning building and lift. Very noisy at most imes, especially when trying to keep an infant asleep. (room 439)

Expensive drinks and other activities.

The beach massage hut rescheduled a massage time 3 times and then it did not happen!

Lagoon terrace restaurant food can be very repetitive over the week.

The kids club is outdated and really needs a refit. The program was hit and miss and my 9 year old commented that the leader yelled at them and did not have manners! The staff here were older and could do with some younger more enthusiastic staff.

Quite alot of the buildings are looking quite tired and in need of repair.

The TV room and the facilities are also looking like they could have a real update and refresh.

Recommendations:
* Buy bottled water by the box and any alcohol/ spirits at the airport before leaving, we took water to the dinner table every night.You are able to buy mixers etc at the shop there
* We also took some kids snacks and wine with us in our bags.
* Jose the Nanny
* The clothes dryers are hopeless, take a lttle rope and pegs to dry things if you need.
* Take the meal plan it comes out alot cheaper and can be credited at the other restuarants at night.
*Your own snorkle and mask.
*Personal bug spray.

We would possible go back for the kids enjoyment, but know we can get that at most resorts and will probably try an island resort like Castaway, treasure etc next year.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, view, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Noisy room position.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank camclare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sutherland Shire, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2008

This holiday was not what I dreamt it would be. My husband, myself and 3 year old son were hanging out for this holiday and chose it on recommendation but from the start it was disappointing we didn't get the room we wanted, cleanliness of the room was very average, food very expensive and a bit of the same old buffet everyday and staff are not the traditionally happy falling over your feet fijians anymore.Kids club has not enough carers for so many kids there they don't fuss over the kids at all, so expect a lax attitude. Our airconditioning was not working for almost 2 days which we were compensated for which was something we were very greatful for but the matter was not handled apologetically by staff.Great location, beach beautiful, great snorkelling, and a must is to try Tomlous reataurant a few KMS away...great mudcrab for 35FJD, the staff are reluctant to tell you about it because the resort wants you stay within the resort, which you do need to get out of the confines but the resort is very secluded from any shops or restaurants apart from Geckos and Tomlous . We did still however relax and we made the holiday special because we were together.

• Liked — The comfy beds
  • Disliked — Expensive
4 Thank Rennie74
Sydney
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We have just returned from 10 wonderful nights at the Shangr La and had the best time. We travelled with 2 little girls (5 and 1) I must admit I read nearly all of the reports before we left and was starting to get concerned as there were quite a few negative comments, but i should not have been......as everything was wonderful.

The service and staff are fantatstic there warmth and calls of Bulla are infectous, also all of our requests were attended to efficently.
If you are a family of more than 1 child you definitely need a Ocean view family Room. they are the way to go without a doubt ground floor leading right out onto your patio and then onto the grass and the ocean. They do have Lagoon Family rooms but that is where the big pool is and the main beach so it is alot busier. We loved being in the Ocean Family area which has its only pool and cafe as well but just on a much smaller scale more relaxing and not far to walk into the lagoon pool area 5 mins. We really enjoyed everything the resort had to offer especially walking around the Island after breaky it only takes abpout 30 mins talking about the food the other reviewers have been right expensive for average - good food but u r on an island at a 4.5 star resort so really what do u expect I know they should have a cheaper options but instead ....Save your pennys and then go and enjoy and dont think about it remeber u r on holidays. Finally it is a 4 star resort not a 5 it is a little tired in places but the overall charm stuning location beautiful warm weather , friendleness on the staff and all the wonderful things to do will keep u very happy. Especially for the kiddies our 5 year ols had a ball with everything from kigs club, exploring the reef swimming making frineds and enjoying kids disco - best suited for families for sure. Vinaka enjoy !!!!

• Liked — Location, Staff , the Comfy bed, the view from the Ocean Family room, Kids Disco
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank CharmadSydney
Melbourne
Reviewed October 30, 2008

We stayed at the Shrang-ri La for 6 nights in a Ocean View Family, we were told how great this resort was and thought maybe try something different for half the holiday. We checked in and were given a map on how to get to our room and the room was a little old but ok but then to get to the lagoon pool was a bit of a walk, we ended up staying at the pool ocean side for the rest of the stay as the lagoon pool was always busy and you have to get there early to get a chair or two. The food was pretty average and what I found was the kids eat free at only 1 resturant and they get lunch packs from that same resturant, so if you want a change from eating buffet you have to pay for the kids to eat at other resturants and it becomes very pricey. Everything on the resort you have to pay to use ie. tennis, mini golf, banana boat ride eg. The only thing I can say I truely liked was the pillows, the staff at ocean pool resturant and the babysitter I had was fantastic, I even used her at the other resort. I can truely say I was looking forward to leaving after 6 nights and moving onto the Outrigger which was heaven. If anyone going with kids needs a great babysitter I can give you there names and numbers as our friends had a great lady as well.

• Liked — The Pillows
  • Disliked — The room was old and had no air con for 3 days
4 Thank happyMelbourne
Newcastle
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We have just returned from an 11 night trip to the Shagri-la Fijian and we found the experience great. I don't know what some of these other people are complaining about as we had none of the problems that they are stating.
I am so glad that we ignored some of the reviews that I read before going as we had the best time.
The staff were very friendly and accomodating to us. We had to wait in line for a short time at some of the dinner seatings but the staff worked so hard to try to speed the wait up. The worst thing about the holiday were the few holiday makers who thought the world revolved around them, these people spoke to the Fijian people like they were nothing and even pushed our children out of the line to get their food. Quite frankly these people deserved to be ignored by the staff.
I have two tips for anyone going to this resort.
1 -Purchase the pre paid meal deal from your travel agent.
2- Please treat the Fijian staff with the respect they deserve as they are lovely people and im sure you will get much better service.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Could have been a bit bigger.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank theRhinoNewcastle
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2008

We have just returned from our holiday at The Shangri La Fijian Resort. We stayed for 14 nights in a ground floor Ocean View family room - 2 adults and 2 kids ages 4 yrs & 7 yrs. This was our second visit to Fiji and our second stay at this resort, the previous trip was for 10 nights 3 years ago and we thought it was perfect but a bit too short which is why we stayed the full 14 nights this time.

It was the Australian school holidays and the resort was at 100% capacity for our entire stay so we did expect a bit of queueing, waiting and crowds but it was not a problem at all and the resort ran very smoothly with such a large amount of guests. Sometimes we did have to wait in line to collect the kids lunch boxes or to be seated at breakfast or dinner but it was never for very long and did not bother us at all and my kids never complained.

Breakfast is included and it is the usual buffet with all the breaky foods you would expect as well as the egg chef to cook your eggs. Always of a high standard. Kids under 12 eat free and there were plenty of lunch time choices, although what was listed on the menu for the day was not usually what was on offer when you went to collect it! My kids are both fussy but there was always something they liked. There were usually between 4 & 6 choices and always a couple of healthy options like sandwiches, vegetables and noodles. Most days chips (fries) are available but you dont have to choose them.....A drink is included (cordial) and a piece of fruit (apple, banana or watermelon - different each day). Our kids ate at the Buffet each evening and once again plenty to choose from and nice quality food. There is a pasta chef ready to cook what you or your kids would like and also a stir fry chef making fresh meals to order - always nice and quick. Fresh king prawns, oysters, mussels etc.

My husband and I bought a meal package this time for Lunch & Dinner and it was well worth it. We paid $42 Aussie per adult per day. We were able to order one course each from any restaurant open for lunch (you could choose a simple $10 sandwich or even go for a $40 steak) - one course from any of the 4 restaurants open at lunch time. For dinner we could have the Buffet or we would get a $49.50 Fijian dollar credit at any of the other 4 restaurants open for dinner or if you booked the Firewalking or Firedancing show you received the credit towards that. We tried all the restaurants. We were very happy with the meal package as it enabled us to prepay in advance and it basically worked out that lunch meals were free. We probably wouldn't have had lunch everyday if we didn't have the meal package because we would have had a bigger breakfast and an earlier dinner but it was nice to work our way through the lunch menu and try some yummy things. The food is definately much better than it was 3 years ago. We really enjoyed the food this time but we had fairly low expectations of it so that would have helped.

I had a facial and massage at the Chi Spa and it was a brilliant experience and very professional. I would highly recommend giving it a try if your budget allows.

My husband went game fishing and they caught plenty of Dolphin Fish and the Beach Bar and Grill cooked it up beautifully for us for dinner that night. Best fish meal I've ever had. The fishing trip was about $200 Fijian Dollars for 4 hours and was very well organised and run - a similar trip would cost well over $1500 here in Australia.

We were busy everyday as there was so much to do. This is a big resort and we like that because it gives you so many choices and everyday is different. My son had a very high fever for a couple of days so I took him to the Doctor at the Clinic in the resort and he gave him a thorough check up and provided a bottle of Panadol (paracetamol) and it was not expensive. Very handy to have a Dr there for peace of mind. Our room maid was always asking about my son's well being as she saw he was resting one afternoon and looked unwell. She was very sweet.

Even though the resort was full there were always Kayak's available, as well as life jackets, snorkeling gear, catamarans etc, Everything was in very good condition.

We went on the Banana Boat ride, Jet Ski, hired bikes one afternoon and rode around the island and visited the seaside chapel. There is a very new 18 hole mini golf course which our boys enjoyed a few times.

We traveled with 2 other families and one couple had a daily massage at the beach massage hut and said they were fantastic.

The Lagoon pool was busy most of the time but we spent our mornings at the Coral pool because it was near our room and then usually the afternoons were spent on the lagoon side, hanging out at the beach and the lagoon pool. We did plenty of snorkeling and saw lots of beautiful fish. We met some people who had just come from the islands and they said they saw the same fish but the coral was nicer. Many people will tell you that you must go to the islands but it depends of what else you are looking for in a holiday. We like to do a little bit of snorkeling but we also liked going to a different restaurant for dinner each night and all the other things available at a larger resort.

The kids loved the disco in the Black Marlin bar and they also loved the night time kids club from 6.30 to 9.30pm each night. We used the kids club every second night and had an adults only meal with the other 2 couples we travelled with and on the other nights we all went to the kids disco. Lots of fun.

The kids club is great and my kids went a couple of times during the day when there was something in particular that they liked happening but most of the time they were happy just swimming and playing with their friends.

Our room was plenty big enough for us and there was storage for us to put all our clothing and personal items away and stow out suitcases during our stay. We hardly spent anytime in the room anyway. Huge comfy king size bed - dreamy. The room was clean, air-conditioned and no smell. The TV has a kids cartoon channel which was good to put on for a few minutes at the end of the day to wind the kids down after such exciting evenings at Kids club or the disco!!! Our room was cleaned everyday and sometimes they turned our beds down too. The maid sometimes arrived at 9am to do the room and other times she cm at 5pm or somewhere in between. I don't care what time they come but it did get done everyday and we didn't have any musty smells in our room.

Our room had high speed broadband available for $5 per hour or $15 per day. My husband was able to plug his laptop in for 1 hour a day to keep on top of business and know that everything was under control and he could relax and not have to deal with thousands of emails on his first day back in the office.

I highly recommend this resort to anyone with kids. I would not recommend this resort to a couple looking for a romantic getaway.

I would rate with resort at about 4 to 4.5 star and I think it is priced accordingly. Your bill can certainly add up over 14 days but I didn't really find any of the prices over the top for an International resort. They dont advertise it but you can take your own wine to the restaurants and they charge $15 corkage per bottle. It may sound steep but the wine list is fairly pricey because all the wines are imported of course from Aus or NZ. We took our wine a few times and the corkage was worth it to have our own really good wine at a fraction of the cost if we bought it off the menu.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

• Liked — Bed, staff, food, Chi Spa, range of activites
  • Disliked — coffee
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank redrob1234
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Feel free to ask me any questions.

• Liked — Bed, staff, food, Chi Spa, range of activites
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,857 reviews

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!